Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: SAW JEFF BECK LAST NIGHT
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 12, 2009 22:34

Hello all,
I took my son to his first concert last night. We saw Mr. Beck and I must say he was phenominal. He played a great mix of old and new stuff (no Yardbirds though).

His guitar playing is stronger than ever. Still doing things on a Strat that a mere mortal can not concieve. His bass player Tal and his drummer were great as well. Jeff and Tal played a spot where she played a bass solo on the neck of her guitar while simultaniously,, Jeff played a funky rhythm part up by the tuning pegs on the same guitar. Outstanding!

If theere were any disappointments it would be: No talk box used and the show was only 2 hours and 15 minutes instead of 4 hours. Also the t-shirts were a whopping $30.00 US.

Other than these 3 mimor details, by far the best show I've seen in a while and than the best show I've seen by a Britsh Invasioner since the 80s other than the Stones.

He played among other songs:
Bolero (opener)
starcycle
Blue Wind
Nadia
a medley of Good Bye Port Pie Hat/Brush With the Blues
Big Block

An absolute must see. I believe he is playing at the House of Blues in Boston later this month!

Re: OT: SAW JEFF BECK LAST NIGHT
Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 12, 2009 22:59

Cafaro, the concert sounds magnificent.
I was just listening to Day in the Life on the ipod.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Beck live twice.
How old is your son, btw? What an excellent first concert
experience.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 13, 2009 01:15

T-Shirts are normally $30.00 at rock shows. How often though do you have a chance to buy a Jeff Beck tour shirt?

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: April 13, 2009 01:33

I went to the show Friday night at Irving Plaza---I thought he killed!

Like Cafaro posted, his band is very tight and Tal Wilkenfeld on bass (she's 22!)
and Vinnie Coluiata on drums were tremendous. I loved the set list, its like he takes 2-3 songs from each of his solo records and that gives a great overview of his career. His version of Day In The Life alone is worth the price of admission.

This is not some performer mailing it in or coasting on past glories. It is one of greatest guitar players in the world at the absolute top of his game. If you get the chance go see this tour. The fact that he is only playing small venues (Irving is 800 capacity) makes it all the more special.

I have heard of aging "gracefully" but what Beck is doing is just ridiculous.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 13, 2009 04:02

The cat can still play and then some. I was listening to Live at Luann's from this Jeff Beck Group days and he was mind blowing then and has only gotten better since. How many of you saw his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction and his playing afterwards? It was really cool to see him play with his old Yardbirds mate Jimmy Page and the Train Kept a Rolling All Star Jam was too cool! I can't say enough about his raw talent. Wow!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 13, 2009 04:38

Thanks for the review. Would have loved to have been there. I agree - $30 bucks is a bargain for a Beck shirt.

Date: April 13, 2009 15:50

I normally dont buy concert t shirts at the show. You can get them on line cheaper but my son wanted one. He is 15. I bought the Live At Ronnie Scott's DVD but I havent watched it yet.

Day in the Life was incredible. I am just blown away how good he was. The sound was stellar. He has 2-3 Marshalls set up and it was perfect.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 13, 2009 15:53

Pissed off that he's not coming to Detroit. Actually, a lot of tours are bypassing Motown these days. Beck, The Dead, Clapton/Winwood, U2. Not surprising considering unemployment in Michigan is at 12 percent.

Date: April 14, 2009 17:52

Cafaro
I normally dont buy concert t shirts at the show. You can get them on line cheaper but my son wanted one. He is 15. I bought the Live At Ronnie Scott's DVD but I havent watched it yet.

Day in the Life was incredible. I am just blown away how good he was. The sound was stellar. He has 2-3 Marshalls set up and it was perfect.

Cafaro---you are in for a treat! The Live at Ronnie Scotts DVD is tremendous and
the set very closely mirrors what you saw last week.

I too, am still shaking my head at how good that show was. I do not very often leave a show as blown away as I did last Friday. I last saw him in '99 and I think, if anything...he's gotten BETTER!

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: April 14, 2009 18:41

Saw him in 1999 myself and was blown away also,I am looking at a good bootleg from the Royal Festival Hall 2002,the show where he pulls out the Jeff Beck Group and YardBirds stuff on top of his solo guitar stuff,that is the footage that the world needs to see.

Coming Down Again

Date: April 14, 2009 20:57

curtisdavis
Saw him in 1999 myself and was blown away also,I am looking at a good bootleg from the Royal Festival Hall 2002,the show where he pulls out the Jeff Beck Group and YardBirds stuff on top of his solo guitar stuff,that is the footage that the world needs to see.

Very, very cool. That IS something that needs to get out there. The '99 Tour was different in that he had Jennifer Batten who is an incredible guitar player in her own right and that tour as I recalled featured more of his "Techno" phase which he appears to have, for the most part, discarded; at least for now.

But that '02 show sounds hot.

Date: April 14, 2009 21:10

Thanks Glass Slide. I'm excited to watch it. I dont have any time right now.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 14, 2009 23:23

fantastic news and great review ty. saw him with bogart and appice at Captiol Theatre in Passaic, NJ waaay back in the day...never got over it...never will...just stupendous...and yes i agree...he's lost NOTHING...brilliant brilliant cat...NO ONE sounds anything like he does...imo he invented heavy metal with 'truth' and 'beckola'...paved way for zep and all that came afterward...the cats a giant at the height of his powers...what a blessing...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home