Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Can't Be Seen
Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: June 19, 2014 21:42

Awful song, playing is good but the vocals and singing are the worst, almost as bad as wanna hold you.... Lame

Posted by: frtg55 ()
Date: June 19, 2014 21:47

Boring song!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 19, 2014 21:50

boring song

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 19, 2014 21:51

I'm indifferent to it. Hearing it in Berlin did nothing for me either. I would have preferred Before They Make Me Run but I applaud Keith for doing something different. Mick sure as hell won't....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 19, 2014 23:22

Garbage. His worst song as a Stone.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: June 19, 2014 23:32

It's great that keith is trying different numbers and good to see his singing better but ........

.now he's done it for a while and shown he can do it and given us a few thrills and spills as he forgets the words, screws up the chords and still manages to recover to fight another bridge, can we have "before they see me run" or "happy" back please ( sorry to be boring but if this is a "best of " set list lets keep it to best of )

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 20, 2014 08:05

This song flopped on Steel Wheels, and only sounds slightly better now. It's one of the two songs that could have been removed from the album to make it a classic.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 20, 2014 09:59

CBS and YGTS, starring Keith the crooner.........possibly the worst 1-2 punch for a Keith set ever. Never thought the Keith set would ever be the "piss break"........sad.

Date: June 20, 2014 10:17

I love this song. Always have. It's got a nice drive, and the bridge is brilliant.

I could do without the effects on the guitar solo, though.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 20, 2014 10:37

I didn't like it on Steel Wheels (the only Stones album I NEVER listen to).
BUT in Vienna on Monday somehow it was @#$%& great! I noticed that Charlie love this song or respect Keith to sing this instead of the easy hits like Happy. Next morning much to my surprise I started singing it and can't get out of my mind. So hats off Keith!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-20 10:45 by 1962.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 20, 2014 13:35

DandelionPowderman
I love this song. Always have. It's got a nice drive, and the bridge is brilliant.

I could do without the effects on the guitar solo, though.

I agree DP - especially about the bridge. First time I saw the Stones (Wembley 1990) as a mere whippersnapper, I wasn't overly familiar with the Steel Wheels material but I remember when Keith performed CBS and thinking how great that bridge was.

Interestingly it's very similar to the bridge of Mick's 'Lonely at the top'
(Skip to 1:44 if you can't stand to hear the rest of it!)

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 20, 2014 13:40

Great track, love it.

Not sure they've really got the hang of it on this tour, but I did like it on the 1989/90 tours.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: June 20, 2014 15:30

I like this song. I'm not sure if it's cause I'm nostalgic for Steel Wheels or that it is a truly good Keith song. I'm glad to see Keith giving it a go on this tour.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: June 20, 2014 16:06

Utter toss. It's so weak in that it tries to be urgent and dangerous but is just dull and harmless. It just goes nowhere.
And the lyrics. Omg.

The most embarrassing Stones line ever: "you're married anyway".
Kill me.

Just lots of layering and production to cover the fact there's nothing there really at all.

Date: June 20, 2014 16:13

Is this the best version so far on this tour? I think it's brilliant thumbs up

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 20, 2014 16:22

I've seen a brilliant version in Paris last week. After only reading reviews beforehand
(never looking at those youtube clips) I was surprised by the enthusiasm Keith put into
his singing of Can't be seen. That's not what I read about in the reviews.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 20, 2014 16:24

Sorry, but this is just boring. Doesn't really have a strong riff or hook, and just plain boring. Keith can do much better and has.

Date: June 20, 2014 16:25

marcovandereijk
I've seen a brilliant version in Paris last week. After only reading reviews beforehand
(never looking at those youtube clips) I was surprised by the enthusiasm Keith put into
his singing of Can't be seen. That's not what I read about in the reviews.

On the first couple of verses he was so unsure about where to sing in the song that it clearly affected him when he found the right spots as well smiling smiley

The Oslo version was a trainwreck, but I loved it just the same.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 20, 2014 17:50

Alright, I've given this tune a couple more spins. The bridge is pretty good. I think it's the lyrics that are just -- a while ago someone said they're of a subject matter that's just not something a Rolling Stone would worry about.

A considerable difference since the STEEL WHEELS tours. It's slower, Keith's playing is mainly absent - but when he does play it's cranked up higher than anything in the mix - and he's using a teleprompter.

He can hit those high notes though!

Date: June 20, 2014 19:29

The above clip is just cringeworthy. I honestly believe Keith is just blind to how dull his sets to the general audience are. It's the only answer. It's a visceral thing. Forget the fact he's staring at these ppl bored shitless in front of him but when you're boring people instinct is supposed to kick in and alert you to it. Don't think it's ever been switched on in him.

I mean now we get this turd of a track and whatever other mess of a song he wants to deliver at the expense of us. We're left with only 17 real Stones songs because his wants his 15 mins every show.

Instead we could score SOM, RT, WH, ATGB, SFM, @#$%&, CYHMK, OHTTB, OOT, LIS, ONNYA and countless other great songs.

People come in the millions to watch the Stones fronted by Jagger. Not this.

Date: June 20, 2014 19:44

Nobody is bored shitless. For many CBS was a breath of fresh air after listening to a zillion Happys and BTMMRs.

Date: June 20, 2014 20:35

Nobody could possibly declare such a thing and expect that point to be taken at face value. Bored shitless is exactly what most people are and have been for decades during Keith sets. Aside from "Happy" he doesn't have a well known track to sing.
Nobody could sanely argue that the vast majority of the tens of millions that have seen them in the last 35 years would give a crap about seeing Keith do a song let alone two. Especially when those songs just steal time from a deep well of magnificent material that could be performed in their place.

I mean honestly, the general public outside of "Happy" don't know any of these songs Keith plays and I am sure they couldn't care less either. Who on Earth would ever suggest he had a good voice? Or looks natural doing it? So what is the point? For the general audience I mean? Where's the benefit for them? 600 bucks a ticket to have songs like this played at you that to date had been screwed at every performance according to reviews.

Date: June 20, 2014 21:02

BTMMR and YGTS are songs from albums that have sold millions. Hardly obscure numbers smiling smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 20, 2014 21:14

I've always loved Can't Be Seen and was really intrigued when Keith reintroduced it during this Euro-leg of the tour. It's a little to sad to note how he can no longer replicate the terrific guitar-line as he he did during the 1989-90 live renditions, but he's evidently pouring his heart and soul into every performance. Great stuff, I say.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 20, 2014 21:14

And BTMMR and YGTS are stone classics. Some of Keith's best songs. Especially YGTS. Stunningly beautiful and they do it well live. Even though I don't like Can't Be Seen, Keith is singing fantastic.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 20, 2014 21:18

Wow, I can't watch that stuff from the 90s...it kills the "thanks to the Stones no one is older than 20 years ago" magic of their current tour ;-)

Anyway, CBS, always liked that song, nice chord changes, bridge, melodic line. Miles better than "I Wanna Hold You" for sure. I seem to remember a critic said it sounded like Bowis when it came out, huh!

Can't say I wouldn't have preferred to hear "Little T&A" the other day though but it worked really well and was indeed a very welcome change from the Happy/BTMR combo. A better choice than "Slipping Away" in a stadium setting too, although having Taylor on stage a bit more would have been nothing to sneeze at.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 20, 2014 22:00

Mercy, Oz - are you looking for an award for off-base posts?

Yes Keith Richards can sing - that's why he's up there doing it. He also creates really interesting pieces of music -
this one isn't many people's favourite, plainly, but it's very cool that Keith has dusted it off for this tour.

It's a weird number indeed - we discussed it in more detail on another thread a few years ago,
and if memory serves some insightful stuff was said. Let me try to locate it ...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 21, 2014 02:23

Can't Be Seen is a fun piece of Keith decadence.

Date: June 21, 2014 05:45

hahaha ok mercy it shall be sssoul. I admit to being harsh and apologise if I come across a bleeding nag over it.

My point is just that Keith and Mick have written such a hugely wonderful catalogue of music that songs like CBS being worked into the set every single nite just boggles my mind.I think Keith having a song each side of a record since '86 has also been detrimental to very Stones cd since. This song being case in point. BTZ was the first Stones song I ever actively skipped of theirs. CBS was the second.

DP I get your point but disagree w it. BTMMR was an obscure song from an album that sold 10 odd mill worldwide - 36 years ago. And YGTS was an even more obscure album that sold half as much 45 years ago. They are the poster children for obscure songs in Stones cannon. But I do not wish to cross swords with you as have great respect for your opinions.

Whitem8 I agree with many of your posts and have done so for many years but BTMMR to me is musically barron with one throwaway line after another. I find the lyrical content laughable in that a rich rock star that chose to take heroin claims "gonna find my way to heaven cos I did my time in hell". A 6 year old child being treated with chemotherapy owns the rights to such self serving pity, not him. And YGTS I think is an awesome song when sung by Jagger. I so wish that version made the cut of LIB. Keith's singing (only by comparison) to my ears sounds limp.

"Can't be seen" should be retitled "Shouldn't be heard" smoking smiley

...IIIIII...I just can't eat beans with you....(I just can't eat no beeeeeeans...)....especially if they're baked!!!! Baby baby yeah....

Date: June 21, 2014 10:21

Don't worry, kyle smiling smiley All your arguments here are just as valid as mine smiling smiley

But the lyrics on BTMMR could also have worked as a wake up-call for Keith, not just self pity, imo.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home