Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Can't Be Seen
Date: June 7, 2021 16:32

Then we have One More Shot...

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: June 7, 2021 16:55

DandelionPowderman

I *think* he means a rocker that Keith himself sings, not just writes or co-writes. And I don’t think “Thru and Thru” really counts. … In any case, I vaguely recall Keith saying that Mick guards the rockers for himself.

Date: June 7, 2021 16:59

MelBelli
DandelionPowderman

I *think* he means a rocker that Keith himself sings, not just writes or co-writes. And I don’t think “Thru and Thru” really counts. … In any case, I vaguely recall Keith saying that Mick guards the rockers for himself.

You're right. We haven't heard Keith's version of One More Shot yet. He did sing it, though, according to Jordan smiling smiley

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: June 7, 2021 17:05

DandelionPowderman
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman

You're right. We haven't heard Keith's version of One More Shot yet. He did sing it, though, according to Jordan smiling smiley

I’d love to hear it. Maybe someday. But stuff that gets hyped like that is bound to underwhelm.

Date: June 7, 2021 19:13

MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
MelBelli
DandelionPowderman

I’d love to hear it. Maybe someday. But stuff that gets hyped like that is bound to underwhelm.

Agreed. Scarlet springs to mind. I liked it, but it was far from 'the Holy grail.

Re: Appreciation of Can't Be Seen
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 8, 2021 10:20

DandelionPowderman
loog droog
treaclefingers
[It's along the lines of a tune like, "It Won't Take Long",

Hardly.

"Can't Be Seen" is awful. Lame in every way.

"It Won't Take Long" was a return to greatness. The Stones were back in the groove with a song that didn't pale next to their 1968-1972 work.

I'd say it's the other way around. It Won't Take Long is predictable and drags. Can't Be Seen, in its popiness, has some interesting chord changes and a nice melody. And the bridge is killer!

Dandy as usual you are spot on! It Won't Take Long is not a bad song but it's the Gimme Shelter chords in reverse and a lazy chorus, Can't Be Seen is a masterpiece, those chord changes are so unorthodox and the chorus is genius and I love the fact it is just there once and then it is gone. Just how songs oughta be written really. Makes ya wanna go back and back. It Won't Take Long is just good for the gym, although I wouldn't mind listening to the Hollywood Bowl version if it ever becomes available. But it sure as h**l ain't no Can't Be Seen. Those hypnotic songs Keith come up with are just UNIQUE! Something For Nothing from his latest solo LP is in a smilar vein, PURE CLASS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-08 10:21 by MadMax.

Date: June 8, 2021 10:26

Where is this version from?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 8, 2021 10:54

.... Yeah wish they'd kept
workin on It Wont Take Long live .... love the grind of it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: June 8, 2021 19:42

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

This is brilliant, so disappointing Mick refused to persevere with this, Keith and Ronnie really playing it well, Mick perhaps uncomfortable with becoming familiar with new lyrics of a Keith song and throws it in the trash. Same with One More Shot but with Won't Take Long it's a travesty because regardless of what DP says with all this negativity about being predictable and drags blah blah , it's actually the modern day Gimme Shelter, i knew it was the best song they wrote in decades first time i heard it.
I'm guessing this live version was part of the press conference to promote the new tour at the time ?

Date: June 8, 2021 20:45

Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

This is brilliant, so disappointing Mick refused to persevere with this, Keith and Ronnie really playing it well, Mick perhaps uncomfortable with becoming familiar with new lyrics of a Keith song and throws it in the trash. Same with One More Shot but with Won't Take Long it's a travesty because regardless of what DP says with all this negativity about being predictable and drags blah blah , it's actually the modern day Gimme Shelter, i knew it was the best song they wrote in decades first time i heard it.
I'm guessing this live version was part of the press conference to promote the new tour at the time ?

I meant the studio version. Live it had some balls smiling smiley

Date: June 8, 2021 22:09

DP. I think the studio version is still a stand out track though, Mick's vocals are menacing in a great way that takes me back to decades before, am i right in thinking this is one of Keiths or did Mick do the lyrics ?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 9, 2021 00:17

.... there was an interview with Mick where he
mentioned It Wont Take Long started out as a soul number ....

lurv ta hear it ...

ROCKMAN

Date: June 9, 2021 00:30

Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

This must be the version from Hollywood Bowl on 8th of november 2005 n'est ce-pas?

That or it's from San Diego a couple of days later as it it the only two times they EVER played it live. Come MSG they found out that it much more fun to do the similar (riff-wise at least, although in open G as opposed to IWTL) Love Is Strong which showed up in a couple of shows during ABB 06/07 too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-09 00:40 by MadMax.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: June 10, 2021 01:25

I have heard them playing can't be seen in 1989 and 2014.
In 1989 I didn't like it too much. In 2014 it was a nice dirty surprise. Rough and dirty.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 10, 2021 06:49

MadMax
Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

This must be the version from Hollywood Bowl on 8th of november 2005 n'est ce-pas?

That or it's from San Diego a couple of days later as it it the only two times they EVER played it live. Come MSG they found out that it much more fun to do the similar (riff-wise at least, although in open G as opposed to IWTL) Love Is Strong which showed up in a couple of shows during ABB 06/07 too.

It's awesome that they played it. Something new. But it's obvious why it didn't last: it has the wrong kind of lurch, live, just like Love Is Strong.

It just doesn't work. It's a bit pedestrian. Just like with Sway, She's So Cold, Rocks Off, She Was Hot, Emotional Rescue (which they should be embarrassed about regarding how they just flew through it) and, well, Love Is Strong, amongst quite a few others, it just doesn't work live.

Its weird how they can take some obscure songs, say Monkey Man, and make them sound fantastic, and others...

Date: June 11, 2021 00:52

GasLightStreet
MadMax
Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

It's awesome that they played it. Something new. But it's obvious why it didn't last: it has the wrong kind of lurch, live, just like Love Is Strong.

It just doesn't work. It's a bit pedestrian. Just like with Sway, She's So Cold, Rocks Off, She Was Hot, Emotional Rescue (which they should be embarrassed about regarding how they just flew through it) and, well, Love Is Strong, amongst quite a few others, it just doesn't work live.

Its weird how they can take some obscure songs, say Monkey Man, and make them sound fantastic, and others...

If you think your list of songs don't work live i suggest a hearing aid.

Either that or you're hearing without listening..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-11 01:23 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: June 11, 2021 13:44

Well they certainly never captured the crawling king snake-vibes on Love Is Strong live, which is really strange. It shouldn't be a difficult song to do should it??

Date: June 11, 2021 14:26

MadMax
Well they certainly never captured the crawling king snake-vibes on Love Is Strong live, which is really strange. It shouldn't be a difficult song to do should it??

The MTV Video Music Awards-version was the nearest they got, imo. Quite good.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 11, 2021 14:37

-

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-27 23:48 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 11, 2021 15:29

DandelionPowderman
MadMax

[www.youtube.com]

It´s about the voice: Mick feels uncomfortbly in singing in the low key which is a need for the verses. Later in the tour he switched much earlier in the high key.
Yes, this version might be the best

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 11, 2021 15:33

Rocktiludrop
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

While I love CAN´T BE SEEN, "it won´t take long to forget this one". It´s amazing how can one love this calling it "modern day gimme shelter", while for me it´s such a cheap crappy tune, miles below most of the recently surfaced "fullfinished outtakes"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 11, 2021 18:17

DandelionPowderman
MadMax

[www.youtube.com]

Can someone spot Darryl in that clip? Behind an amp? Commander can't handle the lower register here. He is better on the high notes.

Date: June 11, 2021 18:44

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
MadMax

[www.youtube.com]

Can someone spot Darryl in that clip? Behind an amp? Commander can't handle the lower register here. He is better on the high notes.

Darryl is there, on the right side of the stage besides Keith.

Date: June 12, 2021 15:39

I always thought this song was a confession about a one night stand between two people who were married to other people. So it was hot but not to be repeated. One of his friends wives? I like the song, and it keeps me guessing. I bet Patti hates this song.

Re: Appreciation of Can't Be Seen
Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: June 12, 2021 16:54

Mathijs
shadooby
I could've come up with that one in my sleep...

I could have come up with just about every riff Keith has come up with. I could have, but in reality I never did.

Mathijs

Lovely quote...

I actually did come up with some riffs that Keith never did, but well, they didn't make it very far.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home