Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 39
Re: OT:Bruce Springsteen 2009
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 30, 2009 15:34

I'm curious for all you other Bruce fans out there, what do you think is his most underrated album? I'd have to go with Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ. I simply love that album! It was the second one I ever got after BITU, and it just grew and grew on me. How about you guys and gals??

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 30, 2009 16:51

VoodooLounge13
I'm curious for all you other Bruce fans out there, what do you think is his most underrated album? I'd have to go with Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ. I simply love that album! It was the second one I ever got after BITU, and it just grew and grew on me. How about you guys and gals??

Human Touch and Lucky Town aside, I don't think ant of Bruce's albums are underrated. Magic divides opinion (I didn't like it, but I came round). Working on a Dream, I think is terrible (give or take a couple of songs), but a lot of people seem to like it.

Bruce - like The Stones - is incapable of making a flat out dire album.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 30, 2009 18:36

VoodooLounge13

The Wild, The Innocent & The E-Street Shuffle.

Definitely in his top three, and probably the Bruce album I've listened to the most. Side 2 especially is just perfect.

Agree with Nikolai. He's never made a flat-out dire album in my book. Neither have the Stones for that matter.

As for Human Touch/Lucky Town. Never thought they were as bad as people make 'em out to be. A few clunkers but still some gems. "I Wish I Were Blind" is definitely one of my all time top half dozen songs in his entire catalogue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-30 18:51 by Gazza.

Date: July 30, 2009 18:55

Yeah, I'd have to agree there's never been a flat-out bad Bruce album, although Magic still probably gets the least amount of play for me.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 30, 2009 18:56

VoodooLounge13

I'd probably say,Tunnel of Love. A lot of diehards,myself included,love it. But from what I remember it wasn't a big critical or commercial success. Plus it was a little slower without as many rockers as some Springsteen albums. But a great one that I wish he would play more of live.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: July 30, 2009 19:00

SCL,
Tunnel of Love remains my all-time favorite Bruce album. Simply amazing.

Date: July 30, 2009 19:47

Gazza
VoodooLounge13

The Wild, The Innocent & The E-Street Shuffle.

Definitely in his top three, and probably the Bruce album I've listened to the most. Side 2 especially is just perfect.

Agree with Nikolai. He's never made a flat-out dire album in my book. Neither have the Stones for that matter.

As for Human Touch/Lucky Town. Never thought they were as bad as people make 'em out to be. A few clunkers but still some gems. "I Wish I Were Blind" is definitely one of my all time top half dozen songs in his entire catalogue.

Agree with you about The Wild, the Innocent ... his first masterpiece.

Human Touch might have been much better if he'd included songs like Trouble River and, especially, Sad Eyes. How and why he left those off in favour of crap like Real Man I'll never know.

Date: July 30, 2009 19:48

sweetcharmedlife
VoodooLounge13

I'd probably say,Tunnel of Love. A lot of diehards,myself included,love it. But from what I remember it wasn't a big critical or commercial success. Plus it was a little slower without as many rockers as some Springsteen albums. But a great one that I wish he would play more of live.

Beautiful album. One of my favourites. Great tour too, especially the European leg. I thought TOL was critically praised but commercially overlooked.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: July 30, 2009 23:11

Really like Tunnell Of Love as well, Its as close to his " Blood On The Tracks" as he has (or will) come.

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: July 30, 2009 23:18

I find most of his "dribble" is quite overrated. If I had to pick one underrated album, I'd go with The River. The latest one is about as bad as it gets.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 30, 2009 23:38

Maybe it's my age, but I can't imagine Greetings from Asbury Park or The Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle being underrated by anyone...

I thought everyone agreed these were fantastic albums. My two favorites, anyway.

Date: July 31, 2009 01:33

Greetings is probably both my favorite and his most underrated...

Yes its very Dylanish but I like that about it.. Its got some amazing stuff on it..

Date: July 31, 2009 01:55

texas fan
Maybe it's my age, but I can't imagine Greetings from Asbury Park or The Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle being underrated by anyone...

I thought everyone agreed these were fantastic albums. My two favorites, anyway.

Pretty much overlooked by the generation that discovered him post BITUSA (his weakest studio album), unfortunately.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 31, 2009 01:57

This thread is way off topic and should be deleted at once. We have to get back to talking about the things that really matter. You know, wigs, swollen fingers, stuff like that.

Date: July 31, 2009 02:55

July 30, 2009
Benidorm, Spain
Estadio Municipal de Foietes

Badlands
Working On The Highway
Hungry Heart
Outlaw Pete
Be True
Working On A Dream
Seeds
Johnny 99
I Fought The Law
Youngstown
Cadillac Ranch
Prove It All Night
Janey Don't You Lose Heart
My Love Will Not Let You Down
The Promised Land
Waiting On A Sunny Day
Girls In Their Summer Clothes
If I Should Fall Behind
Radio Nowhere
Lonesome Day
The Rising
Born To Run

Jungleland
Land of Hope & Dreams
American Land
Rosalita
Dancing In The Dark
Twist & Shout

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 31, 2009 06:57

Found this on the internet from EW.com

Bruce Springsteen to play full 'Born to Run' album in concert
by Simon Vozick-Levinson
Categories: Bruce Springsteen, News

One of the many inevitable singalong moments at a concert by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band comes whenever the gang breaks into something from 1975’s Born to Run. That album is eight undeniable anthems in a row, from “Thunder Road” straight through “Jungleland,” and fans go justifiably nuts as soon as they hear the opening notes of any one of ‘em. So just imagine how wild the assembled devotees at Chicago’s United Center are going to go on Sept. 20, when Bruce and Co. will perform Born to Run in its entirety, as their reps have just confirmed to the Music Mix. One of the most formally perfect albums of all time, played start to finish by a band that, as recent tours have proven, remains very much in possession of its rockin’ powers — talk about a show you don’t want to miss. YouTube just won’t be able to do this justice.

Personally, I’m going a little insane just thinking about the fact that I’m not going to be able to make it out to Chicago to see that show. Yet all hope isn’t lost: Rumor has it that Bruce and the band might be playing some similar full-album shows in other cities this fall. Does that mean there’s a chance that I might get to witness all of, say, 1978’s even-awesomer Darkness on the Edge of Town when I see Springsteen at Giants Stadium in a few months? The E Street camp wouldn’t confirm anything of the sort at this time, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. (After all, a month ago I was hoping that the Pixies would bring their European Doolittle tour to the States, and sure enough, this morning a press release informs me that they’re doing just that.)

Any Chicagoans psyched to see this show? Or are you, like me, stuck hoping this becomes a multi-city affair? Watch a much younger E Street Band tear through Born to Run’s “She’s the One” in 1975 below to refresh your memory, then let us know.

Date: July 31, 2009 07:16

Well honestly,not a real big deal BD. Considering he does most of this material live on any given night anyway. No word on this spreading to other shows. Other than rumours he might do different albums at Giants stadium......On a seperate note. Tickets went on sale today for Philly shows #3,4. Unfortunately nodbody bothered to inform the fans in that area they are supposed to be a hotbed of Springsteen fandom. Maybe their are some tarps left over from the Stones last tour. Looks like they might need them....Can somebody send Jon Landau a map of the USA that includes the West Coast. Evidently JLM is not aware of the existence of this far away land called the west coast that might actually sell some tix. As opppsed to the hardcore easterners who have responded with a Giant collective yawn to the 5000 east coast shows now on sale.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: July 31, 2009 08:50

VoodooLounge13

i don't think greeting or e street shuffle is underrated. those albums are always listed as essential bruce albums to own. i'd say tunnel of love or nebraska because both had to follow huge successful albums and the public didn't seem to "get" nebraska and tunnel of love was considered a flop after born in the usa.

Date: July 31, 2009 09:51

keefriffhard4life
VoodooLounge13

i don't think greeting or e street shuffle is underrated. those albums are always listed as essential bruce albums to own. i'd say tunnel of love or nebraska because both had to follow huge successful albums and the public didn't seem to "get" nebraska and tunnel of love was considered a flop after born in the usa.

Very good point. Darkness was a comparative commercial flop too, at the time. And that, like Nebraska and Tunnel, is a masterpiece.

Date: July 31, 2009 13:28

plus greeting and e street both outsold nebraska.

i like lucky town and human touch but maybe they should have been released at different times. one in late 1991/early 1992 and the other late 1993/early 1994. also human touch should have also been just 10 tracks which cuts the filler

Date: July 31, 2009 15:11

keefriffhard4life
plus greeting and e street both outsold nebraska.

i like lucky town and human touch but maybe they should have been released at different times. one in late 1991/early 1992 and the other late 1993/early 1994. also human touch should have also been just 10 tracks which cuts the filler

Neither Greetings nor Wild/Innocent outsold Nebraska initially. The first two albums barely sold. Bruce was close to getting dropped by CBS until Born to Run came out.

Nebraska got to No 2 on Billboard (I think - maybe higher, possibly lower). Don't forget this was after The River and Hungry Heart, so momentum alone shifted Nebraska.

I don't know what the current sales figures are for Nebraska, Tom Joad, Devils & Dust and the Seeger Sessions, but I'm guessing they're below the overall sales for the first two albums.

As for Human Touch/Lucky Town ... I agree with you that HT should have been cut down. But 10 songs is waaay too generous. I've combined my favourite songs from both albums and added stuff from Tracks to make a 12 track album. Did you notice that the music and arrangements to 57 Channels and Goin Cali are almost identical to When The Lights Go Out and The Big Muddy respectively?

Goes something like this:

Better Days
Lucky Town
Sad Eyes
I Wish I Were Blind
Loose Change
The Big Muddy
Trouble River
Human Touch
57 Channels
Thirty Days Out
Living Proof
If I Should Fall Behind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-31 15:17 by Nikolai.

Date: July 31, 2009 15:48

Nikolai

Neither Greetings nor Wild/Innocent outsold Nebraska initially. The first two albums barely sold. Bruce was close to getting dropped by CBS until Born to Run came out.

Nebraska got to No 2 on Billboard (I think - maybe higher, possibly lower). Don't forget this was after The River and Hungry Heart, so momentum alone shifted Nebraska.

I don't know what the current sales figures are for Nebraska, Tom Joad, Devils & Dust and the Seeger Sessions, but I'm guessing they're below the overall sales for the first two albums.

the Seeger album has sold more than WOAD has, believe it or not. Then again, its been out for 3 years whereas WOAD has been out 6 months.

the latter, despite slow sales by Bruce standards (1.57 million to date), is still the 13th biggest selling album in the world this year (and the 5th biggest seller of all 2009 releases). More a sign that record sales across the board have plummeted in the last 12 months more than anything else.

You're correct about the sales of the first two albums being slow at the time to the point where CBS almost dropped him.

Nebraska was a top 3 album but wasnt promoted by any touring - unlike every other studio album he has released.

Sales-wise Greetings from Asbury Park has sold 3.38 million. The Wild The Innocent sold 2.85 million. Nebraska has sold 3.2 million, Ghost of Tom Joad 2.3 million.

His other studio albums have sold as follows - Born In the USA (26.6 million), Born To Run (9.6 million, including the 2005 reissue), The River (8.9 million), Tunnel of Love (7.3 million), Darkness (5 million), The Rising (4.3 million),Human Touch (3.7), Lucky Town (3.1), Magic (2.8), Devils & Dust (1.6), Seeger Sessions (1.9 million)

Of other releases, the top sellers were the 1995 Greatest Hits album (12.5 million) and Live 1975/85 (6.8 million - even though it was a 3-CD/5-LP set). Total worldwide album sales are just under 115 million.

source for all this info - Earthslayer on GreasyLake (he's that forum's equivalent of Georgelicks when it comes to all this chart and sales info)

He also provided this innaresting little stat on album sales :

THE WORLD'S BIGGEST ALBUM SELLING ARTISTS TO DATE

This list only includes albums (both physical and digital)....it does not include 1-track downloads, traditional singles (2-3 tracks), EPs or videos. Artists denoted with a ** next to them were/are massive singles and/or EP sellers and, as such, results would be in a somewhat different "pecking order" if these were included in a "total records sold"list. Note: artists within each sales threshold group are not necessarily in the order of most sales within that group. In many cases it is simply too close to separate them.

340 - 359 million sold worldwide
THE BEATLES **

310 - 339 millon
nobody yet

280 - 309 million
nobody yet

250 - 279 million
nobody yet

220 - 249 million
nobody yet

190 - 219 million
ELVIS PRESLEY **
MICHAEL JACKSON ** .....does not include "Jackson 5"/"Jacksons" LPs

170 - 189 million
PINK FLOYD
MADONNA **

150 - 169 million
ELTON JOHN **
THE ROLLING STONES **
QUEEN **
U2 **
LED ZEPPELIN
CELINE DION...................does NOT include the soundtrack for the movie 'Titanic'

130 - 149 million
THE EAGLES
MARIAH CAREY **
GARTH BROOKS
WHITNEY HOUSTON **........includes the soundtrack for the movie 'The Bodyguard' (she has 6 songs on it)
AC/DC

110 - 129 million
BARBARA STREISAND
ROD STEWART **
FRANK SINATRA
THE BEE GEES **
ERIC CLAPTON
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
BILLY JOEL **
PHIL COLLINS
FLEETWOOD MAC
SANTANA
AEROSMITH

90 - 109 million
NEIL DIAMOND **
BOB DYLAN
ABBA **
DIRE STRAITS
BON JOVI
PAUL McCARTNEY **
PRINCE
SIMON & GARFUNKEL........does not include their solo albums
METALLICA
DAVID BOWIE
GENESIS
VAN HALEN
GUNS 'N ROSES
KENNY ROGERS
JULIO IGLESIAS

70 - 89 million

quite a few artists in this tier

Date: August 1, 2009 06:54

yes after the fact e street and greetings have sold well. i know at first they didn't but look at the sales of nebraska and tunnel or love compared to the previous album. gazza say the river is the river 8.9 million and nebraska is 3.2. born in the usa is 26.6 and tunnel is 7.3.

i'm guessing these are worldwide sales btw

Date: August 1, 2009 11:12

Thanks for posting that Gazza. Makes for very interesting reading.

Date: August 1, 2009 15:05

keefriffhard4life
yes after the fact e street and greetings have sold well. i know at first they didn't but look at the sales of nebraska and tunnel or love compared to the previous album. gazza say the river is the river 8.9 million and nebraska is 3.2. born in the usa is 26.6 and tunnel is 7.3.

They are.

Nebraska was a bleak acoustic album that wasnt followed by a tour - pretty understandable it wouldnt sell the same as a commercial release such as The River,

You cant really suggest that TOL was a failure with sales like that. BITUSA sold three times as many copies as any other studio album in his career. Lots of top selling artists have one release that sells in amounts that are disproprotionate to the rest of their catalogue. It'd be like saying all of Jacko or ACDC's albums were failures apart from Thriller or Back In Black.

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: August 2, 2009 00:07

Most underrated Bruce album? How about his 1995 masterpiece "The Ghost Of Tom Joad"??

Date: August 2, 2009 01:11

Nikolai

Especially when you consider that the Stones have sold around 160 million albums (plus ten of millions of singles) and yet when they play a show thats almost all warhorses, some people (including Jagger himself) justify it by claiming that anything else is an 'obscurity' and hardly anyone would know it or want to hear it.....

Date: August 2, 2009 01:25

Gazza
Nikolai

Especially when you consider that the Stones have sold around 160 million albums (plus ten of millions of singles) and yet when they play a show thats almost all warhorses, some people (including Jagger himself) justify it by claiming that anything else is an 'obscurity' and hardly anyone would know it or want to hear it.....

Don't get me started ....grinning smiley

I love the way Bruce gradually shreds the setlist the deeper into a tour he gets, playing more and more "obscure"/unexpected songs the closer he gets to the tour finale. The Stones would never do that. As far as Jagger et al are concered, the bulk of their fans are box ticking tourists who've only come to hear the hits - which is patently untrue.

Date: August 2, 2009 01:44

Valladolid 8/1

Intro (Roy on Accordion) Pasodoble

01. Badlands
02. No surrender
03. Night
04. Hungry heart
05. Outlaw Pete
06. Spirit in the night
07. Workin' on a dream
08. Seeds
09. Johnny 99
10. Trapped
Collecting signs
11. Raise Your Hand
12. GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!
13. Something In The Night
14. Surprise, Surprise
15. My Love Will Not Let You Down
16. Waitin' On A Sunny Day
17. The Promised Land
18. Girls In Their Summer Clothes
19. American Skn (41 Shots)
20. Lonesome Day
21. The Rising
22. Born To Run
~~~~~
23. 7 Nights To Rock
24. American Land
25. Bobby Jean
26. Dancing In The Dark
27. Twist & Shout

Date: August 2, 2009 06:24

Gazza
keefriffhard4life

They are.

Nebraska was a bleak acoustic album that wasnt followed by a tour - pretty understandable it wouldnt sell the same as a commercial release such as The River,

You cant really suggest that TOL was a failure with sales like that. BITUSA sold three times as many copies as any other studio album in his career. Lots of top selling artists have one release that sells in amounts that are disproprotionate to the rest of their catalogue. It'd be like saying all of Jacko or ACDC's albums were failures apart from Thriller or Back In Black.

i see your point

whoever said ghost of tom joad...yikes

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 39

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home