Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Can You Hear The Music
Date: February 12, 2018 20:08

-----

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 20:44 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 12, 2018 20:44

exhpart
Wow this is truly a zombie thread, 3 years dead and now it's alive again.

The first posts are almost 9 years old. Rene's Track Talks will never die!

- Doxa

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 12, 2018 20:59

retired_dog
Simply wonderful. One of these "Stones leaving their trodden paths"-tracks...

It is! Such a great song, the music has such a great groove & vibe, but I mostly love Mick's singing on this one!

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: February 13, 2018 04:12

Monsoon Ragoon
Could have been a average b-side. Sub-standard experimental tune. There are much better songs which didn’t make the album (Fast Talking, Criss Cross Mind).

I agree. I would have rather had Criss Cross Mind or they could have finished Waiting On A Friend or Tops.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 13, 2018 05:30

boogaloojef
... or they could have finished Waiting On A Friend or Tops.

BUT THEN Tattoo You would be short!!

Rod

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: February 13, 2018 05:48

"Sometimes I'm dancing on air and I get scared, I get scared." always thought that was an interesting lyric. Particularly for that time. Wonder if it was Mick"s or Keith's.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: February 13, 2018 06:30

While this song fails to mystify me, I give it the occasional listen for nostalgia’s sake. The only slight problem I have with ‘Can You Hear The Music’ (the same one I have with Angie, Winter and Till the Next Goodbye) is the pansy voice.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 13, 2018 06:35

..... Pansy voice !!! .... I reckon Mick's vocal suit those songs ...

......... I mean like can ya imagine Tom Waits on those tunes ....can ya ?????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 13, 2018 06:50

Great song, great album.
If you listen to this tune very carefully on vinyl with really good headphones, you can hear the crackling of a giant spliff burning.

Or maybe that's just the scratches on my vinyl copy. winking smiley

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: February 13, 2018 07:09

Rockman
..... Pansy voice !!! .... I reckon Mick's vocal suit those songs ...

I don’t necessarily disagree with that – and, hey, who am I to tell Mick Jagger how to sing? - but I have a feeling if he sang those ballads the way he sang ‘Wild Horses’ and ‘I Got The Blues’ (i.e. less affected/no make-up), they’d be more highly regarded. As it is, those songs (with the obvious exception of Angie) remain fairly obscure...and more than a few people loathe Angie.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 13, 2018 07:45

Awww well glad we aint all the same or the world'd be a bore ....
...They are delicate songs and Mick's vocals suit 'em fine ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: February 13, 2018 07:48

Rockman
Awww well glad we aint all the same or the world'd be a bore ....
...They are delicate songs and Mick's vocals suit 'em fine ...
thumbs up

Mick has a range that goes from waaaaay over there... to waaaaaaay over there, while always sounding like Mick, but not sounding the same.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2018 10:17

bitusa2012
boogaloojef

Criss Cross Mind should've been on TATTOO YOU.

Date: February 13, 2018 10:19

Swayed1967
While this song fails to mystify me, I give it the occasional listen for nostalgia’s sake. The only slight problem I have with ‘Can You Hear The Music’ (the same one I have with Angie, Winter and Till the Next Goodbye) is the pansy voice.

Pansy voice? On Can You Hear The Music? Sounds like he's drinking out of a bottle and singing.

Pansy voice.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 13, 2018 15:45

I've had the opening riff in my head for two days now.....and the now the complete song ........NICE >grinning smiley<

Date: February 13, 2018 19:09

It's really one of their funkiest studio productions. A lot of interesting things going on in this tune.

Date: February 13, 2018 19:50

bitusa2012
boogaloojef

Chris Kimsey says he made a list of approximately 25 songs to consider for Tattoo You after going through the vaults. I am sure they could have picked another from the list. I imagine some of them appeared on the bonus disc of the Some Girls Deluxe Edition.

I wonder if anyone know which songs were on Kimsey's list.

Date: February 13, 2018 19:53

GasLightStreet
bitusa2012
boogaloojef

Criss Cross Mind should've been on TATTOO YOU.

I think they should have used it on It's Only Rock 'N'Roll if not Goats Head Soup. I like it better than Luxury and If You Really Want To Be My Friend. Short And Curlies was used on It's Only Rock 'N' Roll and it was started at the Goats Head Soup sessions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 19:55 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: HearTheWindHowl ()
Date: February 13, 2018 20:24

CYHTM may not be fully written out or mixed perfectly ... but even with that in mind, I LOVE THIS SONG VERY MUCH! In fact, it is one of the rarer tunes that the Stones have recorded and it belongs to my 30 or 40 favourite tracks of this band.

Date: September 16, 2019 14:17

I hate to conform to some clichee, but I do wonder if drugs were slowly getting the upper hand in 73.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 16, 2019 14:36

Palace Revolution 2000
I hate to conform to some clichee, but I do wonder if drugs were slowly getting the upper hand in 73.

What? More so than on Gomper or Sing This All Together (See What Happens)? They would return to psychedelic grooves every 5-10 years or so and this is one of those occasions where they tried to invoke the spirit of Brian and some very obvious middle eastern instrumentation.

Other examples of overtly psychedelic Stones' music after that are Heaven (1983), Continental Shift (1989) and Thru And Thru (1994). There's an extremely spooked out alt version of the latter that is worth seeking out.

Date: September 16, 2019 17:17

It's not really about this song. But we pretty much all agree that with GHS there was some kind of drop. It's the type of drop, and it's impact that we often seem to argue about.
Jimmy Miller was a '73 casualty. Maybe the '72 in-charge Stones would have opened GHS with "Criss Cross". And it is a real smug and pat statement to make "Oh they must have been taking hard rugs by then" etc. But when I think it through, it is probably pretty accurate.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 16, 2019 18:39

Palace Revolution 2000
It's not really about this song. But we pretty much all agree that with GHS there was some kind of drop. It's the type of drop, and it's impact that we often seem to argue about.
Jimmy Miller was a '73 casualty. Maybe the '72 in-charge Stones would have opened GHS with "Criss Cross". And it is a real smug and pat statement to make "Oh they must have been taking hard rugs by then" etc. But when I think it through, it is probably pretty accurate.

It's not that they were taking hard drugs then because 'they' had been doing so since the late 60s but the fact that the hard drugs were started to take over their lifestyles. They were no longer recreational but a necessity, at least for Keith and Mick T.

But the biggest change to their music and song-writing abilities was that they no longer lived in close proximity to each other. Jagger was globe-trotting with Bianca while Keith was junked out in London most of the time. I think song-writing as a Jagger-Richard partnership became a chore.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 28, 2020 23:00

Mick Taylor plays bass on this, I just read it in an interview. I knew it didn’t sound like Wyman.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 28, 2020 23:34

Taylor said he played bass on Dancing With Mr D, Coming Down Again and CYHTM. Keith plays bass on Silver Train, Heartbreaker , and maybe other songs.

Date: March 28, 2020 23:40

Taylor1
Taylor said he played bass on Dancing With Mr D, Coming Down Again and CYHTM. Keith plays bass on Silver Train, Heartbreaker , and maybe other songs.

Didn’t Richards play bass on Hide Your Love too?

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 29, 2020 00:16

boogaloojef
bitusa2012
boogaloojef

Chris Kimsey says he made a list of approximately 25 songs to consider for Tattoo You after going through the vaults. I am sure they could have picked another from the list. I imagine some of them appeared on the bonus disc of the Some Girls Deluxe Edition.

I have a pic I took from Exhibitionism of a Log book of songs compiled for Paris October 1980 (The first sessions for TATTOO YOU). Unfortunately I'm not able to post the picture but these are the exact songs listed:

Mobile Master Reel #1

Biscuit Blues
Black Limousine (ex 76)
Everlasting Love (Funky Version)
Everlasting Love (Electric Version)
Black Limousine
Just Because I Told You
Hang Fire

Mobile Master Reel #2

Fiji Jim
Do You Think I Really Care
Start It Up
I Can't Help It
You Win Again
Do You Get Enough

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 29, 2020 01:30

TravelinMan
Taylor1

Didn’t Richards play bass on Hide Your Love too?
I’m not sure.I’ve heard he plays also on 100 years ago.Bill was really missing in action on GHS.Dandelion Powderman probably knows

Date: March 29, 2020 10:33

JordyLicks96
boogaloojef
bitusa2012
boogaloojef

I have a pic I took from Exhibitionism of a Log book of songs compiled for Paris October 1980 (The first sessions for TATTOO YOU). Unfortunately I'm not able to post the picture but these are the exact songs listed:

Mobile Master Reel #1

Biscuit Blues
Black Limousine (ex 76)
Everlasting Love (Funky Version)
Everlasting Love (Electric Version)
Black Limousine
Just Because I Told You
Hang Fire

Mobile Master Reel #2

Fiji Jim
Do You Think I Really Care
Start It Up
I Can't Help It
You Win Again
Do You Get Enough

That's fantastic. It's been only a guessing game as to what else Kimsey presented.

Date: March 29, 2020 16:46

There was probably more though, right? Those look like they were after Jamaica and we know two songs that dated from then as well.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home