Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rod Stewart US tour
Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: March 18, 2009 15:15

Heard an add on the radio this morning in Houston for a Rod Stewart concert here in August. No mention of Faces, just Rod Stewart. The add referenced 'Rod Stewart.com' for more details, but I don't see anything past the July dates in Europe.

Re: OT: Rod Stewart US tour
Date: March 18, 2009 19:54

United States & Canada:

July
24: Woodlands, TX - Woodlands Pavilion
30: Denver, CO - Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
August
01: Las Vegas, NV - MGM Grand
04: San Jose, CA - HP Pavilion
05: Sacramento, CA - ARCO Arena
07: Auburn, WA - White River Amphitheatre
08: Vancouver, CA - General Motors Place
10: Edmonton, AB -- Rexall Place
14: Calgary, AB -- Pengrowth Saddledome
22: Pittsburgh, PA -- Post Gazette Pavilion

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 18, 2009 23:05

This guy won't even throw his old mates a favor by touring with them. What a dick! Without the boys in The Faces his solo albums would have been nowhere near as good as they were. He used those guys and threw them away. I wouldn't go see Stewart solo if someone gave me tickets. The vast majority of his catalogue since he left The Faces has been incredibly lame. I lost all respect for the guy long ago, but I remain a big fan of The Faces. Their music and that of the Small Faces remains timeless.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 19, 2009 06:29

My 84 year-old mom is now into Rod Stewart, after seeing him recently on PBS! I reminded how she disapproved of my "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" 45 (single) when I was 11!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 19, 2009 08:54

little queenie
I reminded how she disapproved of my "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" 45 (single) when I was 11!

I also disapproved of "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy"...Rod had turned into a total moron catering to the disco crowd.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 19, 2009 10:13

Yeah thats the perfect pee brak song at his gigs.
I handled all my sms's while he did that one.
Its really really awful:
the Stones have never reached that low level.

Re: OT: Rod Stewart US tour - no Faces
Date: March 19, 2009 15:42

By coincidence, a couple nights ago I was watching the BBC Crown Jewels recording of a Faces performance from around the time 'A Nod...' was released. What an incredible performance. Very little flamboyance or posing, no silly sing-alongs, just five guys having fun playing music.

Rod's singing is great and he performs within the band, not like he's above them. I can't believe what he turned into just a few years later. I've never had an interest in seeing him in concert.

Ronnie's playing is incredible, and the tone is fantastic - very similar to Keith's at the time. I'd love to show him this video and ask him what the hell happened??

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 19, 2009 16:58

Don't go if ya don't wanna, but you're missing a chance at a great, fun show with one of rock's best voices.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 19, 2009 17:13

Baboon Bro
Yeah thats the perfect pee brak song at his gigs.
I handled all my sms's while he did that one.
Its really really awful:
the Stones have never reached that low level.

they skipped that level and went below it with BTZ and SOL

Date: March 19, 2009 17:44

Witty as always, T & A; But I actually find the abovementioned Rod-tune
a worse low-watermark than even SOL. Okay; it might not be too distant
away as a low mark, but anyhow..

Crackinup; as Elmo says ya lose many good musical experiences
with that attitude. Have ya ever seen him solo live??

Date: March 19, 2009 19:03

I have never seen him in person, but I've seen video. I did like the unplugged broadcast he did with Ronnie 10-12 yts ago.

I guess my taste is different than others. Sure he has one of the greatest rock voices, I just don't like most of the songs being sung by that voice today. I didn't like them when I heard them on the radio, I didn't buy the CD's, and I don't want to pay to hear them sung live - 'Young Turks, 'Tonight's the Night', 'Rhythm of My Heart'- NO THANKS. Back in the day, I listened to Rod solo and Faces as much as I listened to anyone else, but I don't care for most of what he's released in the last 30+yrs

Date: March 19, 2009 19:57

Taste is one thing, aware ignorance another.
This nite I have not energy 'nuff to post
Till then ya gonna have to trust Elmo & me
that he usually puts up a splendid show.
And we are rock and roll folks, goddamit.

Date: March 19, 2009 20:26

You tell 'em Bro.

Date: March 19, 2009 20:44

Talk all you want while you enjoy your Great American Songbooks. Now, if there's a chance I'll hear Pool Hall Richard, I may be able to sit through Do Ya Think I'm Sexy without barfing.

When I go see the Stones, I'm willing to risk that I'll have to sit through Miss You or Streets of Love in hopes that I'll hear Midnight Rambler, Monkey Man, CYHMK, etc. With Rod, I don't see any upside to that trade-off.

Date: March 19, 2009 20:47

Don't go then.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 19, 2009 20:50

There are a couple of upsides to it, not many, but you DO get to hear some good early Rod songs, if not Faces tunes. Consider this recent setlist from Irvine, CA:

Main set: It’s a Heartache / Some Guys Have All the Luck / Forever Young / The First Cut Is the Deepest / Having a Party / You Wear It Well / Rhythm of My Heart / This Old Heart of Mine / Downtown Train / Tonight’s the Night / You’re in My Heart / The Motown Song / Have You Ever Seen the Rain / Love Shack (Rod not on stage; backup singers and keyboard player handle vocals) / Have I Told You Lately / Hot Legs / Young Turks / Maggie May

Encore: Da Ya Think I’m Sexy?

Yeah, it's only a few older Mercury Records Rod songs, but it's better than nothin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-19 20:50 by lettingitbleed.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 19, 2009 23:06

Rod Stewart was a force of nature back in the day, when I was a college student and campus DJ who played Gasoline Alley for the students late at night. I've always loved Rod's raspy voice and his songs and when I saw him about 8 years ago, he was great. He did his old catalog and a fabulous version of " Reason To Believe", one of my favorites. I never wanted to see him sing the old timers tunes! I hope he adds a few dates to that tour list, maybe coming to Boston or Albany, NY. I'd go in a heartbeat! ( Of course I was also a huge Faces fan, goes without saying).

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: March 19, 2009 23:11

All you pining for a Faces reunion - yep I'm one of 'em. Should go and see the Quireboys if they swing by your way (mostly Europe) absolutely cracking rock band with the same swagger and raspy vocals. brilliant stuff.

Either that or Diamond Dogs - another cracking band in the same tradition.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home