Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Lamest Stones lyric
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 24, 2009 18:02

Glass Slide
I will however stick up for Rough Justice--I actually think thats a great tune

tune? could you hum a few bars, slider?

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 24, 2009 18:21

Ha!! No chance!! But thats not probative of anything Mr. T&A! lol.

I just listened to it before, I like its energy and I really
like Ronnies slide work on it--there are far worse tunes on that record...
Streets of Love...The Biggest Mistake of My Life (sounds like an outtake from
Goddess in the Doorway, lol)...Sweet Neo Con...This Place is Empty (Hasn't he basically written that song like 10 times now?)...

Everything in context...

Date: March 24, 2009 18:30

ok - i just luv to bash rj, for some reason. it's one of my gifts to the iorr community...

Date: March 24, 2009 18:36

Yeah, so I have noticed...lol

But you (smartly,lol) avoided the other tunes some of
which, I'm sorry are really not worthy of, as you might say,
the lads.

Date: March 24, 2009 18:37

Glass Slide

the lads.

i loathe most of the album, actually. many agree with me on this; most don't agree with me on the rj thing, so i will continue to hammer home my dissatisfaction with it until death do me part or something.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 24, 2009 19:43

Adrian-L
"One time you were my baby chicken
Now you've grown into a fox
Once upon a time I was your little rooster
But am I just one of your cocks"

... Rough Justice - embarassasing shite, from the Glimmer Twins.

I just love that verse. I can't help seeing it in the context that fans who loved the golden era and don't love the Stones of today, can go to hell. That's what those lyrics tell me and I frickin' love it. Great song too. I see some examples where people dislike an ENTIRE song because of one piece of bad lyric. Something like Sparks Will Fly and Sweet Neocon (OK Neocon might have bad lyrics throughout, but nobody is listening to the actual music it seems - That ain't half bad). If I say Sparks Will Fly, all people remembers is the line "Sharks will cry" and it ain't THAT bad. Nobody wants to hear Keith's uber-cool guitar on the track, or Ronnie's slide, or Charlie's wammin' bammin' drums or Mick's great voice and how it all blends together to become awe-striking like only the Stones can (And listen to Keith's guitar during the line "Better tell the firechief to quit playin' cards" (Through headphones preferably) and tell me that ain't awesome). BTW: I love the ay Mick and the backing singers are trading lines near the end on that song. Many Stones fans aren't fans of the music it seems. Weird. They should give it a listen. It's quite good...

What if Dylan made Blowin' In The Wind with these lyrics:
"The answer my friend FART
Is blowin' in the wind BOOBIES
The answer is blowin' in the wind BUTTCRACKS".
Would people suddenly stop listening to the great guitaring on that track?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 24, 2009 19:53

get a new set of pom-poms today, kent?

Date: March 24, 2009 19:57

T&A

I'm confused. Aren't you the girl in this conversation?
It's easy to flip me off as a yes-man. It's comfortable for you, but you know I'm right. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 24, 2009 20:00

JumpingKentFlash
T&A

It's easy to flip me off as a yes-man. It's comfortable for you, but you know I'm right. smiling smiley

i'm androgynous in this convo - i could do either way, actually. i'm not flipping anything - you just seem to have an extra bounce in your cheerleading today - hurray!

Date: March 24, 2009 20:09

T&A
JumpingKentFlash
T&A

i'm androgynous in this convo - i could do either way, actually. i'm not flipping anything - you just seem to have an extra bounce in your cheerleading today - hurray!

Hey what can I do? I've just blasted A Bigger Bang on the stereo and feel all my juices flowing. Actually I need a daiper....

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 24, 2009 20:10

TMI, but thanks for the update

Date: March 24, 2009 22:19

T&A

i loathe most of the album, actually. many agree with me on this; most don't agree with me on the rj thing, so i will continue to hammer home my dissatisfaction with it until death do me part or something.[/quote]

The funny thing about that record is that the best song from those
sessions imo (Under The Rader) didn't even make the cut. I wouold have
made it the first single, lol.

As to the lyrics---Sparks Will Fly is just a freakin embarassment, lyrically and even back in '94 I thought "You Got Me Rocking" was pretty dopey but Oh No Not You Again is certainly in the conversation.

You listen to those songs and you think about some of the really great Stones lyrics and it almost becomes hard to believe its the same guys.

Date: March 24, 2009 22:31

yeah...actually both radar and wanna go home are better than all but one (ssmc) cut that made the final cut...go figure...

Posted by: voodoodrew ()
Date: March 24, 2009 22:37

While I'm no fan of Mick's lazy lyrics of late (a few exceptions - Saint of Me comes to mind), I think yall are being a little too hard on "the moon is yellow, I'm like jello, staring down your tits."

That verse, "Everybody's talking, showing off their wits, the moon is yellow . . . " in my opinion paints a perfect picture for the listener. Who hasn't been at some social function (dismal dull affair?) where you sit around trying to make small talk and amuse people, yet all you can think about is the light bouncing off of some lady's chest exposed by a revealing dress? Mick conveys all of that in five short lines - and they rhyme. I don't mind it.

Compared to other stuff on that album at least - the cringeworthy awful bright / awful smart crap - it's brilliant.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 24, 2009 22:39

T&A
Glass Slide

the lads.

so i will continue to hammer home my dissatisfaction with it until death do me part or something.

That can be arranged.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: March 24, 2009 22:47

voodoodrew
Who hasn't been at some social function (dismal dull affair?) where you sit around trying to make small talk and amuse people, yet all you can think about is the light bouncing off of some lady's chest exposed by a revealing dress?

me...and millions of others, i'm sure....

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 24, 2009 23:44

Keys to your love has bad lyrics and it is a bad song, Just my immagination is not a stonessong, and its lyrics are embarassing.

Posted by: voodoodrew ()
Date: March 25, 2009 00:12

T&A
voodoodrew
Who hasn't been at some social function (dismal dull affair?) where you sit around trying to make small talk and amuse people, yet all you can think about is the light bouncing off of some lady's chest exposed by a revealing dress?

touche. you should try it sometime. if those lyrics didn't reference "jello," and didn't seem so gratuitous in the description of a breast, I still think nobody would think they were bad. It's a little too easy to claim them bad based on those words . . . they're actually quite descriptive.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 25, 2009 00:25

I'm very much with Jumping Kent Flash about RJ--
I think the lyrics are very funny.

A question--when the Stones produced some great lyrics, were those
usually a collaboration between say, Mick and Keith or was Mick
writing those on his own? I wonder if less time spent together
writing has diluted the lyrical content. Maybe so, huh?

Date: March 25, 2009 02:35

voodoodrew
T&A
voodoodrew

touche. you should try it sometime. if those lyrics didn't reference "jello," and didn't seem so gratuitous in the description of a breast, I still think nobody would think they were bad. It's a little too easy to claim them bad based on those words . . . they're actually quite descriptive.

Assuming he actually experienced that in a way that inspired/caused him to write about it...don't you think he could have gone for something, I don't know...a little more metaphorical?

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: March 25, 2009 03:37

Glass Slide
voodoodrew
T&A
voodoodrew

Assuming he actually experienced that in a way that inspired/caused him to write about it...don't you think he could have gone for something, I don't know...a little more metaphorical?

The lyrics for RJ seem fine till the third verse when "bat out of hell" and the like suggest Jagger just gave up by that time.

As for ONNYA, I presume Jagger started with "Get me off the rack" and worked his way back to a tits reference. From that perspective, the verse can be amusing. And I would have thought Gazza would have picked up on the Dylan reference. For Dylan, the sun's not yeller, it's chicken. For Jagger, the moon is yellow and he's the chicken. Even if it's lame, at least it's not "Come on in bare your breasts and make me feel at home."

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1848
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home