Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Frankfurt-19 years ago today
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 26, 2009 17:31

!9 years ago today I saw my first Stones concert in Frankfurt. What a wonderful night! Has anybody else here been there? This tour had something special, the fact that the Stones were back was considered as a sensation. Keith and Ronnie were in good shape, Bill was there, the playing was fresh. My favourite tour maybe 99, but today I remember Urban Jungle.

Re: Frankfurt-19 years ago today
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 26, 2009 18:04

yeah was my very first stones gig too!!! came there by bus from zürich together with my girlfriend and my best friend...
it was so sureal after all those years (82-90) of waiting and waiting. couldnt believe my eyes when i saw them live in front of me. remember the beautiful walk through the forest to reach the waldstadion. i was soooooooo excited!
still remember the heat of the explosions at the beginning. after start me up they played a really noisy "bitch" if i remeber it right!
dont even know if they played well cause i was soooo high anyway. even thinking about it still gives me the creeps.....a once in a lifetime experience. wonderful!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: May 26, 2009 18:14

I was there ( was living in Heidelberg), got drunk, but had fun!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 26, 2009 18:21

oh jeez...I simply CANNOT believe its been 20 years since the Steel Wheels tour...thats is SCARY...

JR

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: May 26, 2009 18:30

...indeed, they playes two fantastic gigs.
They were clear headed and really on fire, although the second concert was more schedulded in the afternoon than in the evening hours.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 26, 2009 21:42

I have been there, too!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 27, 2009 03:39

Was this the same show where the famous frankfurter landed on the stage?

I'm serious here. Keith also said someone threw a hamburger on the stage in Hamburg.
There's a Youtube video of the interview, but I don't have time to look for it right now.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: May 27, 2009 08:26

Not there,but in Gothenburg in august.

Posted by: igowild ()
Date: May 28, 2009 01:05

I was there with my girlfriend. Maybe you can find yourself on the pictures

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 28, 2009 01:16

Edith Grove

I'm serious here. Keith also said someone threw a hamburger on the stage in Hamburg.
There's a Youtube video of the interview, but I don't have time to look for it right now.

Here it is,just scroll a little bit...
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 28, 2009 04:06

shortfatfanny
Edith Grove

Here it is,just scroll a little bit...
[www.iorr.org]

Thanks, SFF !

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 28, 2009 04:12

thanks igowild...so good to see a picture of that show. i was just in front of the stage (first 3 rows). but we had to sneak in that zone because we had shity tickets on the far left side...somehow me managed to change them ...or did we just jump over the fence...cant really remember....what a day!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: May 28, 2009 08:20

I was there for both shows - the 26th and 27th of May 1990...sunny, beautiful early summer evenings at Waldstadion (it has now been torn down and in its place is the very impersonal and monolithic Commerzbank Arena - where the Stones gave one of their worst shows of last year's summer ABB tour).

I remember I almost got into fisticuffs both nights because I was there with friends from London and New York who had seen the Stones Steel Wheels tour with me the year before in the U.S. (Philly opening and then New York). The crowds had been ecstatic and very energized and we thought it would be the same in Europe...so the Stones come on and we go totally wild and keep on jumping up and down and dancing throughout the concert - meanwhile after a few songs the Deutsche patrons around us begin to shoot us disapproving looks and start yelling at us to stop dancing and jumping...they wanted to see the Stones in quiet (!!!) while sitting and we were disturbing their experience. Remember..this was a STONES CONCERT.

Amazing.

I remember a group of very adorable Japanese girls in front of us on the opening night (we were right up front both nights) dancing and jumping around and the people around them yelling them to sit down after a few songs...I almost blew my top on that one and had to be restrained from going after the mullet-wearing Krauts (this being the early 90's that unspeakable hair style was very much still in vogue in Germany). I have seen the Stones all over the world - and I spend a lot of time in Germany (and speak the language fluently) so I am not anti-German by any means - but I have never seen anybody get annoyed at people dancing and losing their inhibitions whilst at a Stones concert ANYWHERE...except in Germany. More than once.

Regardless...the Frankfurt concerts were indeed a gas and most of the crowd were very appreciative (if a lot mellower than the crazy hordes in New York and Philly the previous year). I remember the huge inflatable junkyard dogs during Street Fighting Man...simultaneously silly and terrifying...and Factory Girl...wonderful...and Dead Flowers...and very moving versions of Almost Hear You Sigh. Wonderful shows...here are the set lists for those who were there:

26th May, 1990: Frankfurt, Germany, Waldstadion
Start Me Up/Bitch/Sad Sad Sad/Tumbling Dice/Miss You/Almost Hear You Sigh/Ruby Tuesday/Factory Girl/Rock And A Hard Place/Mixed Emotions/Honky Tonk Women/Midnight Rambler/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Can’t Be Seen/Happy/Paint It Black/2000 Light Years From Home/Sympathy For The Devil/Street Fighting Man/Gimme Shelter/Band introduction/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Brown Sugar/Satisfaction/Jumping Jack Flash

27th May, 1990: Frankfurt, Germany, Waldstadion
Start Me Up/Bitch/Sad Sad Sad/Harlem Shuffle/Tumbling Dice/Miss You/Almost Hear You Sigh/Ruby Tuesday/Dead Flowers/Rock And A Hard Place/Mixed Emotions/Honky Tonk Women/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Little Red Rooster/Before They Make Me Run/Happy/Paint It Black/2000 Light Years From Home/Sympathy For The Devil/Street Fighting Man/Gimme Shelter/Band introduction/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Brown Sugar/Satisfaction/Jumping Jack Flash)

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 28, 2009 16:05

It depends on how people are actually behaving. Jumping, dancing and shouting is ok as long as it does not detract from the actual show on the stage. I had Stones shows where people were jumping on my back, or jumping in front of me, obviously totally drunk or on what else, falling back, and while falling back, falling on me, pushing and touching me with their hands and arms all the time, shouting and screaming constantly with a volume that it simply @#$%& up enjoying the music...no thank you.

Some may think thats RocknRoll, but if it gets too intrusive, I think it comes to the point if you are able to respect other people around you or just think you are alone on this world and therefore behave like you do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-28 16:07 by alimente.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 28, 2009 17:34

"When in Rome, do like the Romans"

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 28, 2009 21:53

Dear Igowild, thankyou for the pictures.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: May 29, 2009 00:37

Frankfurt, 27th May 1990, was my first concert. I remember very well :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home