Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

U2's Claw stage twice as big as Bigger Bang stage- theatre in the round for stadiums
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 1, 2009 21:59

maybe already a thread on this, but ...

'It really works.' says Bono, 'It creates this real physical proximity to the crowd.' Rolling Stone on Willie Williams' design for the upcoming tour...
'Toward the end of U2's last tour, in November 2006, longtime show director Willie Williams presented the band with sketches of a four-legged monster - a massive structure with speakers mounted on each side that would allow the group to play stadium shows in the round.

On the new tour, which hits the U.S. beginning September 12th, in Chicago (and kicks off in Barcelona, on June 30th), Williams' vision will finally come to life. "The band is just sitting in the palm of the audience's hand," says Williams. "It really works." Adds Bono, "It creates this real physical proximity to the crowd."

Meet the Claw: U2's Massive New Stage Set

Inspiration: U2 show director Willie Williams got the idea for the in-the-round set (nicknamed "the Claw") from the futuristic, Disney-style Theme Building at LAX: It looks like a spaceship on four legs.

Structure: At 164 feet tall, the Claw, Williams says, is twice as high as the previous largest stadium stage set, from the Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang tour. "Theirs would fit underneath this one," he says.

Sound System: Each of the Claw's four sides will have its own full-size sound system - each powerful enough for an entire arena. There will also be 72 separate subwoofers.

Logistics: Currently being assembled in pieces around the world, the set will be made of solid steel - 120 trucks will cart it from show to show.

Well, a couple comments:

is size all that matters? (yeah, that's what she said).

they won't have to sell nearly as many tickets, but may be able to charge even more for them.

Do u think Mick will feel compelled to top this?

What else or I will just put this in the other thread if it exists??

p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-01 22:00 by timbernardis.

Re: U2's Claw stage twice as big as Bigger Bang stage- theatre in the round for stadiums
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 1, 2009 22:05

Re: U2's Claw stage twice as big as Bigger Bang stage- theatre in the round for stadiums
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 1, 2009 22:08

For stadium shows size probably does matter. You look at the Stones' 78 and 81 tours and those stages were huge then. But now with video screens, bigger is better, because everyone can at least see yet alone hear. I remember walking across the floor of the Silverdome looking at the Steel Wheels stage thinking HOLY SHIT THEY PARKED A CARGO SHIP IN HERE. That's what it felt like.

I find it very interesting that U2're doing this. The Stones and U2 have always been upping the quality of stadium shows for years now as far as staging etc - with the same team of designers more or less. So it's almost a tandem thing. Remember how Mick wanted a huge video screen for Voodoo but decided it was too expensive? U2 did it for PopMart when it was, I guess, slightly less expensive. So because of the research done for the Vodoo tour U2 were able to do that. And because of the success of the B-stage for ZOO TV the Stones were able to do their - moving - B-stage for Voodoo and then, as I've stated elsewhere, the best one EVER with Bridges. Nothing will ever top the Bridges B-stage.

Notice I didn't say either one was the first to do a B-stage, just talking about how it all has evolved.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 1, 2009 22:23

I just got tickets for the second Boston show.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: April 1, 2009 22:37

and we care about this because...?

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 1, 2009 22:37

Date: April 1, 2009 21:59
maybe already a thread on this, but ...

no thread but a threat - to our purses/wallets (when the Stones tour)

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: April 1, 2009 22:38

Stones fans...you just got yourself a new Stones Tour...

PECMAN

Date: April 2, 2009 06:01

socialdistortion

we are obsessed with the Stones, identify with them, and feel the need to SMASH or relegate to the fringes of the planet anyone who even remotely challenges our boys, our family, in any way.

U2 is attempting to infringe on our territory and must be given boundaries like a child and relegated to their room.

p

Date: April 2, 2009 06:06

Maybe socialdistortion needs some socialdetention.

Date: April 2, 2009 06:54

very clever, skip. Agreed.

plexi

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: April 2, 2009 08:16

u2 are the anti-Stones because they are pretentious and melodramatic. Like watching "Days of Our Lives" in U.s.

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: April 2, 2009 09:19

timbernardis
socialdistortion

we are obsessed with the Stones, identify with them, and feel the need to SMASH or relegate to the fringes of the planet anyone who even remotely challenges our boys, our family, in any way.

U2 is attempting to infringe on our territory and must be given boundaries like a child and relegated to their room. The plexiglass is gay.

p

Asinine to the point of being absurd. "Our territory", what does that mean? Ah, the ramblings of a mental midget. These things never fail to amuse me, but I soon grow bored with the whole thing.

We must remember, U2 had the "B" stage prior to "our family" having it.

This fellow feels compelled to continue with this imagined obsession....please in the future, refrain from casting your weakness and lack of mental skills on me.
And, I do not feel the need for violence or any feeling of ill will toward any band. If, indeed, I harbored such feelings, lightening would crash down upon Chuck Leavell, leaving not enough evidence to gather a DNA sample. But, I feel I have evolved past such primitive thoughts, and for this, I profit. Pleasant thought, though.

The Rolling Stones do not have sole right to a large stage. Each band is free to choose and design the stage they want to perform on. I shouldn't even have to make a statement like that, but sometimes fools have to be taken by the hand and shown the way. Isn't that right, Mr. Bernardis?

U2 is a band that, for most part, I do not care for. They have a few songs I like, but I would never count myself as a fan of theirs. However, I feel they can do whatever they want. They have fans just like the Stones do, and those fans will enjoy this show. Good for them. I do not wish to deprive them of the experience. Some do wish this. I won't mention any names, Mr. Bernardis.

To experience envy of a stage is one of the most pitiful things I've ever heard of. Thoughts such as these are the result of a brain that isn't working to its full potential.

"Feel the need to SMASH or relegate to the fringes of the planet"?

There are medications that will clear these thoughts right up. Use all the resources availible to you, Mr. Bernardis. Modern medicine can work wonders......the first step is admitting you have a problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-02 12:50 by GNAT.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 2, 2009 12:21

I don't think Bono is capable enough to handle such a stage.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 2, 2009 14:17

Shott
u2 are the anti-Stones because they are pretentious and melodramatic. Like watching "Days of Our Lives" in U.s.

The same 'Days of our lives' that the ever dangerous Stones allowed to use 'Streets of Love' as an integral part of a corny subplot in 2005?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 2, 2009 14:19

I think its all show and no go.

The old rule (stage facing the audience) is the best one. Why change it? What's the big deal in having half the stadium with a great view of the band's ass?

C

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 2, 2009 15:08

Bono will need a Segway to move on his stage. He'll pass it off as "aren't I cool"

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 2, 2009 19:26

Maybe this will galavanise the Stones to put on an 'in the round' tour!! rotating superbowl stage godamnit!!!

Altough it has been mentioned how Jagger doesn't like the idea of doing a whole show in the centre, bollocks, do it!!!

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: April 2, 2009 20:52

Didn't they already do this in 75/76? Basically?

Date: April 2, 2009 22:39

Gazza's right - YIKES. Days Of Our Lives with Streets Of Love. What kind of moment is THAT in Stones history and legacy? Best forgotten I say.

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: May 4, 2009 04:12

To me, concerts are supposed to be about the music, not the stage,the fireworks,or the smoke. But I guess some bands can't get by on just the music alone.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 4, 2009 04:48

Unfortunately the Stones seem to think they're one of them.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 4, 2009 05:28

I wonder If I'll be able to see anything. I'll be 75 rows up directly to the side of the stage.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 4, 2009 05:53

This is all getting very Spinal Tap-ish.....

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 4, 2009 05:56

U2s tour is gonna rock like all of them do no matter what the stage set up is, GIANTS STADIUM is my stop

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home