Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Bedspring Symphony" question
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 30, 2009 20:18

This record changed my life - I just dug out my original with that great yellow taped-on xerox "cover" - back in about 1976 I bought it in a record store while visiting family in Doylestown, PA. Had no clue what it was, but what I heard was surreal - the best performance (IMO) by any band before or since.

So I just put it on the table to hear once more, scratches and all, and I'd totally forgotten about the cheesy, 1940s-style intro about how recording techniques had improved, making the sounds "as crystal clear as the stars in the eyes of the girl you're dancing with" (or something like that)

anyone know the story behind the intro? Just a random act of goofiness? Any more to it?

Man this record is sweet...

Re: "Bedspring Symphony" question
Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: June 30, 2009 20:40

hbwriter
I'd totally forgotten about the cheesy, 1940s-style intro about how recording techniques had improved, making the sounds "as crystal clear as the stars in the eyes of the girl you're dancing with" (or something like that)

anyone know the story behind the intro? Just a random act of goofiness? Any more to it?

It was the bootlegger's sense of humor. The 40s-style announcer bit was taken from an actual old infomercial from the 70s peddling big band recordings from the 30s and 40s. It was used by the bootlegger as a way of poking fun at the run-of-the-mill aud recordings of the Stones that had become very common, and to highlight how spectacular the stereo "Bedspring Symphony" recording is.

Of course, "Bedspring Symphony" uses the King Biscuit Flower Hour live syndicated program from 1974 that the Stones officially licensed for broadcast...and much of that broadcast was Brussels 10/17/73, the rest was from London a week or so earlier.

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 30, 2009 20:44

I finally got that quad version of the Brussels King Biscuit show from '73 downloaded on a DVD

it does sound pretty spectacular; very clear and it has more there to meet the ear than on cd

Jagger, Wyman and Watts are front and center, Keith is front right channel; Mick Taylor is rear left channel and horns are in rear right channel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-30 20:44 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: July 1, 2009 00:40

hbwriter
This record changed my life - (...) what I heard was surreal - the best performance (IMO) by any band before or since.

That's how it was for me, too. This record was different from everything else.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 1, 2009 02:13

too slick for my liking...prefer Ya Ya's any day....MT was just too out front by late 73 tour....

Although, the KBFH tapes sound a LOT better than any boots..

JR

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 1, 2009 03:20

I have this album, and it is unique. However, stone-relics has a point. The compressed-for-FM-radio sound takes away from the "concert atmosphere". This record, and the multitude of expanded LPs/CDs over the years shows this consistent problem. In reality, it sounds TOO good, so people assume this is what the Stones actually sounded like onstage. The postproduction has since added to the legend/mythology surrounding these recordings.

Seriously, we do need to de-mythologize the so-called "Brussels" concert from Sept 17, 1973.

That being said, when I first heard this as a teenager many years ago, my first thought was "Holy Sh*t! They really ARE better than Led Zeppelin!" smiling smiley

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: July 1, 2009 03:32

bassplayer617
Seriously, we do need to de-mythologize the so-called "Brussels" concert from Sept 17, 1973.

One quick way to do that is to play the sbd songs that exist from the Brussels late show from Sept. 17, 1973. They sound like s**t, both the sonics, and the band's performance itself.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 1, 2009 08:54

wow, this is a good thread, tho it has not many posts yet, but its like everyone is on the mark with their comments and questions. That more threads could be like this.

I have too many followup comments but will limit myself to a response to Taylor Era: I assume u own a quad system from your comments, I thought quad fell by the wayside years ago?

so the DVD really does give a broader possible range to the audio, more than a cd?

IF all u have is a plain old stereo, then I would assume one cannot hear any benefits of the quad version?

plexi

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: July 1, 2009 09:10

quad version of the Brussels King Biscuit show from '73

a post on hot stuff ???

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 1, 2009 10:53

hbwriter
This record changed my life - I just dug out my original with that great yellow taped-on xerox "cover" - back in about 1976 I bought it in a record store while visiting family in Doylestown, PA. Had no clue what it was, but what I heard was surreal - the best performance (IMO) by any band before or since.

So I just put it on the table to hear once more, scratches and all, and I'd totally forgotten about the cheesy, 1940s-style intro about how recording techniques had improved, making the sounds "as crystal clear as the stars in the eyes of the girl you're dancing with" (or something like that)

Man this record is sweet...

thumbs up

I felt the same ,remember the 1 st time I heard it,how surprised I was by hearing the "old " sound music and the comments about recording ,it was just great !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 1, 2009 14:29

highanddry
bassplayer617

One quick way to do that is to play the sbd songs that exist from the Brussels late show from Sept. 17, 1973. They sound like s**t, both the sonics, and the band's performance itself.

you serious?? The Brussels #2 show isn't as slick as the first show but certainly not "sh**t" !!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 1, 2009 16:42

highanddry
bassplayer617

Actually the lost 10 or so shows from the '73 tour are just fantastic, they were really at their best then. Even the very mediocre sounding Antwerp tape shows that they are hot.

Check out the audience tape of the first Brussels show -it takes nothing away from the radio broadcast.

Mathijs

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: July 1, 2009 16:43

stone-relics
.MT was just too out front by late 73 tour....
JR

Do you mean volume or musicianship?

For the better quality audience recordings, the two guitarists seem generally matched.
For the lesser quality audience recordings, Richards is way out in front. I hear Taylor generally only during the solos, and then not the lower notes, while Richards is very audible.
Frankfurt is one of the very few exceptions.
(And Taylor seemed (to me) more outfront in the '72 audience recordings (again with limited exceptions, like Chicago and one of the SF shows).)

While each seat has its own sonics, the audience recordings from '73 suggest Richards was way out front. The early mix of the Brussels tapes was done to someone's taste, not to match the hall sound--as one can readily tell from the audience tape of that show.

Musically, there may be a different answer though . . .

Date: July 1, 2009 20:11

''I have too many followup comments but will limit myself to a response to Taylor Era: I assume u own a quad system from your comments, I thought quad fell by the wayside years ago?

so the DVD really does give a broader possible range to the audio, more than a cd?

IF all u have is a plain old stereo, then I would assume one cannot hear any benefits of the quad version?''

.. ok well I have a 5 channel setup, but nothing comes out of the center channel, so it's only producing sound from the two fronts and two rears

after listening a few more times, MT is sort of split between the front left and rear left channels

the guitars (MT and Keith) are balanced in volume

the thing is, I find, because you are sitting in the middle of all four speakers you really get a sense of being within the music..there are truly four distinct and separate channels operating here

very cool

you can't play it on a plain old or any regular stereo system, because it is a DVD; on my other TV/sound system, which only has 2.1 stereo, I can play and hear the DVD but don't get the full effect, obviously

''quad version of the Brussels King Biscuit show from '73

a post on hot stuff ???''

I googled around and found a torrent for it

Rolling Stones - 1973-10-17 - Brussels Affair - QUAD - Audio Pre-FM - DVD

[www.tapecity.org]

pre-fm

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-01 20:17 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 3, 2009 10:41

Thank you Taylor Era for posting the link. My CD copy of Brussels 1973 just stopped working so I am very pleased to have new copy.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: July 3, 2009 10:53

any post of it on hot stuff ?????????? yawning smiley

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 3, 2009 11:05

What about the one from Wolfgang Vaults ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: July 3, 2009 12:49

Best bootleg album of all time for me. I got it in 1974 and was totally amazed that the Stones could sound so thunderous and wild. I still love it - only regret is that JJF is not up to par compared to GS, MR and BS.

Date: July 5, 2009 18:10

any post of it on hot stuff ??????????

..there might be already but I could if you want

Date: July 5, 2009 20:16

highanddry
bassplayer617

Why? So that we can then...what?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home