Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Appreciation of Can't Be Seen
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 5, 2021 18:14

cimaz
Even as an outtake it wouldn't be an interesting song.

thumbs up

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 5, 2021 20:06

Oh yeah. Listened to this song through headphones and can only say, WTF? It sucks big time. There's no other words for it. There are songs on Steel Wheels that still hold up well. This ain't never gonna be one of them.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: June 5, 2021 20:23

[m.youtube.com]

Can't Be Seen 1990, the way Keith was playing at this point in time he could have turned Marry Had A Little Lamb into a cool Rocker.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 5, 2021 20:24

treaclefingers
[It's along the lines of a tune like, "It Won't Take Long",

Hardly.

"Can't Be Seen" is awful. Lame in every way.

"It Won't Take Long" was a return to greatness. The Stones were back in the groove with a song that didn't pale next to their 1968-1972 work.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 5, 2021 20:50

I can relate to the lyrics from personal experience. There's this common notion about Stones concerts feeling "like it could fall apart at any moment" To me it seems with this song it's sort of the opposite: it appears scattered all over the place and Keith and the background singers puzzle it together while playing it.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 5, 2021 21:35

In a Rolling Stones context, I am sorry, this is to me a rather indifferent song.

(And I am one who in latter day Stones context loves "Always Suffering".)

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 5, 2021 22:46

A fun song that I've always enjoyed. First became familiar with it on Flash Point. It's better live, the production of it on the album version sounds dated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-05 22:49 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 5, 2021 23:23

Maybe Keith's worst song on a Stones album.

Was he having an affair around this time? This and the sublime "Make No Mistake" allude to an affair.

Patti's suspected affair (with the preacher) was kinda addressed in "Thief In The Night".

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 5, 2021 23:39

"They set us up so they can shoot us down"
is the start of a great bridge and one of
the best lines he has written.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 6, 2021 00:11

Maybe the best pee break song ever...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 6, 2021 01:02

loog droog
treaclefingers

Hardly.

"It Won't Take Long" was a return to greatness. The Stones were back in the groove with a song that didn't pale next to their 1968-1972 work.

Oh sorry...of course you would be right. I can't believe I didn't see that before. Thanks to you for speaking up!

I'll look to you for guidance moving forward.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 6, 2021 05:21

It's no Happy or Before They Make Me Run, but still a pretty good song! The way he sings the verses is pretty cool.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 6, 2021 07:10

I may be wrong, and I searched for it but found nothing, that Rolling Stone magazine, at some point, said that, not verbatim, it was embarrassing that Keith would suggest such a thing.

It's a kickin' tune, for sure, but so are some on DIRTY WORK and that doesn't make them great by any stretch, but the bridge is the best part about it.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: June 6, 2021 12:17

It's just too deep for me.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 6, 2021 12:34

Live it’s a shocker

Studio it’s a belter

Like Sway in fact. Sway has an odd tempo in the studio that sounds wonderful. But on stage that tempo sort of makes it falter.

Rod

Posted by: axl79 ()
Date: June 6, 2021 12:46

Good song. Brings back a lot of Urban jungle tour memories, every time I listen to the song nowadays.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: June 6, 2021 13:47

DandelionPowderman
Always liked it. As MelBelli says, it's easy to get lost while playing it live (and they did, in 0slo 2014!).

[youtu.be]

Ouch.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 6, 2021 14:52

padre69
DandelionPowderman
Always liked it. As MelBelli says, it's easy to get lost while playing it live (and they did, in 0slo 2014!).

[youtu.be]

Ouch.
Yeah, on the start of the 2014 tour is was quite rough but it got really good from the middle of the tour on:

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-06 14:53 by StonedRambler.

Date: June 6, 2021 16:16

StonedRambler
padre69
DandelionPowderman

[youtu.be]

Ouch.
Yeah, on the start of the 2014 tour is was quite rough but it got really good from the middle of the tour on:

[youtu.be]

It was really good at Roskilde.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 7, 2021 00:28

Great on Steel Wheels tour.Keef centre stage with the two chics dancing and singing either side of him.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: June 7, 2021 00:51

Rocktiludrop
[m.youtube.com]

Can't Be Seen 1990, the way Keith was playing at this point in time he could have turned Marry Had A Little Lamb into a cool Rocker.

Even at the peak of his powers, he still got lost in this arrangement!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 7, 2021 01:24

I could've come up with that one in my sleep...it's a snoozer...but give Keef credit on this one...a chance ta take a piss mid show...just make it back in time for the guitar solosmileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-07 01:27 by shadooby.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 7, 2021 01:32

MelBelli
Rocktiludrop
[m.youtube.com]

Even at the peak of his powers, he still got lost in this arrangement!

SRV beat him to it........

SRV RIP

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 7, 2021 09:00

The problem with the 2014 renditions is that Keith could be a little less sparing with the licks. There’s a tad too much cradling of the guitar going on! When he does connect, his playing is good.

Date: June 7, 2021 11:45

loog droog
treaclefingers

Hardly.

I'd say it's the other way around. It Won't Take Long is predictable and drags. Can't Be Seen, in its popiness, has some interesting chord changes and a nice melody. And the bridge is killer!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 7, 2021 14:05

shadooby
I could've come up with that one in my sleep...

I could have come up with just about every riff Keith has come up with. I could have, but in reality I never did.

Mathijs

Re: Track Talk: Can't Be Seen
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 7, 2021 14:49

Isn't "Can't Be Seen" the last Keith number we could call as a rocker as far as the Stones catalogue go?

I agree, like many have noted, that there is some interesting musical ideas going on there. A rather surprising chord changes, and some extra melodical hooks. But over-all, mostly due to production, I think it pretty much sounds like a typical poppish AOR tune of the late 80's. It sounded fresh and novel back then, but I think Father Time has not been very kind to it. It sounds a bit 'silly', a bit like "Wanna Hold You" does (and unlike TALK IS CHEAP material do). Although having some special structural choices to offer some drama - especially the bridge - the endless repetation of the poppish main line starts to get a bit boring, if not even annoying after a while...

But just watched its Tokyo '90 version. The song itself is no better or worse, but what was striking is how strong Keith as a performer was back then. It all looked so easy for him to play and sing anything. One can see how much good The Winos has done for him as a frontman. Just compare that to his nervous performances of "Little T&A" in 1981/82 (which, of course, were charming by their own means).

- Doxa

Date: June 7, 2021 14:53

The last Keith number in the Stones catalogue I'd call a rocker is Thru and Thru

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 7, 2021 15:48

Nikkei
The last Keith number in the Stones catalogue I'd call a rocker is Thru and Thru

The new set of outtakes show that Flip The Switch and Lowdown were all Keith's.

Mathijs

Date: June 7, 2021 16:04

Mathijs
Nikkei

The new set of outtakes show that Flip The Switch and Lowdown were all Keith's.

Mathijs

one-upped again cool smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home