Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT The Meters
Posted by: turd ()
Date: May 26, 2009 01:18

Wondering if anyone can recommend some good Meters albums.
I remember reading something about The Meters and The Stones doing something together in the 70's ??
Maybe the Meters supported The Stones at some point - I know Mick liked them....

Re: OT The Meters
Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: May 26, 2009 01:28

Fire on The Bayou, Look-Ka Py Py and my personal favourite, Rejuvenation. The live album Uptown Rulers is recommendable as well. There's a cover of Honky Tonk Women on Trick Bag, which otherwise is a pretty forgetable album imo. There's a couple of 75-76 shows available in sbd quality which really shows what they were capable of in those years...

The Meters warmed up for the Stones on TOTA. Zigaboo was part of the New Barbarians

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-26 01:30 by Sohoe.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: May 26, 2009 01:38

Thanks Sohoe - that's helpfull, cheers.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 26, 2009 01:45

Twenty-four titles featuring The Meters here: [www.louisianamusicfactory.com]

Date: May 26, 2009 02:34

here are also two most excellent historic compilation sets: one by Rhino, and one other called "Funkify Your Life". Both follow their story chronologically. They also regrouped a few times; seems like the whole NO scene is very family oriented, but at one point Art Neville and Leo Nocentelli had a big falling out.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 26, 2009 02:35

The cover of Trick Bag is pretty nice...the album grows on you.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 26, 2009 03:10

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 26, 2009 06:14

All their albums offer something funky but Sohoe is pretty much spot on...

For a few Meter rarities check out the 4CD set What It Is!

Contains the rare single only release Chug Chug Chug [Push & Shove]
cut & releleased somewhere between Cabbage Alley and Rejuvenation .......

What It Is! .... also carries 2 tracks with The Meters working incognito .......

Pop, Popcorn Children - Eldridge Holmes cut when Holmes
dropped by the Lefevre Atlanta studio during the 1969 Look-Ka At Py Py
sessions....And Tampin - The Rhine Oaks one groovin' funky
instumental cut in late 1969 with producer Allen Toussaint joining The Meters on piano

ROCKMAN

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 26, 2009 08:43

Rockman, I love the Funky Soul and Rare Grooves box set. Not only does it have a shit load of great deep cuts, the packaging is simply amazing. Very cool box, with some great notes.

Cabbage Alley is fantastic Meters! FULL on in your face soul/funk. Great disc!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 26, 2009 09:24

....Yeah whitem8 .... total agree it's a goood good thang

ROCKMAN

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: May 26, 2009 11:17

I met Art Neville last year in Luzern after the Neville Bros. gig. Papa Funk is a true gentleman, and still laying the groove down at the age of 70.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 26, 2009 14:00

Early Meters were instrumental only. Very funky. Later Meters -- like on Fire On the Bayou and Rejuvenation -- were with some vocals (mostly by new member Cyril Neville) and slightly more rock-oriented.

My favourite Meters tune has got to be Handclapping Song.

Posted by: Gimme Shelter ()
Date: May 26, 2009 14:36

handclapping song is so cool.

check this out :

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 26, 2009 17:37

Thanks for the video Gimme Shelter! Nice jam -- cool to hear 'em do that song.
The only complaint I have is that Leo Nocentelli overplays a bit -- not just in this vid (here it actually works pretty well in the guitar duel with John Fruciante), but he seems to do that in all recent live videos I've seen. It's too much shred rock, which to me isn't the Meters' style. What I like in their music so much is their funky minimalist arrangements. Come to think of it, the latter is something they have very much in common with the Red Hot Chili Peppers' work with John, mostly on Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: May 26, 2009 18:46

That is a GREAT box set. there are also some great budget Meters Neville brother compilations around.

Rockman
All their albums offer something funky but Sohoe is pretty much spot on...

For a few Meter rarities check out the 4CD set What It Is!

Contains the rare single only release Chug Chug Chug [Push & Shove]
cut & releleased somewhere between Cabbage Alley and Rejuvenation .......

What It Is! .... also carries 2 tracks with The Meters working incognito .......

Pop, Popcorn Children - Eldridge Holmes cut when Holmes
dropped by the Lefevre Atlanta studio during the 1969 Look-Ka At Py Py
sessions....And Tampin - The Rhine Oaks one groovin' funky
instumental cut in late 1969 with producer Allen Toussaint joining The Meters on piano

Date: May 26, 2009 20:17

You want the first 3 Meters albums on Josie - The eponymous debut, Struttin' & Look-Ka Py Py. For me, those first 3 records are their best work; and, as much as later albums are fun and funky, they never get as good as the first 3. For further Meters-related listening, I would pick up the first 2 Lee Dorsey albums New Lee Dorsey & Ride Your Pony (which feature the Meters as his band), and their "reunion" album (Toussaint at the helm, Meters as the band, Dorsey singing) Yes We Can. Also, there are a bunch of Allan Toussaint sides that feature the Meters as well. Great band, enjoy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-26 20:18 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 26, 2009 21:29

My fave is Look-Ka Py Py.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: May 31, 2009 10:21

The Meters opened for the Stones in San Francisco @ the Cow Palace in 1975..I believe KSAN recorded & broadcast their set a week or so later...Keith has been quoted in the past declaring 'The Meters' as the best band on the planet..and he is correct... but back in 1975, the crowd was too crazy to stand still & actually appreciate what the 'Meters' were doing on stage...for fans not caught up in the circus atmosphere that was to transpire, the 'Meters' blew them away....peter

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 5, 2009 01:27

In the US circa 2000 Sundazed issued the entire Meters' catalog - the seminal Josie recordings (1968 - 71), and the Reprise/Warners materisl (1972 - 77) on superbly mastered CDs...That's 8 studio albums plus one collection of Josie rarites ("Zony Mash"), that in some of the non album singles issued 1970-71 bridge the two eras nicely; Warners rarieties are collected on "Kickback", which is better than the last two official studio titles. For a fuller picture hear the band backing up Toussaint-produced artists during the 1967 - 74 period, such as Cyril Neville, Betty Harris, Eldridge Holmes (the aforementioned 'Pop Corn Children'), Ernie K Doe, Lee Dorsey (the essential "New Lee Dorsey" w/12 bonus cuts, & the Japanese import edition of the 1970 "Yes We Can" classic, for the 10 or so bonus tracks - the latter still OP & deserving a 'deluxe edition' in Lee's home land); Dr John's early '70s classics like 'Right Place" & "Desitively Bonaroo"; Wild Tchopitoulas' Island lp from '76. The ROCKMAN-pick "What It Is" has many great obscurities associated with the Meters & is a a funk/jazz/r&b essential reissue, filled with surprises and unknown pleasures. My Top Meters:
Look-Ka Py Py ('69) - imo their best Josie set.
Rejuvenation ('74)
Zony Mash ('68 - 71)
Cabbage Alley('72)

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 5, 2009 22:06

BTW The Stones (like Faces) were always big Meters fans as can be heard on 'Hot Stuff' most explicitly. And Meters dug the Stones too, covering Honky Tonk in '76...When the Meters broke up, Drummer extraordinaire Ziggy Modeliste joined Ron Wood/Keith Richards' 1979 New Barbarians tour, and the Barbs' one official studio track, "Truly" can be heard on Ian McLagan's 1980 solo "Troblemaker" (six minute version); a 12 minute version was issued on Mac's 2005 cd with that album and other bonus goodies, "Here Comes Trouble"...
And Meter in law Ivan Neville of course played on Keiths albums/tours (& occasionally keys on recent Stones discs), and Keith & Ron played all over Ivan's excellent 1995 set "Thanks".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1544
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home