Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Still Life (Amerian Concert 1981)
Date: February 19, 2009 14:53

This one has always confused me.It was one of the first Stones CDs I bought and I was really impressed.It's got an interesting track selection and to this day contains many tracks unavailable on the other live albums.

So whilst it sounds great I have always een disappointed when I saw footage of the 81 tour.It just looks like crap. Is this mainly because of Jagers awful sportswear?

Re: Still Life (Amerian Concert 1981)
Date: February 19, 2009 15:00

Hampton 1981 - crap???

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 19, 2009 15:12

Hampton 81 rules! I wrote it many times before (the last time about 2 minutes ago in the Love You Live thread :-)

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 19, 2009 15:28

The performances on Still Life are fine: the problem is that there are only 10 songs. They should've added a few more at least added the Beat Of Burden b-side.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: February 19, 2009 15:57

big al...no more space in those days for more songs...smiling smiley

i like more the phillyshows....

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: February 19, 2009 16:05

> It just looks like crap. Is this mainly because of Jagers awful sportswear?

just listen to the music, you don't have to stare at his ass ;-)
by the was, was it Mick who said that trying to be current makes things age much worse than the other way? ^^

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 19, 2009 16:19

The whole tour rules!

C

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 19, 2009 16:20

1981 was a GREAT TOUR...
The big big problem with Sill Life is that it should have been on 2 lp's..We all wanted more.
I think it was a much better album than Love you live....or it would have been nice to have a 2 lp's Still live with the 1st lp for the 1978 tour and the 2nd lp for the 81 tour! That would cover 2 great and wild tours...Wow we can dream?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 19, 2009 16:36

Hopefully Universal will make it a better album. If they put Beast Of Burden on it they will ruin it. There are better songs from the tour they could use.

Date: February 19, 2009 16:51

Just put on Beast Of Burden from an other show smiling smiley I agree, the B-side version is kinda lame.

Date: February 19, 2009 16:52

Ha ha, there is no 'kinda' about it, it IS.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 19, 2009 17:58

IMO the song order is correct for this album even if doesn't reflect actual '81 concert set lists. It flows nicely. What two songs need to be added (or removed) and in what position?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 19, 2009 18:02

completely superflous album, given the plethora of fab live recordings from this great tour.

Date: February 19, 2009 18:03

From the various boots I have, I'd love to hear Hang Fire (without the stupid honking sick birded horns in it) and Let It Bleed actually. Maybe When The Whip Comes Down and...I can't remember but there are some others that were pretty damn good. Keith's Little T&A - way the hell better than the one on Shine A Turd.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 19, 2009 18:06

black limo, neighbours, waiting on a friend, the unabridged imagination, she's so cold.....

Date: February 19, 2009 18:12

If there are any least favorite songs on Still Life it would be Let Me Go and Satisfaction. Let me Go doesn't have the same guitar punch as the studio version and Satisfaction is played too fast with shaky vocals. Maybe they changed the speed
for album. However, maybe I wouldn't remove these songs because this CD as whole has been great fun.

I would include When the Whip Comes Down and Hang Fire. Not sure at this point where to insert the songs.

Date: February 19, 2009 18:14

Ah, yeah, what ones to remove. Satisfaction. In fact, it should not be on any live album ha ha. I never cared for this version of Shattered but I actually like it, it's just not very good.

Date: February 19, 2009 18:21

I agree. One problem with Shattered is that Jagger says Look at Me!! way too many times. Maybe it was that particular show. I think the VL tour Shattered is superior. IMO , and a lot of groups do this - is they speed up songs in concert, which compromises the integrity or feel of the song.

Date: February 19, 2009 18:23

The Voodoo Shattered IS the best ever - even better than the LP version. It's just got more of a groove to it, has some swagger. It's excellent.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: February 19, 2009 18:24

I've always enjoyed this album but I agree that it should've been a double.

I also love the Beast of Burden B-side!

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: February 19, 2009 19:14

Going to a Go Go is great, but IMO this album barely treads water above 'Live Licks'... terrible.

Date: February 19, 2009 19:39

LSTT

IMO, Live Licks and Still Life are two very different albums with contrasting approaches. However, Still Life is great music to listen to when venturing a new love/date. It's definitely a great primer while driving to meet a date. Of course I'm married now, but 4 or 5 years ago this album came in handy while driving around S. Florida in search of..........

I recommend Still Life to anyone starting a new relationship. Especially en route.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 19, 2009 20:37

I loved this album as a kid! I prefer Let Me Go to the original. I love Start Me Up & Satisfaction from it. For my friends & I, this was the definitive iconic version of the band (keep in mind, all we had to go by was 'Video Rewind' and 'Let's Spend the Night Together'. the archived footage found on Rewind was SO mysterious to us! LOL!)

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 19, 2009 20:38

I really like that particular rendition of Shattered. Upon hearing, I had yet to hear the studio-take and I have to admitt, I prefered the Still Life version for a good while.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: February 19, 2009 20:40

Contains a bunch of covers which I'm sure they weren't thinking about the publishing money:

Just My Imagination
Time Is On My Side
Twenty Flight Rock
Going To A Go Go
Star Spangled Banner (Trad Arrangment Jimi Hendrix)

PECMAN

Date: February 19, 2009 20:42

Good God! Listen to this thumbs down

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: February 19, 2009 21:07

These days I'm not in a big Stones mood - and only, when that's the case, Still Life is the album I play most often. I think it's just the right length so that we are left wanting more (which, you know, is a GOOD thing!), I love the song selection and order.

I also agree with Craven that it's much better than the boots. The boots have great moments but it's often loose and messy, with Jagger muddying through the songs. Still Life is a perfect case of efficient editing, turning 2h shows that so often went nowhere into 45 minutes of powerful and varied Soul/Rock.

Just my Imagination and Under My Thumb are among my all-time fav Stones songs.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: February 19, 2009 21:19

...six great tracks and four bad ones.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 19, 2009 21:47

Shattered: SG-version. The room. The dynamics. Great. Then I´d go for -81/82 and then Shine a light, folks. 1994? Don´t think so.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: February 19, 2009 23:46

Hmm...I like it and agree that there are several more songs that could have been included. On the other hand, I'm not wild about the sound -- it's good, but the guitar tone seems a bit thin and lacking in punch. The guitarists did have a different sound on that tour, but some mixes of some shows sound better to me than Still Life.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home