Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor Little Queenie & Satisfaction Solo in Stones
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 12, 2009 13:07

Re: Mick Taylor Little Queenie & Satisfaction Solo in Stones
Date: June 12, 2009 13:08

great bluesy lead - putting is own stamp on statisfaction.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 12, 2009 13:32

Keith plays lead on Little Queenie..

Date: June 12, 2009 13:40

yes i know thanks - taylor plays chunky rhythm -

Date: June 12, 2009 13:43

Nice lead from Taylor! Sway-ish smiling smiley

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 12, 2009 15:30

The two distinctive and very different guitar sounds used by Richards and Taylor were the Stones at their finest - in my opinion. When the melding of guitars became one sonic mess (or sound if you prefer the weaving), the Stones took a bit of a step backwards. When Taylor and Richards were on, each guitar player was forced to rely on their own skills, rather than hoping the other would pick up the slack. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I prefer the DISTINCTIVE styles of Richards and Taylor as opposed to the melting pot of Richards and Wood.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 12, 2009 15:32

Long live the minority.

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: June 12, 2009 15:57

The minority is often right...as in this case in my opinion. I was so psyched when Wood joined the Stones. I thought he was a perfect fit based on his great guitar work with the Faces. Still a great band, but the special magic of the Taylor years was gone.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: June 12, 2009 18:40

I was there that night!!!!! 1st time i saw the Stones..

what a show!!!

MLC

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 12, 2009 19:24

<I was there that night!!!!! 1st time i saw the Stones..>

Ditto! Wasn't it decided that that is the 2nd show? What a kick to see that clip! The 4th live performance of Satisfaction with Taylor. I heard a recording of this show some 28+ years after the fact. Talk about being turned on to boots! That was a thrill! Taylor's playing was a little strange for me that night (e.g. the LIV solo) and hearing it later I can hear why I thought that at the time. But I was entralled with Keith's playing. The music just seemed to come out of his whole body. I was right about that. It was a strong performance by Keith that show. IMO it is classic Keith and perhaps one of his best.

Does Jagger seem connected to the music here? Rather than looking choreographed?

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 12, 2009 19:42

Always great to hear from people who were at these shows!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: June 12, 2009 20:59

PMK - I was watching Jagger and listening to Taylor... had been following
him since his days with John Mayall and was real interested in seeing what he
added to the Stones, I was impressed!! with Keith too.. loved their interplay..

I always thought this was Jagger's best stage performance (1969) completely
agree with your point on how he was connected to the music, his moves, dancing
and antics - everything just "fit" so well - him & the music..

Another thing I'll always remember was leaving around 08:00 that night for the show and the sun coming up when we pulled into my driveway when we got home..

Do you remember Jagger asking us: Do you LA people go to sleep??? at around
four in the morning...

MLC

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: June 12, 2009 21:19

Incredible vibrato.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 13, 2009 09:19

Thanks for posting the clip. Which show is it from?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 13, 2009 20:44

<Do you LA people go to sleep??? at around four in the morning...>

I do not remember hearing that, but my memory about specific things that night is very spotty. What I do remember is the impression the show left on me, how I felt about it at the time. After listening to the boot I understood why I felt that way. I cannot express how intense it was to hear that wonderful show again after so many years. It's the closest I ever felt to time travel.

I remember the excitement of the evening and a vague sense of danger that came with the band at the time. Was there going to be trouble? A riot? I remember some sort of disturbance early in the show at the front of the stage that I could not see. It was nothing as it turned out. But on the tape I could hear it again before the acoustic songs. I still do not know what it was about, but hearing it again I thought "I remember THAT!"

It's the Forum, in my way back hometown of Inglewood, 11/8/69, 2nd show. It is a fine guitar heavy audience recording. You can hear the taper and (I assume) his girlfriend on the tape. Where are they now? Did they know what a wonderful thing they were doing and that it would be heard and enjoyed so many years later? They chronicled a night that could have been lost forever. I am grateful to them and all booters.

Date: June 13, 2009 23:25

Shawn 20 - IAW you re Taylor and Keith's guitar sound. I much prefer that live sound; sonically huge. With Ronnie it became one midrangy argument; sounded like they were arguing. Granted - in 78 and 81 they did reach certain heights.
But I guess they sacrificed melody and also a lot of dynamics. I might prefer Taylor/ Keith combo in 69 even to the more diverse setup from 72.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-14 04:05 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 13, 2009 23:39

yes great thread for me. it's only the truth; the comments about ron's entrance and climb (finally) to the smashing stuff in '78 will always enrage certain ron fans...i saw ron live with Faces in theatre show early on and was totally totally blown away...but i did think back back in '72 that i had scene the most powerful rock and roll show ever in my life...i'm always sayin' taylor WAY underrated as the king of chunk rhythms; he was the most excellent and brilliant foil for Keith...who played as if he was literally on fire...yes jags seems to perfect in '69, still IN the band sorta...ya know? tremendously beautiful and supercharged and it didn't seem choreographed or like a track event...band standing close together...he had to know he was in a BAND with the best drummer, bass and trading lead and rhythm guitars that EVER magically got together with so much substance...sf and exoms (and ya'ya's and the liver than you'll ever be' boot) such masterful material..that danger someone talked about...the worldly and other-worldy deftness and abandon (and the country hot lick charm) of taylor's playing so very much a part of their toppermost legacy imo...
ron's good. let's hope he's re-commited to real solid work next time out...
love ron but taylor era stones seems unbeatable...

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: December 5, 2009 16:26

is this clip from oakland 69?

Posted by: CaptainGlassback ()
Date: December 5, 2009 16:46

Taylor is THE Man!! Gimme Shelter T2 Brussels Affair is my fav. I'm not so sure that you are in the minority Shaun20. You 'wood' have to be tone deaf to believe that R Wood did anything to advance the Stones work! I wish him well but it is time for the Stones to kick off the next tour with that old Chuck Berry fav 'Bye Bye Ronnie'!!

Posted by: Nicstone ()
Date: December 5, 2009 16:52

ChrisM
Thanks for posting the clip. Which show is it from?

I think it´s from MSG First show.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 5, 2009 22:10

MJ cuts short MT's solo in "Satisfaction", unfortunately. You can see that MJ gets impatient and then breaks into the solo. At an early date you can see one of the reasons of MT's later departure already.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 5, 2009 22:48

UP

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 6, 2009 01:49

The minority is right. Keith and Mick T, is the Stones at their live best though I like Ronnie and Keith's weaving style as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home