Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Taylor´s guitars on 1969 tour
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 24, 2009 17:46

Eleanor Rigby
...so at the end of the day, the sound from Ya Ya's is probably due to the AMPEGS rather that the guitars??

I would dare say that in all cases the amp is what characterizes more the sound. Take the Stones now, there are differences when the guitar change, but mainly it is a Fender sound.

C

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 24, 2009 18:18

Eleanor Rigby
...so at the end of the day, the sound from Ya Ya's is probably due to the AMPEGS rather that the guitars??
I would say both contribute to the overall sound but when all is said and done, it really comes down to the player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-24 18:20 by ChrisM.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 24, 2009 18:51

Keefan
Tricky76
The V and Keith/Brian's Gibson ES330 made it on tour but didnt get as far as the stage - they can be seen in miscellaneous rehearsal pics taken from the tour. And don't forget the Dobro Acoustic used for the Mick/Keith acoustic slot on the tour.

I wish someone would force a damn Gibson into Keith's hands for Open G songs again.....

I've noticed Keith playing 335s a lot more from the '97 tour on...don't know if they were for the open G songs or not, though? keith is playing gibson 355 a red one and a black one not 335,he does have a white gibson 345 which he got from buzzy at lark street music in teaneck nj.

BTW, this has been a great informative thread.

Posted by: Nicstone ()
Date: April 24, 2009 19:04

Which parts of Ya Ya´s disc were edited ?
I mean, listening to the unedited original recordings should give us a clue.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 24, 2009 19:14

i am not sure but i think that in a previous post on here it was said that the guitars(keith,mick taylor)were not overdubed just the vocals because mr i am so vain did not like some of his vocals.

Date: April 24, 2009 20:40

liddas
ChrisM

what really made the guitar improve in tone was swapping out the stock pots and caps for vintage style bumblebees and CTS pots. Wow! The guitar really woke up and had a more mid range honk to it than before.

OT: This is something I wanted to do on my LP for a long time. Q#1 where did you buy your replacements? Q#2 did you also replace the PU selector?

Thank you!

C
Hello Liddas. I had used original .22uf/400V bumblebees in my guitar for a while and they were an improvement of the ceramic disk capacitors that Gibson was inexplicably using at that time in their Historics. There are alot of after market vendors for guitar electronics and I ended up swapping the bumblebees and stock pots out for a set from RS Guitar Works and that really helped make the guitar sound much closer to a vintage Les Paul. Before changing out pickups, the first thing I would try is this. Give it a go and let us know how it works!

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: April 24, 2009 23:53

The Greek
i am not sure but i think that in a previous post on here it was said that the guitars(keith,mick taylor)were not overdubed just the vocals because mr i am so vain did not like some of his vocals.

Confirmed based on the audience recordings of the shows doing the rounds. To be honest, probably a wise choice given how out of tune Jagger was on alot of the tracks.

Check out the Gimme Shelter DVD, if you haven't already, for some footage of the vocal overdub session for GYYYO - including Keith losing his rag with the film crew for getting in the way.

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: April 24, 2009 23:57

ChrisM
I would say both contribute to the overall sound but when all is said and done, it really comes down to the player.
Agreed. However, these Ampegs tend to make all humbucking guitars sound similar, and all single coil guitars soud similar in my opinion, something Marshalls of the period are also guilty of.

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: April 25, 2009 09:37

Keith had a history of not using the same guitar on certain songs on this tour. There are times Keith used his gibson es355 or a dan armstrong on Midnight Rambler. I seen footage at two shows where Keith uses a dan armstrong on little queenie. The gimme shelter footage shows a gibson es355. ALso I know Mick Taylor uses the gibson les paul on love in vain. I always thought he used a gibson les paul on midnight rambler as well just because he did at hyde park. Also Mick Taylor used different gibson es models and a fender telecaster during the tour and is seen playing one on ed sullivan show.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-25 09:40 by RollingStonesRob.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 25, 2009 12:56

ChrisM
liddas
ChrisM

what really made the guitar improve in tone was swapping out the stock pots and caps for vintage style bumblebees and CTS pots. Wow! The guitar really woke up and had a more mid range honk to it than before.

OT: This is something I wanted to do on my LP for a long time. Q#1 where did you buy your replacements? Q#2 did you also replace the PU selector?

Thank you!

C
Hello Liddas. I had used original .22uf/400V bumblebees in my guitar for a while and they were an improvement of the ceramic disk capacitors that Gibson was inexplicably using at that time in their Historics. There are alot of after market vendors for guitar electronics and I ended up swapping the bumblebees and stock pots out for a set from RS Guitar Works and that really helped make the guitar sound much closer to a vintage Les Paul. Before changing out pickups, the first thing I would try is this. Give it a go and let us know how it works!

The RS kit is really good, but I have to add that the original 50's wiring also helps a lot in getting a more vintage sound.

Mathijs

Date: April 25, 2009 23:16

Mathijs

The RS kit is really good, but I have to add that the original 50's wiring also helps a lot in getting a more vintage sound.

Mathijs
Exactly. Using 50s style wiring really helps. Before swapping the electronics, I rewired my R8, which for a very strange reason came with modern wiring, with 50'stlyle wiring and that certainly helped. Did your '05 R9 come with modern wiring as well Mathijs?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 26, 2009 15:12

ChrisM
Mathijs

Mathijs
Exactly. Using 50s style wiring really helps. Before swapping the electronics, I rewired my R8, which for a very strange reason came with modern wiring, with 50'stlyle wiring and that certainly helped. Did your '05 R9 come with modern wiring as well Mathijs?

Yes it did, which I always thought off as very strange. Even stranger is that to date all Gibson's are still wired with the modern wiring instead of the 50's wiring, even though so many people stress that 50's wiring sounds much better and sounds much more vintage.

But right now I am changing the wiring on my 04R9 again. I will change out the neck volume and tone pot for push-pull pots, so I can split the neck pickup and switch the phase in the middle position. Still I want to maintain the 50's wiring though!

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2189
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home