Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12
Re: Track Talk: Brown Sugar
Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: October 13, 2022 21:05

Mathijs
FP
exilestones
[www.prosoundweb.com]

In The Studio: Recording The Rolling Stones “Brown Sugar” Sessions
November 21, 2020

Bruce Borgerson
Reconstructing the night that produced a rock song for the ages...

full article

It's interesting how Jimmy Johnson talks about Richards and Taylor's amp micing and positioning. I love how Keith has to have his amp enclosed in a booth with the door shut! In the video I posted Jimmy talks about Keith's amp being on 10!

So we know from this that both Taylor and Richards played on the basic track. Keith with an SG and MT with a Strat, although as in several pics I have seen from the session Taylor is playing a Tele so I wonder if Jimmy simply confused the model and MT played his White Tele on BS? Either way SG and Tele (or any Fender) is an interesting sound mix. If Keith did remove most or all of MT's part perhaps he didn't like the tone he had, odd if so considering Keith's love affair with Teles!

Would be interested to know what guitar Keith used for his overdubs, inc the fills? I always assumed one part was a Gibson, confirmed by Johnson, maybe layered with a Les Paul and the other a Tele (played by Keith) for the twang?

He also mentions there being bleed between tracks. Based on Mathijs assertion there are many layers or edits of guitar I am frankly starting to think MT is on there, as the credits state, but as Nico says "almost inaudible". Possibly because he is mirroring Keith's part?

I don't think it is such an out there suggestion that MT was happy to double up parts on a basic track. I think as he time went on it became more of a lead/rhythm parts split between him and Keith. However he plays solid rhythm parts on B*tch & Can't Your Hear Me Knocking from Sticky Fingers.

There is also an interview on his old website, which I wish I could source, where he says he would often double riffs, he specifically mentions the riffs on Can't Your Hear Me Knocking saying he and Keith would play riffs together.

A lot depends on the studio console set up, as we know early Beatles tunes were recorded on 4 track and they would have to bounce down to overdub. But Jimmy Johnson specifically says he had an 8 track and that overdubs took place.

Quite often when I have recorded I would get the other guitarists to lay down a second part doubling up a riff, firstly it makes it sound considerably fatter and secondly the other players feel, even if playing the same riff, gives it a bit of movement and contrast.

Of course master players like Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend and Keith would do their own overdubbing using different guitars, amps, effects and tones to give a riff sparkle. The opening riff to Led Zeppelin's Black Dog is about 5 or so guitars layered. Having said that if you have another player you get them to double it while tracking, as you hear on other twin guitar bands like Thin Lizzy and Judas Priest.

I feel they jammed the basic track to get that monumental groove and then both MT and KR took several swings at lead solos and melodic ideas, including he arpeggio parts and Taylor's two solos heard on the mixes I put above. Johnson suggest it was actually just electric guitar overdubs at Muscle Shoals so seems the acoustic part was added at Olympic along with the sax, which is when Taylor's solos must have been removed. I suspect they would have kept them until Keys blew the house down in his take and they made the right choice!

It should be noted MT has mentioned in several interviews that Brown Sugar is one of his favourite Stones tunes, whether he is on it or not!

Taylor's original guitar part is the alternate picked sus chords, with a high pitched trebly tone. It sure does sound like a Telecaster. Taylor would play this part often on the 1972 tour. This part was completely removed from the released version, where Keith added Berry style boogie rhythm, and a second open G guitar with embellishments, acoustic guitar and the guitar playing the main riff going into the chorus. The overdubs by Richards clash with Taylor's part in places and most likely the reason why it was removed.

Richard's main guitar used could be anything basically. A black SG didn't exist in the 1960's but Richards could have used Taylor's SG. If they used their own stuff Richard's could have used his Ampeg Dan Armstrong or LP Custom as these were ready for open G. The amps were rented, and so could the guitars. The pictures of Taylor's Tele show a Tele I have never seen elsewhere with the Stones. To me, the Dan Armstrong is the most likely contender due to its raspy sound.

Also for the overdubs, Richards really seemed to favor the Dan Armstrong over anything else in 1969 - 1972, and the sound of the overdubbed guitars is very reminiscent of that guitar to me.

Mathijs

I agree, Mathijs. Comparing the studio version of “Brown Sugar” with the live one from Altamont is telling. That’s the one live version I’ve ever heard where Keith came closest to nailing his tone from the studio version. And Keith played his backup (early production version) of the DA at that show for “Brown Sugar.”

So yes, my guess is that Keith’s main guitar on “Brown Sugar” is the Dan Armstrong (or, more likely, the Dan Armstrong prototype), with the black 1958 Les Paul Custom and Mick Taylor’s 1963/64 SG Standard used for overdubs.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 14, 2022 15:28

FP
TravelinMan
FP
exilestones
[www.prosoundweb.com]

In The Studio: Recording The Rolling Stones “Brown Sugar” Sessions
November 21, 2020

Bruce Borgerson
Reconstructing the night that produced a rock song for the ages...

full article

It's interesting how Jimmy Johnson talks about Richards and Taylor's amp micing and positioning. I love how Keith has to have his amp enclosed in a booth with the door shut! In the video I posted Jimmy talks about Keith's amp being on 10!

So we know from this that both Taylor and Richards played on the basic track. Keith with an SG and MT with a Strat, although as in several pics I have seen from the session Taylor is playing a Tele so I wonder if Jimmy simply confused the model and MT played his White Tele on BS? Either way SG and Tele (or any Fender) is an interesting sound mix. If Keith did remove most or all of MT's part perhaps he didn't like the tone he had, odd if so considering Keith's love affair with Teles!

Would be interested to know what guitar Keith used for his overdubs, inc the fills? I always assumed one part was a Gibson, confirmed by Johnson, maybe layered with a Les Paul and the other a Tele (played by Keith) for the twang?

He also mentions there being bleed between tracks. Based on Mathijs assertion there are many layers or edits of guitar I am frankly starting to think MT is on there, as the credits state, but as Nico says "almost inaudible". Possibly because he is mirroring Keith's part?

I don't think it is such an out there suggestion that MT was happy to double up parts on a basic track. I think as he time went on it became more of a lead/rhythm parts split between him and Keith. However he plays solid rhythm parts on B*tch & Can't Your Hear Me Knocking from Sticky Fingers.

There is also an interview on his old website, which I wish I could source, where he says he would often double riffs, he specifically mentions the riffs on Can't Your Hear Me Knocking saying he and Keith would play riffs together.

A lot depends on the studio console set up, as we know early Beatles tunes were recorded on 4 track and they would have to bounce down to overdub. But Jimmy Johnson specifically says he had an 8 track and that overdubs took place.

Quite often when I have recorded I would get the other guitarists to lay down a second part doubling up a riff, firstly it makes it sound considerably fatter and secondly the other players feel, even if playing the same riff, gives it a bit of movement and contrast.

Of course master players like Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend and Keith would do their own overdubbing using different guitars, amps, effects and tones to give a riff sparkle. The opening riff to Led Zeppelin's Black Dog is about 5 or so guitars layered. Having said that if you have another player you get them to double it while tracking, as you hear on other twin guitar bands like Thin Lizzy and Judas Priest.

I feel they jammed the basic track to get that monumental groove and then both MT and KR took several swings at lead solos and melodic ideas, including he arpeggio parts and Taylor's two solos heard on the mixes I put above. Johnson suggest it was actually just electric guitar overdubs at Muscle Shoals so seems the acoustic part was added at Olympic along with the sax, which is when Taylor's solos must have been removed. I suspect they would have kept them until Keys blew the house down in his take and they made the right choice!

It should be noted MT has mentioned in several interviews that Brown Sugar is one of his favourite Stones tunes, whether he is on it or not!

Try using this: web.archive.org and searching micktaylor.net

I can't remember if the Gimme Shelter doc version is the one from Hot Rocks accidental inclusion.

Because you have that version with the obvious Richards solo

The arpeggio version with the Taylor solo

Final version with B. Keys solo

What am I missing?

Hey mate!
Cool I will check it out.

Along with those versions there was a version listed as Take 1 that has two rhythm guitars, Keith licks and then some buried solos over the outro and the one from Alternate Takes & Demos [1968/1969] album with different Keith guitar 2 rhythm part over intro riff.

Also not sure if the backing for the Top Of The Pops show was a rerecording or just the backing track of the single?

Oh and finally the Clapton version! Apparently EC plays the slide, not sure who plays the guitar solo though? Has a similar tone and feel to Taylor's removed solo on previous mix so possibly him?

video: [www.youtube.com]

Also maybe wrong but wasn't the single mixed differently to the album version?

So we’ve got different overdub versions and different mixes.

Regarding parts: anybody could have played the Berry rhythm.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 14, 2022 15:34

stevecardi

I agree, Mathijs. Comparing the studio version of “Brown Sugar” with the live one from Altamont is telling. That’s the one live version I’ve ever heard where Keith came closest to nailing his tone from the studio version. And Keith played his backup (early production version) of the DA at that show for “Brown Sugar.”

So yes, my guess is that Keith’s main guitar on “Brown Sugar” is the Dan Armstrong (or, more likely, the Dan Armstrong prototype), with the black 1958 Les Paul Custom and Mick Taylor’s 1963/64 SG Standard used for overdubs.

I am not sure if I agree. For the 1969 tour as far as I am aware he did not have a backup for the prototype DA. OR, he had one but I never seen any picture of 2 DA's on the 1969 tour.

Also, I think the sound of Keith on Altamont BS is much closer to for example JJF from Ya-Ya's, which is really distorted and heavy. He used the LP Custom for all open G tracks on the 1969 tour, he started using a DA for open G on the 1970 tour.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-15 15:41 by Mathijs.

Date: October 14, 2022 15:35

TravelinMan

Sure, but nobody plays it like Keith. This is 100% Keith.

Mathijs

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: October 14, 2022 23:30

Mathijs
stevecardi

Mathijs

I am not sure if I agree. For the 1969 tour as far as I am aware he did not have a backup for the prototype DA. OR, he had one but I never seen any picture of 2 DA's on the 1969 tour.

Also, I think the sound of Keith on Altamont BS is much closer to for example JJF from Ya-Ya's, which is really distorted and heavy. He used the LP Custom for all open G tracks on the 1969 tour, he started using a DA for open G on the 1970 tour.

Mathijs[/quote]

I’ll try to find some pics. I’m 99% sure that Keith had a second Dan Armstrong on the 1969 tour. One from the original batch.

As for the Altamont version, you may be right about the Les Paul Custom (I did note I believe that the black 1958 Custom is one of the guitars on the record) but also compare the live versions from 1970 and 1971 when Keith is playing “Brown Sugar” on the DA. AFAIC it sounds the closest to the tone of the studio version that he ever came too.

Date: October 15, 2022 09:39

Mathijs
TravelinMan

Mathijs

It sounds like a pretty basic Berry rhythm lower in the mix than the other electric. Nothing profound, nothing unique.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 15, 2022 12:22

One of my wife’s closest friends is a music teacher, she plays in a couple of local bands and supplements her income giving lessons at her studio.

We stopped in to visit one day and she was sitting with a young hotshot guitar player.he seemed pretty good and I asked him “ do you play any Stones “
“ I know all that old shit it’s easy”

I was looking at the floor but I could feel my wife’s eyes and her friends looking at me. It was as if the saloon door had been kicked open and we were on a dusty street in an old west town.

What Lem was thinking- ok punk
What Lem said- yeah that’s true, gimme Start me up- perfect
now gimme Jumping Jack Flash-perfect
Now gimme your best riff- well uh I’ve been working on this but I’m well kraang blaaah. And well.,.but Um …

Wifey laughed when we got in the car,” that was mean”She told me later her friend said it was the best lesson of the month.

The great ones make it look easy.

Date: October 15, 2022 15:46

TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan

Mathijs

It sounds like a pretty basic Berry rhythm lower in the mix than the other electric. Nothing profound, nothing unique.

Listen again. The timing and phrasing of the Berry boogie rhythm is fantastic -it gives the push and pull to the song, it what makes it swing. The open G guitar is dominant, and straightforward, while the Berry rhythm adds air to it. This rhythm is what gives the track its unique swing feel, it's what you make do the rooster. And that's typical for Keith -a million people play better guitar than him, but nobody can make it swing and roll so hard.

Mathijs

Posted by: FP ()
Date: October 15, 2022 16:05

Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Listen again. The timing and phrasing of the Berry boogie rhythm is fantastic -it gives the push and pull to the song, it what makes it swing. The open G guitar is dominant, and straightforward, while the Berry rhythm adds air to it. This rhythm is what gives the track its unique swing feel, it's what you make do the rooster. And that's typical for Keith -a million people play better guitar than him, but nobody can make it swing and roll so hard.

Mathijs

"it's what you make do the rooster"...Love this!

Posted by: FP ()
Date: October 15, 2022 16:11

Brown Sugar at Altamont. Interestingly I think Keith plays the lead solo while MT sticks to some straight forward rhythm with arpeggios over the intro. His tone is much more muted while Keith's is dominant. Interesting to compare to the Marquee version where MT plays pretty much lead riffs through out.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: October 15, 2022 16:40

Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Mathijs

I’ll put it on the stereo later.

But, let’s not forget. You and others were skeptical at one point about the rhythm guitar on Bitch saying it’s too crunchy to be Taylor, the rhythm is unique etc. BUT then the extended take came out and it was blatantly obvious it was Taylor because by the time they got to the end of the song that would be faded out he was throwing in extended runs and licks.

This backs up two points I have always felt people—specifically on this site—overlook. 1) Taylor could and would play basic parts in the studio when it was called for 2) Taylor played great rhythm guitar when called for, that even the most listened ear can mistake for Richards.

Now whether his parts on Brown Sugar made it to the album mix is irrelevant. He’s listed in the credits and it’s obvious he worked on the song with the band. Plus, he was the one that requested it to be played at Altamont, giving us that rare early version.

Side note, I believe Richards replaced Taylor’s Berry rhythms on Ya Ya’s because the guitar didn’t have the crunch he was looking for. Taylor rolled back his volume knob when playing rhythm live, causing the amp distortion to back off yielding a cleaner tone.

Date: October 15, 2022 17:16

Btw, guitar players:

Do you play Berry rhythms with strictly down strokes or do you alternate up and down strokes. Interesting results the second way, which isn’t usually the way “taught”.

Date: October 15, 2022 17:29

Alternate, of course smiling smiley

Date: October 15, 2022 17:54

TravelinMan

But, let’s not forget. You and others were skeptical at one point about the rhythm guitar on Bitch saying it’s too crunchy to be Taylor, the rhythm is unique etc. BUT then the extended take came out and it was blatantly obvious it was Taylor because by the time they got to the end of the song that would be faded out he was throwing in extended runs and licks.

This backs up two points I have always felt people—specifically on this site—overlook. 1) Taylor could and would play basic parts in the studio when it was called for 2) Taylor played great rhythm guitar when called for, that even the most listened ear can mistake for Richards.

Now whether his parts on Brown Sugar made it to the album mix is irrelevant. He’s listed in the credits and it’s obvious he worked on the song with the band. Plus, he was the one that requested it to be played at Altamont, giving us that rare early version.

Side note, I believe Richards replaced Taylor’s Berry rhythms on Ya Ya’s because the guitar didn’t have the crunch he was looking for. Taylor rolled back his volume knob when playing rhythm live, causing the amp distortion to back off yielding a cleaner tone.

Actually I am still skeptical about Taylor on Bitch..I will not dispute that it is him, but is SO unlike anything Taylor has ever done or sounded before or after that it still bogles me.

About Taylor's sound on Ya Ya's -it's easy to fatten up a sound, or make it more distorted in post-production. You simply run the compressor/limiter harder, or you route the signal back to a small amp and re-record it.

It is my understanding that this is one (of the many) reasons the Brussels Affair boot sounds so good -they made both guitars sound more 'modern' by adding compression and gain in post production. At least to me it would explain why the guitars on the boot so sound much different than the often murky guitar sound of other 1973 boots.

Mathijs

Date: October 15, 2022 18:45

Mathijs
TravelinMan

Actually I am still skeptical about Taylor on Bitch..I will not dispute that it is him, but is SO unlike anything Taylor has ever done or sounded before or after that it still bogles me.

About Taylor's sound on Ya Ya's -it's easy to fatten up a sound, or make it more distorted in post-production. You simply run the compressor/limiter harder, or you route the signal back to a small amp and re-record it.

It is my understanding that this is one (of the many) reasons the Brussels Affair boot sounds so good -they made both guitars sound more 'modern' by adding compression and gain in post production. At least to me it would explain why the guitars on the boot so sound much different than the often murky guitar sound of other 1973 boots.

Mathijs

I think it just goes to show that he was very capable of playing like that if he wanted to, which maybe wasn’t often. Also, perhaps he picked up a guitar that Jagger was playing and laid it down, making way for Richards to play the excellent lead parts. Jagger had a very crunchy tone on Sway and Stop Breaking Down etc

YaYa’s: we’re talking 1969 and I’ve never heard of re-amping in 1969/70, but yeah it’s possible for sure. Compressing/limiting isn’t going to change the tone as drastically as just overdubbing a new part, IMO. I mean Richards guitar is crunnnchy.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: October 16, 2022 19:17

TravelinMan
Btw, guitar players:

Do you play Berry rhythms with strictly down strokes or do you alternate up and down strokes. Interesting results the second way, which isn’t usually the way “taught”.

For me it depends on the speed of the song. I mostly just play it in downstrokes. For example Carol or star star. On the bridge of I saw her standing there I alternate.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 16, 2022 21:29

Could they make the guitars on L&G , and some of the 1973bootlegssound better ? Even the GHS remix by Giles Martin is very disappointing. The guitars on Heartbreaker , Silver Train and especially Star Star don’t sound any improved

Posted by: JakeA ()
Date: October 17, 2022 09:56

I found instrumental version where you can hear quite well how the guitars are
played. Most of people listen just Keith`s main guitar ,but other side of mix is really a hidden pearl. 0:30-0:41 you can hear whats really happening there.
Keith´s overdub and boogie guitar are really well done, and how good they fit together. I don´t mind who plays boogie guitar but it sounds more like Taylor to me. Keith has more attack ,and his sound is sharp. Boogie guitar is played smoother and whith a thicker sound.

Another intresting case is acoustic guitar. I read that guitar has Nashville strings. Maybe same guitar that Taylor played on Wild Horses?

Brown sugar instrumental:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 17, 2022 13:22

Mathijs

.. And that's typical for Keith- a million people play better guitar than him , but nobody can make it swing and roll so hard.

Mathijs

thumbs up and so many folks, still just don't get that

Date: October 17, 2022 13:37

JakeA
I found instrumental version where you can hear quite well how the guitars are
played. Most of people listen just Keith`s main guitar ,but other side of mix is really a hidden pearl. 0:30-0:41 you can hear whats really happening there.
Keith´s overdub and boogie guitar are really well done, and how good they fit together. I don´t mind who plays boogie guitar but it sounds more like Taylor to me. Keith has more attack ,and his sound is sharp. Boogie guitar is played smoother and whith a thicker sound.

Another intresting case is acoustic guitar. I read that guitar has Nashville strings. Maybe same guitar that Taylor played on Wild Horses?

Brown sugar instrumental:

[www.youtube.com]

The overdubbed guitar track is in open G as well. It alternates between rhythm and licks, and it is obvious to me that Keith plays it. The ending alone should be "evidence" enough smiling smiley

Date: October 18, 2022 18:14

I listened to the instrumental and don't hear anything Taylor-esque about the parts. Maybe he played the acoustic lol. We know how the Stones love to put the acoustic in Taylor's hands: see the live rendition of Satisfaction from 2013!

Date: October 18, 2022 18:16

Some people might not agree with me, but on I'm Going Down it sounds like Taylor trying to play like Richards. It's got a Broken Hands vibe IMO.

Date: October 18, 2022 18:31

How is Taylor's rhythm guitaron Live With Me and on Star Star any different than all the guitars on Brown Sugar. And the great solo on the outro to Star Star which is buried in thecrappy mix for which Giles Martin did nothing to improve sounds like Keith or Taylor. How many people who were around in 1968 when Beggar's Banquet came out thought the slide guitars on Jigsaw Puzzle and Salt of the Earth must be Brian because Keith had never played slide before and Brian had been the slide guitarist in the band were suprised to find out later it was all Keithand Brian only played guitar on No Expectations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-18 18:33 by Taylor1.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 18, 2022 19:02

Anyone a fan of Dylan's cover of BS that he was doing early in the century? I enjoyed it at the time. It does make me sad that we'll probably never hear the Stones do it live again.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 18, 2022 19:10

crholmstrom
Anyone a fan of Dylan's cover of BS that he was doing early in the century? I enjoyed it at the time. It does make me sad that we'll probably never hear the Stones do it live again.

Not bad. Pretty true to the original. Would've been cool if he remade it in his own style (like Devo covering Satisfaction).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 18, 2022 21:07

NashvilleBlues
crholmstrom

Not bad. Pretty true to the original. Would've been cool if he remade it in his own style (like Devo covering Satisfaction).

Well, I think he remade it by pretty much in his own style if we listen his vocals... Pure Dylan interpretation by recomposing the melody and having his own sense of timing.. (But yeah, the band plays it pretty much according to the original).

- Doxa

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 18, 2022 21:14

Doxa
NashvilleBlues
crholmstrom

Well, I think he remade it by pretty much in his own style if we listen his vocals... Pure Dylan interpretation by recomposing the melody and having his own sense of timing.. (But yeah, the band plays it pretty much according to the original).

- Doxa

For sure. I didn't mention that because who expects Robert Zimmerman to sing like Mick?

Date: October 19, 2022 00:04

Taylor1
How is Taylor's rhythm guitaron Live With Me and on Star Star any different than all the guitars on Brown Sugar. And the great solo on the outro to Star Star which is buried in thecrappy mix for which Giles Martin did nothing to improve sounds like Keith or Taylor. How many people who were around in 1968 when Beggar's Banquet came out thought the slide guitars on Jigsaw Puzzle and Salt of the Earth must be Brian because Keith had never played slide before and Brian had been the slide guitarist in the band were suprised to find out later it was all Keithand Brian only played guitar on No Expectations.

Star Star is weird. I don't really know who is playing what there and have gone back and forth. Live With Me I can pick out easily.

Date: October 23, 2022 15:31

Did they bury Taylor’s solo at the end of Star Star so you can barely hear it rather than just wipe it like they did on Brown Sugar

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: October 23, 2022 16:58

I love these Track Talk threads.

Especially this song as summer of 71 at 16 was the best ever.

Wore this album out at my first Apt on the beach at $90 a month.

Thanks OP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-23 17:57 by chevysales.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 10 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2006
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home