Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Can't Be Seen
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 21, 2014 13:22

guitarbastard
always wondered whom his singing about?

Anita Pallenberg according to his own autobiography.

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 21, 2014 13:55

He could be doing Little T&A instead

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 21, 2014 17:58

still waiting for Coming Down Again!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 21, 2014 18:59

not a big fan of cant be seen or mixed emotions, especially mixed emotions, its way overrated.

steel wheels has some good stuff on it though.

hold on to your hat
continental drift
almost hear you sigh
break the spell

the highlights.

as an album its average.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: June 21, 2014 20:50

I for one love Keiths 2 song set during the gigs. I'd be very very disappointed if he didn't do it. It's also a chance for Mick to have a little half time break. I'd argue Keith has not one bad song on any Stones album. Can't Be Seen is cool, not a classic but a good one though i'm sure most of us would love him just once to give us Coming Down Again.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 20, 2020 15:53

Apologies to dredge up a 6 year old thread, but Cant be Seen is on the menu this week.

I first heard Steel Wheels in 1993, always felt a magic with about 5 of the tracks (AHYS, Slipping, Break the Spell, Continental, Terrifying), with Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions and Hearts for Sale being almost as good. CBS was always a skipper, whether on Wheels, Flashpoint, or the ProShots from the tours. For some reason I put it on yesterday, after a few days of grooving to Crosseyed Heart, and I really enjoyed it. Certainly no classic, and lyrically odd, but really enjoying the tempo, guitar lines and melody.

It only took 27 years to appreciate the track smiling smiley

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 20, 2020 22:01

Keith managed it to slaughter this tune almost every time in 2014. Amazing he never learned from this mistakes.

Date: September 20, 2020 22:42

deardoctor
Keith managed it to slaughter this tune almost every time in 2014. Amazing he never learned from this mistakes.

He got it right at Roskilde (last show) smiling smiley

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: September 20, 2020 22:50

a track not worthy of being sought out, but if it happens to come on in rotation or at random, then just good enough no to change it.

Saw it live in 1989, and it was not much better. Like most of his live product since 2002, Keith's just massacred it.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 21, 2020 00:24

Keith Corporate Rock

Not good except the line about "put us six feet underground, that's just too deep for me"

Was he having an affair at this time? This one and "Make No Mistake" are in the same vein.

I know he was concerned about Patti and her preacher around the time of " Thief In The Night".

Date: September 21, 2020 00:38

DandelionPowderman
deardoctor

He got it right at Roskilde (last show) smiling smiley

well then ... finally mission acomplished smileys with beer

Date: September 21, 2020 00:59

Send It To me
still waiting for Coming Down Again!

Next tour: Before they make me run and Happy

Tour after that: Happy and BTMMR

Wait! Random with You got the silver

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-21 01:00 by deardoctor.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 21, 2020 05:06

Keith does far too few rockers on subsequent albums, I miss them!

Not as good as Happy, Before They Make Me Run, or even Wanna Hold You, but Can't Be Seen is still a pretty damn good tune. I had not listed to it for some time, but just gave it a spin to refresh and it is definitely better than I thought.

Appreciation of Can't Be Seen
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 5, 2021 02:34

It's genius, first the verse starts with the A then the following lines he's got us all worked up with the F#m, it gets me everytime! Am I dumb or is this one of a very few times where we actually get a chord progression like this and it sounds perfectly logical? Some others should come to mind but this is really unique isn'it? The only I can think of which got this kind of "roundabout" chord sequence is Oh No Not You Again but it's still a bit different. Just AMAZINGsmileys with beer

Re: Appreciation of Can't Be Seen
Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 5, 2021 02:38

Worst song Keith has ever performed. An album stinker. Sorry, that is my opinion.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 5, 2021 02:38

Midnight Toker
Worst song Keith has ever performed. An album stinker. Sorry, that is my opinion.

No kidding. It's like Mick simply didn't have the power to veto it.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: June 5, 2021 02:47

I have always liked the song. Carrying over from Winos album, Keith was deliberately avoiding formulaic verse-chorus structure. There’s an A section, a B, and a C. For that reason, they have a hard time doing it live. Too easy to get lost.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 5, 2021 02:50

MadMax
It's genius, first the verse starts with the A then the following lines he's got us all worked up with the F#m, it gets me everytime! Am I dumb or is this one of a very few times where we actually get a chord progression like this and it sounds perfectly logical? Some others should come to mind but this is really unique isn'it? The only I can think of which got this kind of "roundabout" chord sequence is Oh No Not You Again but it's still a bit different. Just AMAZINGsmileys with beer

Don’t know nothing about composition merits, doesn’t sound in the same league of Bach if I had to bet, but for sure I love this one!

Big surprise when I heard it in Rome on one of the latest tours

C

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: June 5, 2021 06:06

Even as an outtake it wouldn't be an interesting song.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: June 5, 2021 07:37

I think the 'set us up so they can shoot us down' bridge has a very strong melody so 'stinker' is an unfair description. You may not like the track but is has a good tune.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 5, 2021 07:58

I’ve always really liked it. It was performed terrifically during the Steel Wheels and Urban Jungle tour. It was nice to see Keith revisit it - on YouTube, admittedly! - although the performance is at a much slower tempo and there’s a casualness to the approach.

Date: June 5, 2021 08:27

Always liked it. As MelBelli says, it's easy to get lost while playing it live (and they did, in 0slo 2014!).

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 5, 2021 08:33

Talking of weird chord progressions, All About You is one that takes some unexpected turns, but makes it sound natural, with excellent results.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: June 5, 2021 09:23

I wanted to enjoy it live but at Maine Road in 1990, Bill and Charlie seemed to be playing a different song. Could have been the live mix?

Date: June 5, 2021 11:23

peoplewitheyes
Talking of weird chord progressions, All About You is one that takes some unexpected turns, but makes it sound natural, with excellent results.

Yes!

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 5, 2021 11:35

Funny is that people always tend to dislike the latter-day songs while under
the old ones there are also some really bad ones and people tend to ignore that.

I bet if Can't be seen had been on Tattoo You instead of T&A and T&A on Steel Wheels people would dislike T&A more and praise Can't be seen.

Same with other modern Stones songs. Songs like Almost Hear You Sigh, Saint Of Me, Laugh, I Nearly Died or Love is Strong are way better than some of their 70s songs (Silver Train, Luxury, Lies, Turd on the Run, Can You Hear The Music come to my mind) but get disliked way more than those.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-05 11:41 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: June 5, 2021 13:02

MadMax

Fond memories of seeing Keith play this live a bunch of times in 1990, it was strange because after the first show I'd ever seen with the Stones this is the song i couldn't get out of my head, and as i remember it went down well with the crowd and continued to on following tours when Keith played it.

I've always thought CBS worked better live, wasn't over impressed with the Studio version though but having said that i don't think it let the album down or anything, just expected better from Keith as he released a couple Gems on the previous Stones album. Had Too Rude and Sleep Tonight been released on Tatoo You would they have been remembered more favourably ?

Some of Keith's outtakes from the Dirty Work sessions would have been worthy of a place in most albums since DW, it's hard to work out how Keith's talents haven't found their place onto Micks Stones album's in recent decades, i presume Mick rejects Keith's idea of what the Stones should sound like, but as you say MadMax, Keiths a genius smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-05 13:48 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 5, 2021 17:06

StonedRambler
Funny is that people always tend to dislike the latter-day songs while under
the old ones there are also some really bad ones and people tend to ignore that.

I bet if Can't be seen had been on Tattoo You instead of T&A and T&A on Steel Wheels people would dislike T&A more and praise Can't be seen.

Same with other modern Stones songs. Songs like Almost Hear You Sigh, Saint Of Me, Laugh, I Nearly Died or Love is Strong are way better than some of their 70s songs (Silver Train, Luxury, Lies, Turd on the Run, Can You Hear The Music come to my mind) but get disliked way more than those.

I think this is a spot on observation SR. For the record I've always liked this song. It's along the lines of a tune like, "It Won't Take Long", where it's not something that immediately comes to mind...doesn't stand out for some reason but when it does get played I always appreciate it.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 5, 2021 17:42

treaclefingers
It's along the lines of a tune like, "It Won't Take Long", where it's not something that immediately comes to mind...doesn't stand out for some reason but when it does get played I always appreciate it.
Yeah, when a song is played live it always shows it's real quality. I rather hear them play Out Of Control or Saint of Me live than Dancing with Mr. D or any other mediocre 70s song (although people will disagree with me which is fine!) In my opinion the problem with many good modern Stones songs is that the production and the studio performance isn't on par with the songs. Only when they play live it becomes clear how much potential the songs have.

Doesn't mean that all modern Stones songs are good though, there are also some really mediocre songs...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-05 17:43 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 5, 2021 18:13

Horrible song, like "Losing my touch" or "Infamy".

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home