Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Stones Tour USA 2009?
Posted by: cinema ()
Date: February 4, 2009 16:28

Rock Legends are reported to be gearing up for live shows…

Rock Legends The Rolling Stones look set to announce a 2009 US tour. According to reports by the Daily Express newspaper, the band are likely to hit the road before the end of the year.

A source told the tabloid that the veteran rockers have been offered millions to perform a series of live shows stateside “It’s a good offer… they may be well into their 60s but the lads can still out-rock most of the bands around today.”

The news will excite the Stones’ massive fan base, particularly because many were disappointed that guitarist Ronnie Wood may not get the chance to play alongside Rod Stewart on a Faces reunion tour this year.

Last month a spokesperson for Rod Stewart said that there are no plans for a tour this year, thus, freeing up Ronnie play for The Stones.

The Rolling Stones have toured pretty much non stop over the past couple of decades and their last two year extravaganza, The Bigger Bang world tour, grossed $558,255,524 worldwide.
(http://www.mtv.co.uk/channel/mtvuk/news/473293-rolling-stones-to-announce-tour)

Re: Stones Tour USA 2009?
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 4, 2009 16:48

Start spreading the news, Im leaving today. I want to be a part of it - new york, new york.

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: February 4, 2009 16:54

I HOOP THE WILL PLAY SMALL INDOOR STADIUMS LIKE 1999 ..

2010 - 2012 .. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 7, 2009 12:02

[www.express.co.uk]

Even if it is obsolete......and already said and done....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 7, 2009 12:20

Whats this - the 5th thread on this one in 3 days?

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 7, 2009 13:30

smile: If there'll be a 6th thread on this topic I might start believing the rumours.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 7, 2009 13:32

The measured encouragement I take from these stories is that there usually turns out to be some truth in them. Chinese whispers they may be...but they don't start themselves ;^).
Why would they be planning a tour in these less than ideal times ?
Because it's still what they do, they know time is marching on, and they'll do it whilst ever they can.

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: February 7, 2009 19:00

I hope they play in New Orleans. They skipped New Orleans so many times. I think they owe us to play here. They had not played New Orleans since 1994. I saw them in 1981, 1989, and 1994 after that never came back. Hopefully they will get to us in Louisiana this time if they do tour.

drummer_dude

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: February 7, 2009 19:02

They'll NEVER play N.O. again. The fans don't show up for their gigs anymore.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 7, 2009 19:21

They havent played there since what, Jan 2003? Didnt it sell well? I would have thought it did.

There were quite a few major cities on their last US leg where the demand was distinctly underwhelming and saw a lot of 'tarping' - Chicago, Phoenix, etc.

I dont doubt for a minute they'll be back to those cities.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 7, 2009 19:43

Gazza

Well I put the over under at 10....We still have a way to gosad smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-07 19:44 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: February 8, 2009 01:10

sweetcharmedlife
Gazza

Well I put the over under at 10....We still have a way to gosad smiley

I'll take the over!!

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: February 8, 2009 03:17

starstar74

yeah , i saw them in london in 2007 , and all the people i saw were 150 year-olds!
call the rockers!! , the guys at the gig were just warming the chairs as ladies!!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 8, 2009 05:37

Gazza
They havent played there since what, Jan 2003? Didnt it sell well? I would have thought it did.

There were quite a few major cities on their last US leg where the demand was distinctly underwhelming and saw a lot of 'tarping' - Chicago, Phoenix, etc.

I dont doubt for a minute they'll be back to those cities.

The ironic thing is New Orleans was home to a few of the Stones' truly historic gigs. In 1978 they played to 80,000 at the Dome. Fast forward three years to 1981 and they drew 87,500 - at the time an indoor attendance record in the U.S. They sold out the Dome in three hours for the Steel Wheel's tour in 89. Okay, the Voodoo Lounge stop drew fewer people, but it was still featured on the iconic CBS program - 60 minutes. I know Fred, Elmo and Edith Grove would love a New Orleans stop!

Re: stones to tour!
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 8, 2009 14:43

Happy24
All the big acts are on tour this year - U2, Springsteen, AC/DC, Depeche Mode, Madonna... I don't remember a year like that. If the Stones would announce a tour later this year, the tickets would really not sell well I am affraid. It is not very wise that U2 still didn't announce the tour, Springsteen - or his management - was wise to do it fast. And then there will be a "weak" year 2010, when the Rolling Stones can jump in easily. Just my opinion, I think it makes sence.

Madonna sold 65.000 tickets in one day in Werchter. Tickets 75 and 85(FOS) eur.
Bv, remember Werchter? angry smiley

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 8, 2009 17:58

At the risk of saying the same old thing again, I vote for the dusting off of the Superbowl stage - going out on a'Tip of the tongue' arena tour.

they can charge outrageous prices for being 'in the tongue' plus the stage is located in the middle of the arena so every seat is a good view.

Know the chances of this happening are slim to none, but I reckon its a killer idea - someone tell the Stones its the way forward. The stage has got to be gathering dust somewhere, cuts back on the Overheads of a new stage production, cus it already exists and is a proven winner.

Come on boys - you know it makes sense. i'll put myself down for a 1% commission of all tour earnings. Everyones a winner!!!!!!!!

Keep on rollin!

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: February 8, 2009 18:12

I really can't see it happening. No news or tidbits in the papers. Rumors are just rumors. Unless they are gonna surprise us with a new cd and tour.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: February 8, 2009 18:14

Great idea Monkeytonkman. Agree that it's probably not going to happen, but would love to see it.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 8, 2009 18:15

I was at the Voodoo 94 New Orleans show. I was stunned at how few people were there. I think the total tally was something like 23,000. 65,000 tickets available. Oh and it was 83,000 in 1978.

If they do come to NOLA I'm gonna be there - if I can. But I really don't think they will bother. They could have come and played the Arena but they even passed that up. They could sell that out.

I think.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 8, 2009 19:42

mexicostone
starstar74

yeah , i saw them in london in 2007 , and all the people i saw were 150 year-olds!
call the rockers!! , the guys at the gig were just warming the chairs as ladies!!

stop trolling

Re: New Tour !! :-)
Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: February 8, 2009 23:00

jlowe
T&A
i don't see the stones ramping it up for anything like a 20-show tour. they just aren't built (organizationally) for something on a small-scale like that. also, the money to be made on something on that scale wouldn't justify the work the band would have to put into it - it's pretty obvious (even to them), that they need weeks/months of planning and rehearsing to pull off anything resembling 'credible' at this point....

What makes you so confident it isnt being planned right now?
Mick has been spending time in LA of late..cant be just a vacation.

Exactly! They could easily be working on an album. It's silly to speculate as to when Mick and Keith spoke last...as far as I know, their phones aren't wired.

I think it's very possible for them to communicate their thoughts and music without actually seeing each other in person, so they could put an album together quite quickly, if they wanted to. Personally, I would love for them to start touring in 2009 and wait on finishing their new songs until they are on the road, they would come out with something fantastic.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 8, 2009 23:57

Based on 1994's New Orleans show with so few people there it's obvious that that is the very final reason they have opted to skip playing New Orleans - they went from 87,500 to 65,000 or whatever for Steel Wheels (surely the size of the stage had something to do with that) to 23,000 or whatever for Voodoo. What reason would they have to think that anyone would show up for Bridges? Or Licks? Or Bang?

None. It's New Orleans - going to see music here is liking renting a movie. As much as I love the Stones, believe it or not, there is other great music playing in New Orleans every night. And as far as saying something insulting like there are better musicians in New Orleans, well, there are. But they are not The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 9, 2009 00:10

why didnt they just play a smaller gig in NEW ORLEANS in 94?

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: February 9, 2009 01:09

mexicostone
starstar74

Hey I'm only 87! Lighten up! Guess this means there will be one extra ticket in the future since you won't be attending. Congrats to whomever gets it!!

Re: New Tour !! :-)
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 9, 2009 02:14

jlowe
T&A
i don't see the stones ramping it up for anything like a 20-show tour. they just aren't built (organizationally) for something on a small-scale like that. also, the money to be made on something on that scale wouldn't justify the work the band would have to put into it - it's pretty obvious (even to them), that they need weeks/months of planning and rehearsing to pull off anything resembling 'credible' at this point....

What makes you so confident it isnt being planned right now?
Mick has been spending time in LA of late..cant be just a vacation.

So much for Mick being in LA,since he was in London tonight.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 9, 2009 02:25

melillo
why didnt they just play a smaller gig in NEW ORLEANS in 94?

The next smaller venue in N.O. in '94 held something like 5000.
We now have an NBA basketball arena which would have easily sold out in '94.

Incidentally, BV had reported a "rumored" date for March 11, 2006 at the arena, but that was taken off the schedule after Katrina.
Somewhat ironically, Billy Graham had of his crusades on the date the Stones were rumored to play.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1579
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home