Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones fans musical tastes
Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: April 7, 2009 03:42

I've always wondered about this.

Back in the '80's, a new girlfriend asked me what kind of music I was into. We talked and talked, and when I mentioned some newer bands I dug at the time- The Church, Psychedelic Furs, U2, Simple Minds, etc.- she said "Oh, well than you probably like some of the stuff I'm into, like The Cure, Bauhaus,etc.(all that "goth" stuff).

I said nah, don't really care for those acts, and she was quite suprised. This can happen with other acts I like:

Springsteen- I must like Bob Seger, Billy Joel, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, etc.

The Clash- I must like the Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Fear, hardcore in general, mall-punk in general.

The Replacements- I must like Soul Asylum, Goo Goo Dolls, Ryan Adams, Josh Ritter, all those other mopey dudes doing their "alt country" thing.

This kind of thing happens a lot with Stones (for me): people will assume you're into "classic rock" (whatever that means), i.e. you dig Styx, Journey, Kansas, Jefferson Starship, Boston, etc.

And then there are the "musicianly" type classic-rock peeps who are into the Allman Brothers, Jethro Tull, Leonard Skynerd, Foghat,Greatful Dead, hippie jam-band type stuff.

Finally, we've got the Rock n' Roll sorts, who seem to listen to as much new music of various types as old stuff, and mostly dig the Stones in the context of great craftsmen who can write a great simple song, play it with a nasty, funky, aggressive drive; and like the wild, funny,colorful, theatrical craziness of performing for people.

I know this is all a very generalized view I'm presenting, but- which camp do you belong to?

Re: Stones fans musical tastes
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 7, 2009 03:54

I will not be pigeonholed into any camp, my taste in music runs the gamut of styles.
From rock, blues, punk, reggae, funk, disco, r&b, soul, folk, country, bluegrass, classical,
medieval,etc., (did I forget anything?) and most of their offshoots...even a small dose of old school rap by golly...

But of course within each style/genre, there are some seriously horrible bands/musicians that fail to move me.
I have my personal standards and know my limits...the mention of Styx for example induces a feeling of nausea in me.
For the most part, I'm all ears and open-minded to almost everything.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 7, 2009 04:05

Odd connection to associate the Stones with those bands. I dont think they're remotely alike.

I'm a huge fan of The Stones and The Clash, yet I find every single one of the bands listed as associated with those acts utterly unlistenable. Most of those 'classic rock' acts dont really have the same roots as the Stones have. Maybe its a US thing, because none of those bands mean much outside of that country.

Most of the acts listed alongside Springsteen, who I'm also a huge fan of, I can take or leave. I dont think theres that strong of a connection.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 7, 2009 04:17

much bigger fan of jazz, blues, country, folk, trad, world, lounge, big band than of rock'n'roll, per se. i like just about all kinds of music, though...even some hip hop. it's good music if you like it and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise....

Date: April 7, 2009 04:49

Gazza
Odd connection to associate the Stones with those bands. I dont think they're remotely alike.

I'm a huge fan of The Stones and The Clash, yet I find every single one of the bands listed as associated with those acts utterly unlistenable. Most of those 'classic rock' acts dont really have the same roots as the Stones have. Maybe its a US thing, because none of those bands mean much outside of that country.

Most of the acts listed alongside Springsteen, who I'm also a huge fan of, I can take or leave. I dont think theres that strong of a connection.
Oh, Gazza, I completely agree, that's what I was trying to say- "I like the Stones, Clash, Springsteen, etc., therefore it's likely that I would like all those other dreadful or just uninteresting acts."

On job sites (construction/painting), some of us have a little joke: "it says in The Manual that you MUST listen to the local classic-rock station while on the job". Lots of guys hate it with a passion, but we always end up listening for some reason. It's weird and funny.
And then, after playing Journey or Styx or whatever, they'll say "And here's the Stones"- and, even if it's a song you've heard to death- Satisfacton, JJ Flash, Brown Suger, etc.- it will jump out of the speakers like it's a great young new band, full of atmosphere and drive and energy. Very surreal, that.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 7, 2009 04:56

Well I really like or love AC/DC, The Cult, U2, Willie Nelson, Muddy Waters, Prince, Drive-By Truckers, The Beatles, The Who, Kris Kristofferson, John Mooney...

Date: April 7, 2009 05:15

I love The Go! Team, John Coltrane, John Zorn, The Shaggs, Kate Bush, Roscoe Holcomb, The Pogues, the pipes & drums of the 2nd Battalion, Scots Guards and The Wild Tchoupitoulas. And on a mix CD any of those acts seem to go wonderfully with the Stones, from any era.

They should play some of those people on the shit-rock (whoops! I mean "classic-rock") stations.

I bet on job sites, it would increase productivity and morale by 842.04%

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 7, 2009 05:19

...cool another Pogues fan...and welcome on board Muppet HiFi

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: April 7, 2009 06:13

Make it three Pogues fans! Boys from the county hell, punkish and too cool, the intro to Turkish song of the Damned, mind blowing, and Young Ned of the Hill, beautiful, and all of Rum, Sodomy and the Lash. A pity Shane MacGowan lost his voice so completely, spoiling large shares of the last three albums for me...

Otherwise, I listen mostly to classical (from Monteverdi to Boulez, all the way!) and jazz (from Ellington to very experimental contemporary stuff and improvised music), and I adore 60s soul, and blues and some country (Buck Owens!!!)

In other genres, I cherry pick; not big on Rock, apart from the Stones and Clash and a few other bands here and there.

I love some Dylan stuff but find his recent works unbearable (although I'm oddly fascinated by the fascination he still ellicits, and read all the threads on this board about him, watch all the videos, and always think, eventually, that well.... nevermind).

Oh and yes, some hip hop. Not that i listen to it everyday, but some stuff is really awsome.

And some of my fellow francophones: Aznavour, Brel, Brassens, Gréco, Vian...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 7, 2009 11:50

I started listening Rollling Stones at the age of 10 (1970) Hearing Taylor inspired me to start playing the guitar when I was 12.

As my appetite for playing the guitar got stronger at about 16, I started listening to JazzRock,Fusion(Mahavishnu, Return to forever,Allan Holdsworth,BrBros), Jazz, Django stuff and Indian music.

I love to hear classical music too,Gorecky,Vaughan Williams,de Bussy,etc.

Also bands like Camel,Level 42,ABBA,Renaissance The Gentle Giant(amazing) and Zappa(!), Kate Bush ,Judy Tzuke are still in my collection.

I'm still listening Stones in my car,and will ask them to play at my funeral... With Mick Taylor only! winking smiley

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: April 7, 2009 12:10

Other than rock bands - Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Hendrix, The Who,I'm also enjoying jazz - Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Dizzie Gilespie, Charlie Parker

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 7, 2009 12:32

Stones - Jeffersson Airplane?!, Kansas, Boston??? Hm, strange indeed...I love Jeffersson Airplane...and the Doors, Love, Elecric Prunes, Seeds and all those acts!!!

Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: April 7, 2009 12:41

Well, here is my list of other bands:
- Bruce Springsteen
- U2
- The Red Devils
- The Beatles
- The J Geils Band
- The Strikes (dutch blues band)
- Joe Jackson
- BSO
- The Dixie Chicks
- Elvis (early years)
- Buddy Holly
- The Who
- The Black Crowes

Mr.Ed

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: April 7, 2009 12:42

De Bussy? Or would that be Claude Debussy?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 7, 2009 12:43

Make it four Pogues fans!!!

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 7, 2009 13:03

My faves :
The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Springsteen, Aerosmith, Metallica, Iron Maiden, BB King, JL Hooker, Queen, Hendrix, SRV, Johnny Cash, Marylin Manson, Leonard Cohen, Simon & Garfunkel, Dylan, Prince

The ones I dislike :
U2, The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Police, Post-Bad Michael Jackson, Early Beatles

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: April 7, 2009 13:10

Make it 5 pogues fans, I was at their first ever gig at the Pindar Of Wakefield, now the Water Rats in Kings Cross. haev great memories of those early days, Cait getting chucked out of a Peel sessions at Maida Vale, Doing a bit of "bad" liltingt in studuio for first album. missing the chance to mime the drums for their first first TUBE appearance.

Just recently reconnected with Phil Chevron after many years of no contact.

CRAZY FECKIN' DAYS

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 7, 2009 13:23

I'm a classic rock fan - love everything from AC/DC through to ZZ Top and most things on between!

Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: April 7, 2009 13:36

50's/60's: The Shadows (Drifters), The Beach Boys and The Jordanaires
60's; The Rolling Stones, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich and The Animals
70's: Led Zeppelin, Queen and Pink Floyd
80's: Nirvana, Aerosith and A-ha
90's: The Rolling Stones, Metallica and The Pogues
00's: Arcade Fire, The Killers and Die Toten Hosen

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 7, 2009 14:38

I grew up with the Stones, but only REALLY got into them in my early teens through recognising their blues roots (I was a trumpet tooting Louis Armstrong fan at fourteen) and realising that guitars don't hurt your mouth as much as trumpets (and, for some reason, girls found elecric guitarists more attractive than teenage trumpet tooters).

My fascination with the Stones coincided with getting into Chuck Berry and I still have the highest regard for Chuck's music - his lyrics, rhythm and guitar style. I am an unabashed rock 'n' roll fan to this day and am as likely to be listening to Jerry Lee or even Sleepy LaBeef as the Stones.

My interest in the Stones sent me on many other musical journeys, the most interesting of which was probably acoustic guitar blues (which were not as easy to find back in those pre-digital days). For years, I listened to little else but the blues and I still need my regular fixes of, say, Blind Willie Johnston or Blind Willie McTell. On electric, it might be Freddie King, Hound Dog Taylor....the lists are virtually endless.

Through the Stones I also heard the first country music that sounded cool to me and that was the start of another musical journey going back to Hank and beyond and you might catch me at Steve Earle or John Prine gigs or listening to Townes or Blaze Foley or Sam Baker...again, we're talking long lists.

Then of course, they did some reggae...

I suppose that what I'm trying to say is that the Stones influenced me musically, not least in passing their influences on to me and pointing me in directions that I still follow daily. As Keith said once (of his planned tombstone inscription):"he passed it on".

I don't listen to a lot of "classic rock" acts and, these days, I think the Stones are the only band that I would go to a stadium to watch. I do still prefer blues / country / rock 'n' roll based acts in general, but I like many types of music - as do most of us, I'm sure - and I wouldn't class myself as a "classic rock" fan just because of a lifelong interest in the Stones.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 7, 2009 16:10

otonneau
De Bussy? Or would that be Claude Debussy?

There comes de bussie..spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 7, 2009 16:20

Hairball
I will not be pigeonholed into any camp, my taste in music runs the gamut of styles.
From rock, blues, punk, reggae, funk, disco, r&b, soul, folk, country, bluegrass, classical,
medieval,etc., (did I forget anything?) and most of their offshoots...even a small dose of old school rap by golly...

But of course within each style/genre, there are some seriously horrible bands/musicians that fail to move me.
I have my personal standards and know my limits...the mention of Styx for example induces a feeling of nausea in me.
For the most part, I'm all ears and open-minded to almost everything.

Seems as if you read my mind...mysterious...

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 7, 2009 16:30

Hey Nanker, are you referring to the tube performance of Waxie's Dargle? Darryl Hunt filled in for Andrew on that occasion, I think.

Were the debut such a shambolic, drunken performance, with a screaming, shouting Spider during the entire gig, as described in the bios?

Kudos to Phil for putting together the outstanding Pogue Mahone box. Been enjoying it a lot.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 7, 2009 16:50

Most turntable play at my house....

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac...mostly live concerts...68-70.
Da Stones--62-72...
Band of Gypsies--Jimi Hendrix, most of the live stuff, occasionally the studio stuff from the Hendrix Family reissue vinyl
Early Syd Barrett Pink Floyd..Piper is THE psychedelic record of all time...
Jack White stuff..lately more Raconteurs than White stripes
Hot Tuna, mostly Live stuff...
Doug Jay and the Blue Jays (harmonica player extrordinaire...)
All kinds of Blues, From Tampa Red aka Hudson Whitaker to the 50s stuff, Louis Jordan, T-bone Walker, Muddy, Little Walter Jacobs, etc.
Some punk stuff, mostly early, Ramones, Pistols, Kennedies...
Occasionally some lighter stuff, Badfinger (Straight Up LP....Baby Blue single, too, as two different versions---one of hte greatest songs ever), Beatles together and solo.
Others, Magic Sam, rather frequently...
(Duane) Allman Brothers, and other Duane session work, with Boz Scaggs, Cowboy, etc.

Oops, I forgot that Long forgotten quartet from Phoenix, AZ, Billy Clone and the Same!

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-07 22:01 by stone-relics.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: April 7, 2009 16:51

Yes Sohoe, thats the one. Darrly I think originally stood in for Jem with me on drums but my ineptitude to even mime in time meant Darryl moving to drums and some production assistant on banjo. I was sat at front and handed Spider his tray for head bashing piece. it was recorded at the Irish Centre, Camden. Where the took the pic for album cover.
The first gig (like all the early ones) were MAD. I recall Spider passing the tray around for offerings, I shouted out that he already owed me some dosh and banter ensued. I recently transferred some tapes of those early gigs to CD, may even have that one, must check.

Weirdly I have just this minute got an e-mail form Stan Brennan who produced the first album.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 7, 2009 16:53

I listen to pretty much anything and everything except for all the rap/hiphop sh!t of today (although even within this there are some acts/songs that I love, mainly Eminem and 50 Cent, as well as songs by Beyonce and Christina).

I typically run the gamut from classical and Charlie's Jazz albums all the way thru Metallica and White/Rob Zombie. Having grown up in the 80's, I still love my hair metal, and will forever be playing it. There is nothing better'n that, in my book - even those that hate it vilely must admit it's better than ANYTHING that's come out in the last 10-15 years (artist wise).

But I also love a wide variety of artists. Here are a list of my other favorites in no particular order. I consider them a favorite because I have all of their albums:

AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, REM, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, Simon & Garfunkel, The Eagles, Don Henley, Fleetwood Mac, Beck, Motley Crue, Tesla, Neil Young, The Who, Poison, Whitesnake (their self-titled album was the first cassette I ever bought), White/Rob Zombie, Metallica, John Williams (composer extraordinaire - Star Wars, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, ET, etc), Alan Jackson, Chely Wright, Gary Allan, The Black Crowes, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Soundgarden/Audioslave/Chris Cornell, The Beatles, Brooks & Dunn, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Def Leppard, The Cult, Caedmon's Call, Rusted Root, Guns n Roses, Blondie Chaplin, White Lion, Cinderella, Shania Twain, No Doubt, Bulletboys, P.O.D., Jet, Big & Rich...

Others I really like but don't have all their albums: John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Jimi Hendrix, Gorky Park, Skid Row (have all the original lineup ones), Winger, Great White, Kid Rock, Aerosmith, Kiss, Tim McGraw, Sara Evans, Matisyahu, Midnight Oil, Sinead O'Connor, Ozzy Osbourne, Roxette, Bang Tango, Dangerous Toys, ZZ Top, The Monkees, Sheryl Crow, Sting, Rod Stewart/Faces, Badfinger, Abba, Cocktail Slippers...

Over the last few months, blues has really taken a front seat for me, particularly stuff Mick Taylor plays on. Have unearthed some fabulous gems there, but also many others like Lightning Hopkins, Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-07 16:55 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: April 7, 2009 17:13

Everything ranging from Beethoven to Slayer , except Elvis kinds of shit.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 7, 2009 17:49

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: April 7, 2009 20:12

I love the Stones and Dylan's music, after that then anything good works for me.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 7, 2009 21:35

I really like anything for instance I think Don't Stop Moving by SClub7 is a great song

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1532
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home