Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Don Was currently mixing Exile outtakes?
Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 22, 2009 17:21

I don't like the Don Was approach to how a Stones cut must sound, either how it's produced or might be mixed, period. I might presume he will take sort of the same road with the mixing as he would be with the producing of Stones songs. He has a pretty defined signature.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 22, 2009 17:36

so what about the relevance of the mixing if the effect of a bunch of different mixers cant be heard thru the work of that mighty producer? i see a contradiction here

anyway as I explained in my previous post I dont like very much Don Was either - fmostly for what he seems to be not that for what it is his contribution to the stones mudic which frankly I can not discern - but I think it is the band chief(s) that must get the most of the blame about how the sound of their last records is cut.

I dont think that Don Was can do that harm to those outtakes and sure enough I beleive he is doing things as Mick wants and to Mick and Keith will be the last word on the mixing work.

And then you keep on being abstract about what you dont like about Don Was work, you talk about "approach" "road" "signature" what do those words mean? Explain that to me, quote other Don Was work outside the stones to clarify what his "signature" is. Because I dont know. Give more information and less metaphors please to try to convince me...

Date: June 22, 2009 17:43

Give more information and less metaphors please to try to convince me...

The monitor mixes

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 22, 2009 17:46

releasing an EP with 6 best outtakes would make me high indeed smiling smiley

Date: June 22, 2009 17:47

quote other Don Was work outside the stones to clarify what his "signature" is. Because I dont know

Horrible stuff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-22 17:48 by slasausjes.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 22, 2009 17:58

"The monitor mixes"

Is that it?

And you think Din Was was responsible solely for the resulting sound of the Steel Wheels album?

Date: June 22, 2009 18:04

Pretty much, as it was his job, and yes, Jagger / Richards had the final word, but let's be honest, The Glimmer Twins from 1989 onwards isn't the same as The Glimmer Twins 1971. And these Exile outtakes do come from 1971. I don't think they really care too much about how these outtakes will be mixed nowadays, otherwise they would do it themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-22 18:15 by slasausjes.

Date: June 22, 2009 18:12

In your opinion.....

Date: June 22, 2009 18:13

The monitor mixes was a joke.......as it was produced by Kimsey. but you've got 10 outtake / mixes cd's from the VL album, you make up your mind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-22 18:16 by slasausjes.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 22, 2009 19:21

Get the albums right.

Is this what is going on - the blissful spread of ignorance and ranting? You know nothing.

Date: June 22, 2009 19:25

skipstone
Get the albums right.

Is this what is going on - the blissful spread of ignorance and ranting? You know nothing.

I do not spread anything besides my opinion. And you are right, I know nothing, but that's not for you to point out, I allready have a girlfriend. About the albums mixed up: please read more careful before judging.

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: June 22, 2009 19:27

Outtakes from Exile?

Personally, I'd love to hear a full-length "Just Wanna See His Face". Maybe it stinks, or maybe it's fantastic, but the short bit actually included on Exile is my favorite track on the entire album. I'd love to hear more.

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: June 22, 2009 19:29

Well wasnt there a lot of disagreement about the final version of voodoo lounge and the album the stones wanted and the one Was put out.Maybe its not just a coincedence the release of all the sessions on bootleg

Date: June 22, 2009 19:34

YOU are the one that agreed that Don Was was responsible for the sound of Steel Wheels. Ablett asked you about Din Was for the SW sound and you responded with a yes.

Better go talk to your girlfriend, get straightened out.

Date: June 22, 2009 19:37

Really Skipstone, you need to relax a bit. It was a joke. Do not know who Din Was is, but I'll bet my lady knows. Greetings.

Date: June 22, 2009 19:39

STOP BEING SO SERIOUS!

Ha ha.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 22, 2009 19:53

ablett
"no, Im just happy that the ball starts rolling as it seems!"

And the exact problem is?

Don Was mixing?

Is it REALLY that big a deal?

Shouldn't you be thankfully that the ball is at least beginning to roll (although there's no official word yet??) if its not EXACTLY what you want???

ablett? youre asking me? I think I made my point clear that I have no problems whatsoever with the release of Exile outtakes, regardless of whos mixing them.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 22, 2009 19:57

If Was brings out "Good Time Women," "Traveling Man," "Hillside Blues," acoustic "All Down the Line," "Exile on Main Street Blues," "I Don't Care," "Fragile" (aka "It's Funny" or "Fast Talking"), and something from the Dallas rehearsals like "32-20 Blues" or "When You Got a Good Friend" I'll be pleased. I really expect it will be familiar outtakes in slightly improved quality seeing release just like "Too Many Cooks" on THE VERY BEST OF MICK JAGGER. They know the outtakes from that era are largely releasable, they'll finally sanction them officially and collect royalties like they should have done ages ago. It probably won't be spectacular, but anyone who doesn't buy the official release only proves the argument against tolerating bootleggers in the first place.

Date: June 22, 2009 21:42

Chill big bad alimente! I was asking the No. 1 Don Was fanclub aka: slasausjes

Date: June 22, 2009 22:44

ablett
Chill big bad alimente! I was asking the No. 1 Don Was fanclub aka: slasausjes

Good to know, thanks! I already told my near-heart attack to cool down too!

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: July 16, 2009 00:44

Rocky Dijon
If Was brings out "Good Time Women," "Traveling Man," "Hillside Blues," acoustic "All Down the Line," "Exile on Main Street Blues," "I Don't Care," "Fragile" (aka "It's Funny" or "Fast Talking"), and something from the Dallas rehearsals like "32-20 Blues" or "When You Got a Good Friend" I'll be pleased. I really expect it will be familiar outtakes in slightly improved quality seeing release just like "Too Many Cooks" on THE VERY BEST OF MICK JAGGER. They know the outtakes from that era are largely releasable, they'll finally sanction them officially and collect royalties like they should have done ages ago. It probably won't be spectacular, but anyone who doesn't buy the official release only proves the argument against tolerating bootleggers in the first place.

I like the song Traveling Man. Is there a list of songs from the Dallas rehersels?

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 16, 2009 03:54

...yes there is

23rd June: Dallas, Texas, Sumet-Burnet Recording Studio. Tour-rehearsals
(Jungle Disease) Jam 1 1.33
- (Jungle Disease) Jam 2 3.30
- Blues Jam 5.20 -instrumental
- Slim Harpo Jam 3.11 -instrumental
- Let It Loose 1 (MJ/KR) 0.20 -guitar only
- Let It Loose 2 (MJ/KR) 0.44 -instrumental, broken off
- Let It Loose 3 (MJ/KR) 1.22 -broken off
- Let It Loose 4 (MJ/KR) 1.40 -instrumental, broken off
- Let It Loose 5 (MJ/KR) 4.00 -broken off
- Let It Loose 6 (MJ/KR) 2.55 -middle part only
- Blues Jam 1.11 -instrumental
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) 3.10 -instrumental
- Jam 2.17 -instrumental
- Ventilator Blues 1 (MT/Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) 5.46
- Ventilator Blues 2 (MT/Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) 3.03
- Jam 1.40 -instrumental
- Sweet Black Angel (MJ/KR) 2.40 -instrumental
- Don't Lie To Me (Chuck Berry) 0.23
- Shake Your Hips 1 (James Moore) 1.10 -broken off
- Shake Your Hips 2 (James Moore) 3.38
- Let It Loose 7 (MJ/KR) 3.43
- Let It Loose 8 (MJ/KR) 0.40 -instrumental
- Shave 'Em Dry (Trad.) 0.26
- Key To The Highway (William Broonzy/Charles Segar) 5.58
- 32-20 Blues (Robert Johnson) 1.42
- When You Got A Good Friend (Robert Johnson) 2.10
- Torn And Frayed 1 (MJ/KR) 0.28 -broken off
- Torn And Frayed 2 (MJ/KR) -0.40 -instrumental, broken off
- Torn And Frayed 3 (MJ/KR) -3.40 -instrumental
- Rock Jam 0.38 -instrumental
- The Last Time (MJ/KR) 0.20 -guitar only
- Satisfaction 1 (MJ/KR) 4.41 -instrumental
- Satisfaction 2 (MJ/KR) 2.40 -instrumental
- Monkey Man (MJ/KR) 2.42 -instrumental
- (Whip's Crack) Jam 5.10 -instrumental
- (Tiger Snarl) Jam 1.50 -instrumental
+ lots of tuning

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Date: July 16, 2009 04:20

Sohoe
...yes there is

23rd June: Dallas, Texas, Sumet-Burnet Recording Studio. Tour-rehearsals
(Jungle Disease) Jam 1 1.33
- (Jungle Disease) Jam 2 3.30
- Blues Jam 5.20 -instrumental
- Slim Harpo Jam 3.11 -instrumental
- Let It Loose 1 (MJ/KR) 0.20 -guitar only
- Let It Loose 2 (MJ/KR) 0.44 -instrumental, broken off
- Let It Loose 3 (MJ/KR) 1.22 -broken off
- Let It Loose 4 (MJ/KR) 1.40 -instrumental, broken off
- Let It Loose 5 (MJ/KR) 4.00 -broken off
- Let It Loose 6 (MJ/KR) 2.55 -middle part only
- Blues Jam 1.11 -instrumental
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) 3.10 -instrumental
- Jam 2.17 -instrumental
- Ventilator Blues 1 (MT/Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) 5.46
- Ventilator Blues 2 (MT/Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) 3.03
- Jam 1.40 -instrumental
- Sweet Black Angel (MJ/KR) 2.40 -instrumental
- Don't Lie To Me (Chuck Berry) 0.23
- Shake Your Hips 1 (James Moore) 1.10 -broken off
- Shake Your Hips 2 (James Moore) 3.38
- Let It Loose 7 (MJ/KR) 3.43
- Let It Loose 8 (MJ/KR) 0.40 -instrumental
- Shave 'Em Dry (Trad.) 0.26
- Key To The Highway (William Broonzy/Charles Segar) 5.58
- 32-20 Blues (Robert Johnson) 1.42
- When You Got A Good Friend (Robert Johnson) 2.10
- Torn And Frayed 1 (MJ/KR) 0.28 -broken off
- Torn And Frayed 2 (MJ/KR) -0.40 -instrumental, broken off
- Torn And Frayed 3 (MJ/KR) -3.40 -instrumental
- Rock Jam 0.38 -instrumental
- The Last Time (MJ/KR) 0.20 -guitar only
- Satisfaction 1 (MJ/KR) 4.41 -instrumental
- Satisfaction 2 (MJ/KR) 2.40 -instrumental
- Monkey Man (MJ/KR) 2.42 -instrumental
- (Whip's Crack) Jam 5.10 -instrumental
- (Tiger Snarl) Jam 1.50 -instrumental
+ lots of tuning

[www.nzentgraf.de]

My friend from TSP waits for a call from Mick because he has the original tapes... Copying it from an inferior boot is always an option, though!

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: July 16, 2009 05:03

alimente

My friend from TSP waits for a call from Mick because he has the original tapes... Copying it from an inferior boot is always an option, though!

Musically, the Dallas rehearsals are mostly crap and I don´t think the Stones are planning to release two hours worth of tune-ups and endless noodling.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 16, 2009 10:26

Interesting that the Dallas rehearsals only include a few tracks that were performed on the tour. Did the band not rehearse their set list?

There is footage on CS Blues of a great instrumental version of YCAGWYW being rehearsed - was this filmed in Dallas?

Date: July 16, 2009 11:07

Tornandfrayed
[Musically, the Dallas rehearsals are mostly crap and I don´t think the Stones are planning to release two hours worth of tune-ups and endless noodling.

Yes, exactly. What exactly were they 'rehearsing'? I honestly dont get it why the Stones should even think about releasing anything from this stuff.

Posted by: Tiger Lili ()
Date: July 16, 2009 14:34

If the rhythm guitar player is also playing melody, that’s a pretty unique situation. Normally the rhythm guitar player plays in the holes, where the singer isn’t singing. In the Stones’ case, however, the rhythm guitar player is doing what the lead guitar player normally does, and he’s playing the melody that the singer is singing, simultaneously. However, there’s a little disparity in where they feel the phrasing. Mick is more or less a rhythmically straight up-and-down singer. He’s in the grid, whereas Keith has a more languid approach. That’s how Keith sings, as well. The place where they clash—where it gets a little messy, and they don’t land on the melody at the same time—is what the Rolling Stones’ sound is all about. It’s not messy. Basically it’s a duet—a duet of the melody, by Keith and Mick. And if you don’t have that, you don’t have a Rolling Stones record..

Thanks Sway for this interwiew. A lot of people are talking about how the Stones play, and usually, it's more about technics, music, recording, playing and it's the first time I read somebody who describes a soul alchemy translated in music; and for the Stones it's very complex and very deep. I don't like what Don Was is doing to the Stones music, but I think he caught something from the Stones's spirit. I'm sad because my english is too bad to translate exactly what I mean, but I hope you can understand.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 16, 2009 15:15

Rocky Dijon
If Was brings out "Good Time Women," "Traveling Man," "Hillside Blues," acoustic "All Down the Line," "Exile on Main Street Blues," "I Don't Care," "Fragile" (aka "It's Funny" or "Fast Talking"), and something from the Dallas rehearsals like "32-20 Blues" or "When You Got a Good Friend" I'll be pleased. (...)

Is "Fragile (aka It's Funny or Fast Talking)" the song that Mick sings in the CS Blues movie? It sounds so awesome and I've always wondered what song it is.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: July 16, 2009 16:23

Isn't this video from around 3 years ago, maybe 4?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 16, 2009 22:50

alimente
Tornandfrayed
[Musically, the Dallas rehearsals are mostly crap and I don´t think the Stones are planning to release two hours worth of tune-ups and endless noodling.

Yes, exactly. What exactly were they 'rehearsing'? I honestly dont get it why the Stones should even think about releasing anything from this stuff.

There's a piece on the rehearsals in Greenfields STP book, which basically outlines how they felt the performances needed a bit of fine tuning and that as they had a couple of days off they decided to do some mid-tour rehearsals. In the end, the whole thing descended into chaos and they barely played a single song the whole way through.

IMO, the most logical reason for this rehearsal was the fact that a couple of days later they were filming the four Dallas and Fort Worth showsfor 'Ladies & Gentlemen' (and the Ft Worth shows were also used for the unreleased live album)

There's no way they'd put out this stuff. Its absolutely unreleasable and adds nothing to the 'Exile' project. Just because it circulates in excellent quality doesnt make it potentially releasable - they probably have lots of similar stuff that we've never heard thats superior in every way.

Oddly enough for some time this material circulated as Exile outtakes, until a quick glance through Greenfield's book by anyone with a bit of logic tracked it down to the Dallas rehearsal material.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1461
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home