Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: 2009 - The Beginning of the End of PLASMA SCREENS !!!
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 24, 2009 03:45

Who knew but in a few more years Plasma Screens will be a thing of the past. LCD Screens will be the sole winner for very thin wall hanging flat screens.... I'm kinda shocked and very surprised, always thought both were here to stay. Your thoughts....

[newteevee.com]

Re: OT: 2009 - The Beginning of the End of PLASMA SCREENS !!!
Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: February 24, 2009 03:49

It ain't over 'til the flat lady sings...........

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 24, 2009 03:51

I used to sell my plasma during my younger years.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 24, 2009 04:57

I have a LCD TV. Sony Bravia to be exact. LCD always looked better than plasma to me.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 24, 2009 05:26

LCD is a lot more energy efficient than Plasma

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 24, 2009 08:37

Doctor Dear!
It ain't over 'til the flat lady sings...........

very clever doc!

p

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: February 24, 2009 12:17

I bought a Sony Bravia LCD instead of a plasma as well.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 24, 2009 13:25

The replacement for LCD's has already been demo'ed. There are prototype TV sets that are wafer-thin and other models that use lasers to form the image. Within a few years, you'll start to see the hype, trying to persuade you that there is something wrong with your LCD set. This sh!t never ends.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 24, 2009 13:29

Father Ted
Within a few years, you'll start to see the hype, trying to persuade you that there is something wrong with your LCD set. This sh!t never ends.

Ain't 21st century marketing wonderful? grinning smiley

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: February 24, 2009 13:43

I don't have a TV-set

and it's great....

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 24, 2009 14:14

We're on the verge of March Madness. And with many teams "sittin on a fence (Stones)" this makes for some great college basketball. I think a tv set preferably a Samsung LCD is the answer.

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: February 24, 2009 14:38

I have both and I must say: The plasma screen is much better with quick moves and deep black colour. I always wondered how a light (LCD) can produce black. It can´t really.

Date: February 24, 2009 15:10

stonethobo

Maybe it's the Samsung brand. Anyhow, the LCD picture seems crisper.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 24, 2009 16:24

Steven
I bought a Sony Bravia LCD instead of a plasma as well.

Same here.

Date: February 24, 2009 16:31

Steven and kovach

I'm actually in the market for a new LCD TV, maybe 32" or more. What is he biggest bang for the buck? I'm leery of purchasing a Sony because at first glance the Samsung models seem sharper. Sony's track record can not be denied, however, this a new era of tvs.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: February 24, 2009 16:38

I predicted this. I have a Bravia as well and it´s great. I can´t think of a better TV to watch Champions League tonight.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 24, 2009 17:46

i WANT MY OLD wooden Console back they were the best!!!ha...
AH THE GOOD OLDE DAYS!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 24, 2009 18:06

Chris Fountain
Steven and kovach

I'm actually in the market for a new LCD TV, maybe 32" or more. What is he biggest bang for the buck? I'm leery of purchasing a Sony because at first glance the Samsung models seem sharper. Sony's track record can not be denied, however, this a new era of tvs.

If you buy a Samsung (Prolly the best on the market IMO) with full HD and a big screen, then you can't go wrong. The reason I took a Sony Bravia was that it was cheap (January sale 2008) and it as 46". Shine A Light looks amazing and so does GTA4. smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 24, 2009 18:28

Father Ted
The replacement for LCD's has already been demo'ed. There are prototype TV sets that are wafer-thin and other models that use lasers to form the image. Within a few years, you'll start to see the hype, trying to persuade you that there is something wrong with your LCD set. This sh!t never ends.

It does for me. I have a TV set that was made before anyone ever heard of plasma or LCD and it works great. Perhaps I'm missing out on seeing every pore in every actor's face, but I don't feel like I'm missing much. I'll use my current set until it doesn't work anymore and then buy whatever is new that day.

Date: February 24, 2009 18:53

It's universally accepted that the best Plasma TV's are better than the best LCD TV's (among professional reviewers & home theater experts).Here are some professional ratings : [reviews.cnet.com]

The best TV on the market to date is the Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD which is a Plasma. [reviews.cnet.com] It's the 60 inch version of the 50 inch PRO-111FD.

Last year's TH-PZ800U Panasonic Plasmas were given the same score as the highest quality Sony LCD - the KDL-55XBR8 . That particular Sony LCD costs nearly three times as much as the high quality Panasonics.If you were to go with a lower end,non-XBR series Sony LCD,you would be losing picture quality.The high-end Panasonic Plasmas have the best picture quality (besides Pioneer and tied with only the best,most expensive Sony LCD) @ the best price.This is why the Panasonic TH-PZ800U Plasma was given their editor's choice award.

The only two advantages that LCD TV's have over Plasma TV's in picture quality are the picture in bright,highly lighted rooms (the setting in most stores) and the fact that plasma sets don't function to their full capability at extremely high elevations above sea level (in the mountains for example).Not involving the picture quality,there are two others : the lower cost for companies to produce LCD's would be one and power consumption would be the other.

It's unfortunate that Pioneer did not sell enough of those Plasma TV's.Now,because not enough people will pay extra for top quality,the Pioneer TV's will no longer be an option for anyone.It's a similar deal (in a way) to the success of lossy MP3's versus Super Audio CD's or even music in the WAV or FLAC formats.Not enough people care about quality.

Here's a quote from the artice linked from the first post in this thread :
" The legacy of the Kuro TV will be that it was another best-in-class technology that was humbled by the force of the economy and the competitive market. "

It's just speculation that Panasonic Plasmas won't be on the market in a few years and that the LCD's will catch up in quality,especially in typical low-lighting home theater settings.I don't think that the Plasmas will really be discontinued until other TV technologies such as OLED and/or SED catch on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-06 16:01 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 24, 2009 22:52

Do we really have to discuss hardware i.e. plasma screens on IORR? I mean is this for real? Personally I don't care about tools at all. It's just a way of getting rid of extra money between tours. Wrong priority.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 24, 2009 23:01

Well if there are computers with plasma screens??

Date: February 24, 2009 23:06

Winning Ugly,

"It's just speculation that Panasonic Plasmas won't be on the market in a few years and that the LCD's will catch up in quality,especially in typical low-lighting home theater settings.I don't think that the Plasmas will really be discontinued until other TV technologies such as OLED and/or SED catch on."

I'm not familiar with the OLED or SED technologies, so if I went to Walmart and purchased a 32-36" LCD Visio, would I be sacrificing any HD picture quality? The reason I ask is because watching college b-ball games or concerts from different arenas present contrast problems.

Please advise. Also, the Rolling Stones should be watched in high picture quality!!

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 24, 2009 23:25

Sorry Bjornulf, i just posted this subject/topic to let my IORR friends know that Plasma Screens are on their way out and best to not buy one anymore - we had a thread like this about Blu-Ray VS HD DVD formats about 6 to 9 months ago. I was frankly shocked because I thought Plasma was in very good health and here to stay. I personally get alot of good info from time to time on IORR when it comes to computers and Home theater - things like that. Anyway, my apologies once again and I do have the BILL GERMAN book coming later today from Amazon so will have a solid Stones topic to talk about as soon as I read it (which should be fast since I'm a big BILL GERMAN fan and was really into his BEGGAR'S BANQUET News letters back in the day). Sincerely, Helter

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 24, 2009 23:28

HelterSkelter
will have a solid Stones topic to talk about as soon as I read it (which should be fast since I'm a big BILL GERMAN fan and was really into his BEGGAR'S BANQUET News letters back in the day). Sincerely, Helter

your band

Date: February 24, 2009 23:39

HelterSkelter,

Don't beat your self up over this. The Stones cross many medias and for the fan base to enjoy the most why not take advantage of expertise?

Although some topics discussed in this forum don't say "Jagger" or "Richards" directly, it is still interrelated. For example, I like the posts concerning all the different venues in the world. All stadiums and arenas are unique in a way. These stories are aspiring.

And if I have to defend myself over some apparatus to see the Stones or anyone else more clearly then so be it.

A more imformative Stones fan is a better Stones fan.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 25, 2009 00:03

Chris Fountain
Steven and kovach

Pretty good review here: [www.consumersearch.com]

Date: February 25, 2009 00:11

Kovach

Thanks for link.

This unit sells for 650.00 Is the resolution comment true? and if so why not a Vizio with larger screen size??

If you need a smaller TV, reports say the Samsung LN32A450 is a standout in its 32-inch screen size. Picture quality is said to be great out of the box, but a huge number of picture adjustments lets you tweak the picture… to your liking. An adjustable backlight makes it easy to get the right brightness level for both well-lit and darkened viewing situations. The resolution of this TV is just 720p, but experts say that the benefits of higher 1080p resolution are lost in a screen of this size. Other sizes are available, ranging from 19 to 40 inches.

It's important that the Stones are watched with optimum clarity

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: February 25, 2009 00:33

bv
It's just a way of getting rid of extra money between tours. Wrong priority.

I´ve stopped shoving my money down the Stones´ throats ages and ages ago so discussing alternative ways of spending cash is perfectly fine with me.

I highly appreciate and support the etiquette and quality control on this board (take a look at Rocks Off if you want to see a message board out of control and poorly moderated) but this thread is an appropriate and fruitful OT discussion and I really don´t see the point of your post.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-25 00:35 by Tornandfrayed.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 25, 2009 02:10

The size and type of lighting in your room makes a difference...
My living room is medium-sized, white walls, wood finishing, a large sliding door to the deck and a basy window on the other wall. A 37" LCD (1080p) was the logical choice for me. Perfect size, too. Not too big, it's sides flush with the hadncrafted wooden cabinet that it rests on.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1284
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home