Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"fender rhodes" - "hohner clavinet" - "wurlitzer 200a" ... on rolling stones song(s)...
Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: June 16, 2009 14:33

can anyone tell me on which songs the stones (billy preston, nicky hopkins, ian mcclagan) used one of these instruments?

did they ever used a wurlitzer 200a?
is it right that the clavinet can be heard on "heartbreaker", "100 years ago" and "fingerprint file"?
is it a fender rhodes on "fool to cry"?

thank you very much for your help!!

Re: "fender rhodes" - "hohner clavinet" - "wurlitzer 200a" ... on rolling stones song(s)...
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 16, 2009 14:37

Eectric piano Fender Rhodes, and Wurlitzer were used by Pierre de Beauport on "Thief In The Night " (B to B )

Electric Piano [Wurlitzer] by Don Was on "How Can't Stop "

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-16 14:39 by SwayStones.

Re: "fender rhodes" - "hohner clavinet" - "wurlitzer 200a" ... on rolling stones song(s)...
Date: June 16, 2009 14:38

Fender Rhodes by Jagger on Memory Motel and Fool To Cry. By Chuck Leavell on She Was Hot (?). Preston plays Clavinet on Heartbreaker, 100 Years Ago and Fingerprint File. On If You Can't Rock Me, too?

Date: June 16, 2009 14:43

"Just Want To See His Face" : Fender Rhodes

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: June 16, 2009 14:55

it was during the fall of 1978 and i was playing piano on an elkie brooks tour of the uk when engineer, chris kimsey called and asked me if I could come to paris and replace some of ian maclagan's keyboards on the current rolling stones recording sessions

i was a little apprehensive but we got through two or three tracks, me replacing ian maclagan's original hammond organ, fender rhodes and wurlitzer electric pianos.

[www.timhinkley.com]

Date: September 20, 2010 22:27

DandelionPowderman
Fender Rhodes by Jagger on Memory Motel and Fool To Cry. By Chuck Leavell on She Was Hot (?). Preston plays Clavinet on Heartbreaker, 100 Years Ago and Fingerprint File. On If You Can't Rock Me, too?

i think jagger is playing a real piano on Memory Motel. no fender rhodes.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 20, 2010 22:34

What is used on Worried about you ?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 21, 2010 00:34

FoolToCry

i think jagger is playing a real piano on Memory Motel. no fender rhodes.

isn't it keith on the real piano?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 21, 2010 05:49

>>is it right that the clavinet can be heard on "heartbreaker", "100 years ago" and "fingerprint file"? verified, positive!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 21, 2010 05:55

Mick is on the concert piano and Keith is on the keyboard, surprisingly. I always thought it should have been opposite. That's what the credits on the LP jacket state. I believe the first edition of Barbara Cherone's Keith bio has a photo of Mick and Keith on piano and keyboard respectively facing one another during the recording of this track.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 21, 2010 06:17

If You Let Me has a Wurlitzer.
Are you sure Just Wanna See His Face has a Rhodes?
Sounds like a Wurlitzer to me.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 21, 2010 06:53

tomk
If You Let Me has a Wurlitzer.
Are you sure Just Wanna See His Face has a Rhodes?
Sounds like a Wurlitzer to me.

Indeed, on You Gotta Move too.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 23, 2010 15:03

Wurlitzer on Miss You. In general, Mac seems partial to Wurlitzer electric pianos.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 23, 2010 16:50

ab
Wurlitzer on Miss You. In general, Mac seems partial to Wurlitzer electric pianos.
j Mac very big on the wurlitzer...tons of faces trax and shows itz on most of the best Faces songs.very distinct sound. on a lot of elvis trax his last years of recording alla those big weepy ballads especially. and of course there it is on stones tour 81. wurlie will give u that percussive dynamic making it {imo} super for 16th note rhythm rokkin heaven. the rhodes sounds more muted and its industry standard or Wa so for a very long time buy personally ive always thought it more suited for jazz or pop things. like that grey haired piano cat who used to be in the doobie brothers. micahel sunthing. that mellow awful limp lame pristine boring utilitarian shit. wurlies r very nice for ballad work as well as having fast action for rokkkk. with rolllll. the classic vibrato very nice too in the wurlie. fender wud be less the rock and roll instrument in this regard imo.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 23, 2010 16:53

Koen

anyone?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 24, 2010 07:51

Beelyboy
ab
j Mac very big on the wurlitzer...tons of faces trax and shows itz on most of the best Faces songs.very distinct sound. on a lot of elvis trax his last years of recording alla those big weepy ballads especially. and of course there it is on stones tour 81. wurlie will give u that percussive dynamic making it {imo} super for 16th note rhythm rokkin heaven. the rhodes sounds more muted and its industry standard or Wa so for a very long time buy personally ive always thought it more suited for jazz or pop things. like that grey haired piano cat who used to be in the doobie brothers. micahel sunthing. that mellow awful limp lame pristine boring utilitarian shit. wurlies r very nice for ballad work as well as having fast action for rokkkk. with rolllll. the classic vibrato very nice too in the wurlie. fender wud be less the rock and roll instrument in this regard imo.

The Fender Rhodes has that rounder, more reverberating tone that worked on the first Miles Davis electric records, but became really annoying by the mid-70's (e.g., Still Crazy After All These Years, anything by Steely Dan). I prefer the cheesier, harder tone of the Wurlitzer (e.g., Bob Dylan's first electric live band, Faces, Mott the Hoople) for rock 'n' roll.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: September 24, 2010 12:59

Koen
It sounds like a Wurlitzer to me. It's definitely not a Fender Rhodes.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: September 27, 2010 10:51

Are there any Stones numbers which use a Yamaha CP70 electroacoustic concert piano?

Posted by: MagicYear73 ()
Date: September 27, 2010 15:06

Suprised noone mentions Jiving Sister Fanny with its kickass Wurlitzer 200a. The reason I wanted to have one (and eventually owned one). Nothing beats a Wurlitzer.

Date: September 27, 2010 18:53

a fender rhodes can be heard on "slave". i really think it is one...but i donĀ“t know it.

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: September 27, 2010 21:15

Mac used to use the Wurly quite much indeed. I wish he still did. It's a shame to see him with a Nord (the shiny red keyboard). Their Wurly sound is pretty good, but nothing compared to the real deal. But it is hard to carry a Wurlitzer around.

I always liked Chuck's Wurly playing, e.g. on Out of Control live or She Was Hot in studio (in the verses, the ugly digital piano in de choruses is a different story).

Fool To Cry is probably a Rhodes Suitcase with the vibrato on. Sounds like it to me.

Worried About You: Jagger is seen playing a Rhodes in the video, but you could have fooled me. Sure sounds like a Wurlitzer, especially the bite. But it could be a Rhodes played loud through a Twin.

Emotional Rescue features a Rhodes too.

BTW: Interesting to listen to Jagger playing keyboards. He plays pretty 'big', which is kinda strange for an occasional piano player, like him. Like on Fool to Cry, the intro 'riff'. Hard to describe in words, but when he plays that F-chord and adds a Dm7 on top, adding that c is really nice and unexpected.

Mac usually plays pretty 'small', like on Tin Soldier; it's all just two keys with the right hand. And Miss You is pretty small as well, especially on the Am bit. Just a+d to g+c. He is such a brilliant player. Miss Judy is a showcase for the Wurlitzer.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 27, 2010 21:46

The keyboards make Goat's Head Soup and Their Satanics sound different to the rest of the catalogue. It's not the songs but this is the reason underneath why they are discussed here so often.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-28 00:14 by JJHMick.

Date: September 27, 2010 22:48

thijs1981
Fool To Cry is probably a Rhodes Suitcase with the vibrato on. Sounds like it to me.

Worried About You: Jagger is seen playing a Rhodes in the video, but you could have fooled me. Sure sounds like a Wurlitzer, especially the bite. But it could be a Rhodes played loud through a Twin.

Emotional Rescue features a Rhodes too.

BTW: Interesting to listen to Jagger playing keyboards. He plays pretty 'big', which is kinda strange for an occasional piano player, like him. Like on Fool to Cry, the intro 'riff'. Hard to describe in words, but when he plays that F-chord and adds a Dm7 on top, adding that c is really nice and unexpected.

Mac usually plays pretty 'small', like on Tin Soldier; it's all just two keys with the right hand. And Miss You is pretty small as well, especially on the Am bit. Just a+d to g+c. He is such a brilliant player. Miss Judy is a showcase for the Wurlitzer.

fascinating post! Could this thread become the IORR "Ratbag Boogie" for keyboards?

Posted by: MagicYear73 ()
Date: September 28, 2010 12:19

There's a pic of Mick sitting behind a Wurlitzer, Nellcote era. He's also playing guitar and wears that white shirt with yellow numbers on it. Leaning against the wall a couple of guitars and some kid sitting next to it. Guess that's Marlon. But anyway, there definately was a Wurlitzer in Nellcote

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 28, 2010 17:01

Noone says nothing that I'm aware of. I've yet to meet this Noone person.

But Tim Hinkley talked about recording tracks for what would be Some Girls "during the fall of 1978" and Mick had a beard. No wonder he doesn't know if he made the album - he recorded for Emotional Rescue.

Date: December 3, 2010 09:11

I'm hearing 3 keyboards on "Fool to Cry," including the piano--who's on each, and what are they? I guess it's a piano, electric piano, and some kind of synth?

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: December 3, 2010 16:14

cc
I'm hearing 3 keyboards on "Fool to Cry," including the piano--who's on each, and what are they? I guess it's a piano, electric piano, and some kind of synth?

Nicky play the acoustic piano, is a right hand solo, the synth is according to Wikipedia a ARP String Ensemble, played also by Nicky.

"Just wanna see his face" sound more a Wurly than Rhodes, but amplified with tremolo (Fender Twin Reverb?)

Clavinet in: 100 years ago, Doo-doo-doo, If you cant rock me (with wha-wha), Ain't too proud to bed (low notes in the start of each line, also with wha), Fingerprint file, all by Billy Preston (this song with the ARP string)

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: December 3, 2010 16:49

dandelion1967
cc

Nicky play the acoustic piano, is a right hand solo, the synth is according to Wikipedia a ARP String Ensemble, played also by Nicky.

cool... on "FTC," don't you also hear a 3rd keyboard in the center (it's not there at the beginning of the song). Think that might be mick on electric piano.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home