Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"The London years" vs "Rolled Gold Plus"
Posted by: linnerz ()
Date: June 3, 2009 16:44

Is the 1986 remastering of the 3 CD compilation "Singles Collection - The London Years" much different from the 2007 remastering of "Rolled Gold Plus"?

Re: "The London years" vs "Rolled Gold Plus"
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: June 3, 2009 16:51

The Singles Collection contains the A and B sides while Rolled Gold contains mainly only the A sides of the singles.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 3, 2009 17:06

I would think the 2002 remastering of The London Years is better regardless of what balloon blowing ABKCO did with Rolled Gold Plus.

How can those even be compared?

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 3, 2009 17:38

London Years is essential, Rolled Gold is not...'nuff said!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 3, 2009 17:40

London Years by a country mile

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: June 3, 2009 18:39

The singles collection was released in 1989 and Rolled Gold is a superb hi-fi adventure compared with the '89-release but there's no difference in sound quality between the re-release of the singles collection from 2002 and rolled gold.

rolled gold was originally released on vinyl nearly everywhere in the world except for the North American market (at least I think it wasn't out in Canada as well) in 1975 and on CD it's - from my point of view - an excellent re-release of the best 60s hit-collection ever. But that's me.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: June 3, 2009 18:51

Rolled Gold was the album with which it all began for me back in 1975...

Date: June 4, 2009 00:14

The copyright of my remastered "London Years" is 1986 ... not 1989. So what's the difference between 1986 and 2002 remaster? Is the 2002 version any better and worth buying, when I own the 1986 version?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 4, 2009 00:21

I bought my copy of the singles collection back in 89. Is the remastered version so much better - worth to buy?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 4, 2009 02:05

Sonically, its a vast improvement, at least for my ears. But check out a couple of tracks - preferably lossless - from the various torrent sites out there and decide for yourself if its worth to shell out money once more for product you already own.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 4, 2009 02:17

>Sonically, its a vast improvement, at least for my ears.

Mine too.

Didn't the remaster lose the extended outro to "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" that first surfaced on the original THE LONDON YEARS?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 4, 2009 07:15

Yes, that is exactly right Glam, and for that reason alone us Completists must maintain both versions of this set, the original and the remaster. I actually have the original boxset size on cassette with the giant lyric book, too.

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: June 4, 2009 10:48

VoodooLounge13
Yes, that is exactly right Glam, and for that reason alone us Completists must maintain both versions of this set, the original and the remaster. I actually have the original boxset size on cassette with the giant lyric book, too.

..........and, if memory serves me right, in 2002 they picked an early fade of 'Tell Me' rather than the proper single version which was on the 1989 box.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 4, 2009 12:20

The London Years all the way.

If you wanted one single document of their Decca-era, then this collection is the one.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 4, 2009 12:23

Orbit

..........and, if memory serves me right, in 2002 they picked an early fade of 'Tell Me' rather than the proper single version which was on the 1989 box.

Another error on the '89 release was of course the inclusion of the 'guitar' version of Time Is On My Side, when it should have been the - inferior - 'organ' rendition: thankfully rectified, of course.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 4, 2009 16:53

2002 London Years...By far the best....I have both the 89 & 2002 and Klein did a better job in 2002...The scad remaster is far better sounding..

Date: June 4, 2009 18:28

London Years almost makes anything else by ABKCO redundant. Well, comp wise. One must have Beggars and Bleed and Aftermath for certain. The rest of 'em...no big deal.

Date: June 4, 2009 18:47

Strange: the copyright of my (old version) remastered "London Years" is "1986" on the backside of the cd-cover ... but "1989" on the backside of the booklet inside ... can anybody explain?

Date: June 5, 2009 02:00

Asking again: the copyright of my (old version) remastered "London Years" is "1986" on the backside of the cd-cover ... but "1989" on the backside of the booklet inside ... can anybody explain?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 5, 2009 02:16

I think they were remastered for CD release in '86 but THE LONDON YEARS itself was released in '89.

Date: June 5, 2009 06:36

London Years came out right after Steel Wheels if I recall correctly.

Personally it's the best box set I've ever bought.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home