Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: As Easter Approaches--- How Religious Do U Think The Stones Are?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 14, 2011 07:09

skipstone

That's what happens when people ask such kind of questions. Like some famous actor said in a movie a few years ago, you can't handle the truth. What's so "sensible" about posting about religion to begin with? Nothing. YOU be a good boy and keep it private if you don't like what you read that other people think, especially when it's not in line with what you beLIEve.

Hey Skip, your being somewhat hypocritical yourself by complaining about Christians and posting YOUR views. It goes both ways.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: February 14, 2011 07:15

Rocky Dijon
I thought that deserved to be addressed in a serious fashion since it was erroneous as she was not then or is it not now a devout Catholic in terms of following everything her faith dictates.

It may be erroneous, but it can't be an argument either in favor of or against someone if you really are neutral towards christianity, so I would never have brought that up. If people blame religious believes for anything, I feel that's often an easy escape from a contential debate.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 14, 2011 07:20

from a Mick interview

MUSICIAN MAGAZINE: "Do you consider yourself to be spiritual or religious?"

JAGGER: "Spiritual, but not a deep born again Christian or a Buddhist who rings bells or anything. I do have moral and spiritual standards that I don't want to transgress, though I might have pushed them a little when I was younger [smiles] and didn't realize what they were. I wouldn't do it now."

(From an edition of old collected interviews that did now say the year of this interview.)

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 14, 2011 07:20

Never said I was neutral about Christianity personally, just addressed what I thought was a mistaken impression of Bianca. You're welcome to take it offline if you want to talk about what you think or what I think about the topic. I have no objection to doing so and will be honest with you. For IORR, I prefer to make this about the music. Anything personal has a way of getting banned because people can't stop from offending others. Just the way politics and religion seem to go.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: February 14, 2011 07:28

Rocky Dijon
Never said I was neutral about Christianity personally, just addressed what I thought was a mistaken impression of Bianca.

Again, it seemed to suggest that christian beliefs could in general be cause of problems, but you thought they may not have been in this case because she was not that devout a christian. The suggestion seems dubious to me, but you may not have had that intention; I don't know.

Rocky Dijon
You're welcome to take it offline if you want to talk about what you think or what I think about the topic.

No, I think the thread is adequate.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 14, 2011 07:47

Let's approach it another way. A song like "Sweet Neo Con" seems to suggest that neo-conservatives could in general be the cause of problems. I might be a neo-con (I'm not, but that doesn't matter one bit to the discussion of the song) but I could still see that it is Mick's view from the song or the view of the character he is writing as if one found reason to suggest it wasn't his personal view.

On the other hand, a song like "Respectable" despite lyrics about the President, the White House, and hypocrisy doesn't present a clear political opinion. If in a discussion, one concluded the song was about the Ford Administration or the Carter Administration or a connection with Bianca and reached a conclusion about politics from the lyrics without any solid foundation in reality, I would argue as I did above about religion.

From my perspective, ambiguous lyrics for or against religion and Bianca's religious background did not suggest a direct correlation for interpreting the songs one way or the other. It was like "Respectable," not "Sweet Neo-Con." That was where I was coming from and why I thought it was worth clarifying the position.

I did not inject any personal opinion of religion in my comments deliberately other then stating my view of Mick and Bianca and the level life influenced art in the examples cited.

If I declared that I was Born Again or an Atheist or anything in between, people would believe that personal bias colored my opinion so I left my views out of the equation. I didn't see it as a thread about personal belief, I saw it as a thread about Stones lyrics.

It was an interesting discussion and the last thing I want to do is dictate what others think or belittle them if they do not share my views. There are plenty of boards to do that, this one is about a band and their music.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:27

The Sicilian
SwayStones
StonesBlake
Charlie is Jewish, so I don't see Easter being all that big for him.

First time I hear that Charlie is jewish ;Is it written in a book or somewhere ?
So he can do Pessah .

.High Times: Are you Catholic?

Jagger: No. We’re very staunchly anti-Catholic. We’re very much so. But I couldn’t believe -- I used to go into people’s houses in South America and Brazil, they’d have these statues of this wooden saint. They collect them, you know. The women particularly. And a whole table. You go into a room dominated by this huge table with big -- they’re quite big, a foot tall -- and they name them and tell about them. It’s absolute bullshit, I mean, all these saints. It is. Everyone knows it

High Times: I think so too.

Jagger: Most of these saints -- that particular religion turns me right off.

I didn't know that Jagger was so anti-Catholic. But if he really said that I would have to say that his beliefs are bullshit. To enter a guests home and then publicly call their beliefs on which all of Christianity is based, "bullshit" is very insulting and blasphemous to Catholics.

If he put down Jews and their religion he would be called anti-semetic and made a pariah in the world. I wasn't aware that religion was there to "turn people on."

However, I would like to see the article first. But since you posted it I assume it is true.

The Sicilian , I had forgotten to put the link of the article,here it is :

[hightimes.com]

HIGH TIMES Liz Derringer, 1979

I've read again the whole interview,is it a real one ?confused smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:29

The interview with Liz Derringer is real. But possibly Mick's spiritual views have changed or evolved in the last 32 years.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 14, 2011 15:22

The Sicilian
skipstone

That's what happens when people ask such kind of questions. Like some famous actor said in a movie a few years ago, you can't handle the truth. What's so "sensible" about posting about religion to begin with? Nothing. YOU be a good boy and keep it private if you don't like what you read that other people think, especially when it's not in line with what you beLIEve.

Hey Skip, your being somewhat hypocritical yourself by complaining about Christians and posting YOUR views. It goes both ways.

No. It's that kind of whining from religious types that wonder why they are scorned or whatever for having expressed something that is bottomless. I have issues with the whole thing, ha ha.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home