Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

47 Years ago today (July 12th)
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: July 12, 2009 02:38

The Stones played their 1st gig...Marquee Club, London.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-12 02:42 by sdstonesguy.

Re: 47 Years ago today (July 12th)
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 12, 2009 12:07

The set list from Ian Stewart's diary

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 12, 2009 13:15

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 12, 2009 13:30

Thanks Deltics,I was looking for early Stones shots !smiling bouncing smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 12, 2009 14:34

"Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones" ?

How did Mick get this billing when Brian was supposedly the "leader" of the group ?

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: July 12, 2009 15:03

For those who can't decipher the handwritten setlist above:
(from www.nzentgraf.de)
620712A 12th July: THE ROLLIN’ STONES. London, Marquee International Jazz
Club (without BW & CW)
- Kansas City (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
- Baby What's Wrong (Willie Dixon)
- Confessin' The Blues (Walter Brown/Jay McShann)
- Bright Lights, Big City (Jimmy Reed/Mary Lee Reed)
- Dust My Blues (Elmore James)
- Down The Road Apiece (Tony Raye)
- I’m A Love You (Jimmy Reed)
- Bad Boy (Eddy Taylor)
- I Ain't Got You (Calvin Carter)
- Hush-Hush (Jimmy Reed)
- Ride 'Em On Down (Eddy Taylor)
- Back In The USA (Chuck Berry)
- Kind Of Lonesome (Jimmy Reed)
- Blues Before Sunrise (Elmore James)
- Big Boss Man (Luther Dixon/Al Smith)
- Don't Stay Out All Night (Billy Boy Arnold)
- Tell Me That You Love Me (Jimmy Reed)
- Happy Home (Elmore James)
Line-up: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr)/BJ (gtr)/STU (p)/Dick Taylor (bass)/Tony Chapman (dr)
Note: Contrary to common believe Mick Avory didn’t play this gig as drummer.
The Stones most probably didn’t play all these unverified songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-12 20:05 by midnrambler.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 12, 2009 15:20

great stuff, thanks a lot!

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: July 12, 2009 18:11

Surprised at the limited response to this. If the Stones have a birthday & nobody cares, did it really happen?

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 12, 2009 18:32

Thanks all for theses wonderful documents and informations!
Happy birthday to The Rolling Stones!
smileys with beer

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: July 12, 2009 18:45

I heard they're gonna do that setlist for next years tour!

Gotcha!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: July 12, 2009 19:05

midnrambler
For those who can't decipher the handwritten setlist above:

620712A 12th July: THE ROLLIN’ STONES. London, Marquee International Jazz
Club (without BW & CW)
- Kansas City (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)
- Baby What's Wrong (Willie Dixon)
- Confessin' The Blues (Walter Brown/Jay McShann)
- Bright Lights, Big City (Jimmy Reed/Mary Lee Reed)
- Dust My Blues (Elmore James)
- Down The Road Apiece (Tony Raye)
- I’m A Love You (Jimmy Reed)
- Bad Boy (Eddy Taylor)
- I Ain't Got You (Calvin Carter)
- Hush-Hush (Jimmy Reed)
- Ride 'Em On Down (Eddy Taylor)
- Back In The USA (Chuck Berry)
- Kind Of Lonesome (Jimmy Reed)
- Blues Before Sunrise (Elmore James)
- Big Boss Man (Luther Dixon/Al Smith)
- Don't Stay Out All Night (Billy Boy Arnold)
- Tell Me That You Love Me (Jimmy Reed)
- Happy Home (Elmore James)
Line-up: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr)/BJ (gtr)/STU (p)/Dick Taylor (bass)/Tony Chapman (dr)
Note: Contrary to common believe Mick Avory didn’t play this gig as drummer.
The Stones most probably didn’t play all these unverified songs.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post the above, midnrambler.
I didn't know that they played Elmore James in their early days - guess that was thanks to Brian.I note that you say they probably didn't play all of the numbers but at least they must have rehearsed them.
I don't recall any of the band mentioning Elmore James as an influence in their interviews but , no doubt, someone will prove me wrong!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 12, 2009 19:51

A very memorable day

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 12, 2009 20:24

Edith Grove
"Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones" ?

How did Mick get this billing when Brian was supposedly the "leader" of the group ?

I imagine it was probably something to do with the fact that Mick had been singing with Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated at the Marquee prior to this date and was therefore known to the club's regulars.

Dave Stevens, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Alexis Korner, Jack Bruce, MJ, Cyril Davies, Charlie Watts (you can just make out his ear!)

When the band got a gig on the BBC's "Jazz Club", on July 12, dear old Auntie Beeb wouldn't pay for seven musicians due to Musicians Union rules so Mick was dropped as both Korner and Cyril Davies would do the vocals.

The Stones filled in for Blues Incorporated that night and the rest is history!

Date: July 12, 2009 20:28

sdstonesguy
Surprised at the limited response to this. If the Stones have a birthday & nobody cares, did it really happen?

Doing my best, mate!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 12, 2009 20:49

Deltics
When the band got a gig on the BBC's "Jazz Club", on July 12, dear old Auntie Beeb wouldn't pay for seven musicians due to Musicians Union rules so Mick was dropped as both Korner and Cyril Davies would do the vocals.

"Mick dropped" sounds kinda funny now, doesn't it?

I can picture Alexis saying "Don't take it personally Mick, it's only business."

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: July 12, 2009 20:50

According to Stone Alone, the Stones had a repertoire of about 80 songs at
this time, and the Marquee gig line-up was Jagger, Richards, Jones (who was going by Elmo Lewis at the time), Ian Stewart, Dick Taylor (bass) and Mick Avery (drums).

Avery was sacked mid-summer 1962 and Tony Chapman (of Wyman's band the Cliftons) was hired. By fall Dick Taylor quit to go to art school and Wyman joined; his first gig being in December of 1962; in January 1963 Chapman was sacked and replaced by Charlie - and the first gig with the six man lineup of Jagger, Richards, Jones, Wyman, Watts and Stewart was 12 January 1963, Ealing Blues Club.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 12, 2009 21:14

Straight from the horse's mouth - It wasn't Mick Avory that day at the Marquee...

[www.eddybonte.be]

INTERVIEW WITH "KINK" MICK AVORY.
THE STORY THAT BILL WYMAN GOT WRONG: MICK AVORY’S TRUE INVOLVEMENT IN THE ROLLING STONES SAGA.

In the chapter about the very early days of The Rolling Stones’ saga in “Stone Alone”, Bill Wyman got one thing wrong: Mick Avory did not – read: not – occupy the drummer’s stool at their 12 July 1962 gig at The Marquee. Wyman also omits to mention Mick Avory’s real involvement, viz. two rehearsals with the embryonic Stones the weeks before that gig.

When we phone Mick Avory at his London home one day in March 2007, he suffers a horrible bronchitis. Friendly and helpful – apparently, some of my questions are not exactly new – he patiently replies to my questions through a number of bouts of cough. Mick Avory became The Kinks’ drummer in January 1964, but two years earlier he simply refused the vacant job of drummer with…The Rollin’ Stones (mind the spelling) who were then rehearsing for their famous 12 July 1962 gig at The Marquee. Mick Avory truly is a footnote to the Stones story, since his involvement is restricted to…two rehearsals at The Bricklayers Arms in Soho. Still, it’s worth listening to Mick’s story as it reflects a genuine and demystified context of the emerging pop, R&B and blues scene in 1962: innocence, ignorance, idealism, young guys trying to gain a few extra ££ and luck. Lots of luck.

Mr Avory, various sources like Wikipedia, www.drummerworld.com and even Bill Wyman’s book ‘Stone Alone’ claim you were the drummer at The Rollin’ Stones’ famous Marquee gig on 12 July 1962. But you say you weren’t. How did you become involved in the embryonic Rollin’ Stones in the first place?

Mick Avory: "The reason I came across Mick Jagger was that I had a day job and was doing gigs some evenings, usually weekends. One of the people I worked with was this young guy - , 14, 15 years old - he played the vibes and piano. His father was a drummer and a chimney sweep. He came round to my house to sweep the chimney and noticed the drums in the room and remarked: “You have a son playing drums, I could get him some work” - because I worked with his son see.

He used to advertise as a drummer in the Melody Maker and he got this contact from one Mick Jagger. He realized they were all youngsters and he was sixty back then and he passed the job on to me: “Do you want to do a gig at the Marquee with Alexis Korner?”. So I rang Mick Jagger who was unheard of then, it was 1962, he spoke to me and he said “Come up, we’ll run through a few things, got this gig to do”. (Note: Alexis Korner having other commitments, he passed the gig to Mick Jagger who subsequently had to put a group together and rehearse – ed.).

So I went out there. Keith was there, Elmo Jones was there - who was Brian Jones calling himself Elmo after Elmore James - they had this Chuck Berry thing in their heads. Everything would be Chuck Berry, we ran through Sweet Little Sixteen and a few more Chuck Berry songs. Ian Stewart, who was in the band then, was telling me all about this R&B thing that was coming in, how it was getting big and taking over the world, that it was only beginning in England. I was skeptical, I had a day job and I wasn’t at the time thinking of doing it for a living. I could do the gig, but I wasn’t really interested in joining a band.

So I went back a second time and rehearsed with them an said ‘If I do the gig, I wouldn’t want to carry on’. Ian said he understood. Ian Stewart was convinced this was gonna go somewhere. They were sort of fairly well-known in their own area. I wasn’t in the swing of things, so I didn’t know them. They were joust doing a few gigs around the area, like Ealing and Richmond. I hadn’t heard anything at the time, because I came from a town called Molesey, near Richmond. It was quite early in 1962, they were just piecing the band together and I didn’t even know what they were called”.

Mick Avory forgot about the rehearsals, the band and the music. Quite later, he picks up an issue of Jazz News and to his surprise sees himself listed under the “personnel” of a new band that one Mick Jagger had formed…

Mick Avory “That issue turned out to be a year old and there was a column that read ‘Mick Jagger forms a new group called The Rollin’ Stones’. I hadn’t realized what they were called, but they’d had a hit by then. That’s when I first realized that the guys I had rehearsed with were The Rolling Stones! I never actually did the gig, even though Wyman says I did. It’s such a long time ago, they’ve all forgotten”.

TONY CHAPMAN

Isn’t it strange that even recent sources keep on repeating that mistake? Apparently, they all copy Bill Wyman’s book.

Mick Avory: “Yeah, sounds like I did do it!”

That’s a good one! But who did the gig at the Marquee?

Mick Avory: “I think Tony Chapman did the gig at the Marque. I didn’t. I just rehearsed twice in the Bricklayer Arms in the Soho”. (Note: Chapman was the regular drummer for The Cliftons whose bass-player was…Bill Wyman)

I’m surprised you say they played so many Chuck Berry songs. Brian Jones for one wasn’t exactly into Chuck Berry.

Mick Avory: “I don’t remember that much about it. Everyone just played along, whatever people’s preferences were. It’s probably Mick Jagger and Keith Richards who picked up the Chuck Berry stuff. I spoke to Ian more than anyone and he was assuring me that this Chuck Berry stuff it was something new over here; these songs were recorded in the fifties but not released here. They used to get exports. These were all black guys, they weren’t pushed around the world”.

Do you have memories of this or that Rolling Stone in particular?

Mick Avory: “Brian Jones seemed to be very into himself. He wasn’t that friendly, more on his own, keeping himself to himself. Mick was fairly friendly and Ian was kept fairly quiet. I remember thinking ‘Elmo’ was a strange name not knowing it came from Elmore James. But I can’t really remember. It wasn’t my world, it was a different world. Strange the way it came about. That’s all there was to it, really”.

Date: July 13, 2009 00:36

This is an excerpt from "The Rolling Stones Story" narrated by Alexis Korner broadcast by the BBC in April 1973 with Mick and Ian Stewart telling of the early days at the Ealing Jazz Club and how the first gig at the Marquee came about:
Early Days.mp3 - 16.83MB
You can listen to this without downloading.

Alexis' memory is a bit off as he claims that the first gig was in June '62.

You can download the complete six part series from Zagalo's excellent post here:
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 13, 2009 16:00

excellent pictures, many thanks.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: July 13, 2009 19:29

If they do make 50 years I hope they don't have another exclusive concert for VIPs like they did in Spain a few years ago, that was unforgivable. Please Mick n Keith put a club show on for the REAL fans like you did in 2003.

John Nicholls

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: February 7, 2010 02:33

Did anyone notice that the setlist in Stu's diary is written on a agenda page from january 1961?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2006
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home