Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT Recommend a new band
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 28, 2009 02:55

I have been a Stones fan since 68/69 when I was a teenager, during the 70's I was really into the concert scene seeing many bands, my favorites - Stones - Zepplin - Pink Floyd - Rory Gallagher - Santana + many more of that sort of era but over the years I still only hang onto those bands. As i don't go to many concerts anymore (apart from The Stones) I feel I'm missing out, when The Stones eventually stop touring I will feel very empty SO who could I go and see to get fired up, anyone got any suggestions? Thanks

Re: OT Recommend a new band
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: January 28, 2009 03:01

She and him

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 28, 2009 03:25

Drive By Truckers.

Jamey Johnson.

Howlin' Rain

The Gourds

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: January 28, 2009 03:27

I am your age and have the same taste in music and concerts. These days the only performer in the U.S. that I'll go out of my way to see anymore (and I've seen everybody) is Dwight Yoakam. Go figure.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: January 28, 2009 04:25

HOWLIN RAIN! smiling smiley

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 28, 2009 04:28

jackie greene is still a little green around the ears despite having several albums under his belt....i have been very impressed with him...."the next dylan" is a terrible thing to have to live up to, but he's got alot going for him.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 28, 2009 06:05

The Faces
The Old 97s
The Replacements
Social Distortion
Wilco

Date: January 28, 2009 06:28

Kings of Leon
Deadstring Bros
Novaks
Whigs
Answer

Date: January 28, 2009 06:53

TeaAtThree
The Faces
The Old 97s
The Replacements
Social Distortion
Wilco

these are new acts?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 28, 2009 08:49

The Black Keys
Dead Medow
Mountain

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: January 28, 2009 09:11

Fvcked Up is a Canadian rock band that formed at the beginning of this decade. They play a very heavy, guitar-layered, punk-influenced type of rock with all the epic and anthemic aspects of classic rock. Out of all the recent indie bands everyone has raved about, this one so far is the only one that has impressed me. Definitely the most kick-ass hard rock band I've heard in a real long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-28 09:13 by it's_all_wrong.

Posted by: TotalBB ()
Date: January 28, 2009 11:41

Looking at your favourites, I'd recommend Wolfmother and Muse.

Wolfmother:

Muse:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-28 11:48 by TotalBB.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 28, 2009 11:46

Justin Townes Earle

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: January 28, 2009 12:04

Rough 'n Tumble. Kick ass rock 'n roll! You can download their 2nd (live) album ('Live at the Wangbar') for free. Go to 'Music' on their website [www.rough-n-tumble.nl]

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 28, 2009 12:06

Thank for all your help everyone, I'll check them out on youtube and see where they are playing. It is very hard to get into new stuff when you have grown up with so much talent and that seems to have been etched into me.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 28, 2009 12:55

Wolfmother was great! One album and a single, and they have already broken up. A shame...

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 28, 2009 13:01

TotalBB
Looking at your favourites, I'd recommend Wolfmother and Muse.

Wolfmother:

Muse:

Very good choices, altough Muse have been around for almost ten years, so they can hardly be considered as a "new" band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-28 14:26 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: TotalBB ()
Date: January 28, 2009 13:04

Wild Slivovitz
Very good chices, altough Muse have been around for almost ten years, so they can hrdly be considered as a "new" band.
Of course you're right, but compared to the likes of Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rory Gallagher and Santana, they are... winking smiley

Posted by: Art ()
Date: January 28, 2009 13:41

Check out Cross Canadian Ragweed- kind of a southern rock sound, alt country, rock sound. These guys kick live.
I also like No Justice.
Someone else also posted the Whigs. I agree. Check them out.

These days it is hard to find new talent.
You can try to use internet radio, or word of mouth(like this).
I tried Pandora Radio. Once you put in some bands that you like,they will play music from other bands that are similar on style.

Date: January 28, 2009 15:25

Art makes a good point. (Well two - he agrees with me on the Whigs from Athens Ga). But Pandora Radio is a great way to learn new bands. You program your station(s) with acts you like. Then the computer will keep selecting tracks it thinks you will like based on that. You keep grading the selections, often rejecting, and the computer gets better and better. It will by no means only play songs by the acts you have named. So you get many new names like this, plus you get to hear songs by them. I found some good names like that

Date: January 28, 2009 16:16

The Black Angels.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 28, 2009 16:39

My Morning Jacket (not a 'new' band, but highly under-appreciated)

I'm Amazed Vid

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 28, 2009 16:42

whitem8
The Black Keys
Dead Medow
Mountain

Excellent choices, all though I assume you mean B.C. stoner rockers BLACK Mountain!

I would add, though not exactly in the same vein, JONATHAN TYLER & THE NORTHERN LIGHTS from Dallas who will blow minds of all R&B based Stones like rock fans.

Also Dead Confederate and the BRILLIANT, STUNNING and UNPARALLELED new effort by the Derek Trucks band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-28 16:47 by R.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 28, 2009 18:19

THE POWERGOATS!
grinning smiley

Click my link below - our entire CD is available for free downloading including artwork a la Urbansteel!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: chewie1234 ()
Date: January 28, 2009 19:28

The Felice Brothers.

---------------------------
C'm on!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 28, 2009 19:50

Deadstring Brothers

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: January 28, 2009 21:00

Ane Brun. Here's a complete concert (my favourite is track 19, "My Lover Will Go" - fantastic):

Amsterdam, April 2008

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: January 29, 2009 00:42

pgarof
I have been a Stones fan since 68/69 when I was a teenager, during the 70's I was really into the concert scene seeing many bands, my favorites - Stones - Zepplin - Pink Floyd - Rory Gallagher - Santana + many more of that sort of era but over the years I still only hang onto those bands. As i don't go to many concerts anymore (apart from The Stones) I feel I'm missing out, when The Stones eventually stop touring I will feel very empty SO who could I go and see to get fired up, anyone got any suggestions? Thanks

That sounds nice to me , sounds like your brain functions well , not like some addicts on IORR!
maybe i would like to change your life , be cool , change your looks and feel young again , and please don't get into bands that play the same kind of old stuff ( i think many right here have enough with bands of the past)
so , try buying records , going to fests , concerts and enjoying music of these guys:

Favorite Tracks:

Arctic Monkeys-----Flourescent Adolescent
The Strokes--------Razorblade
The Libertines-----Can't Stand Me Now
The Kooks----------Matchbox
Kings of Leon------Use Somebody
Muse---------------Starlight
Killers------------Mr. Brightside
Doves--------------Black And White Town
Airbourne----------Stand Up For RockNRoll
The Answer---------Come Follow Me
Keane--------------Is It Any Wonder

I really , really recommend them , they're mostly indie rock , which i love to listen to and play.
anyway , try youtube for those tracks , and you'll see it's all amazing , a new era which means a lot to me!!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 29, 2009 01:48

Maybe not new but finally getting their due:

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings: great blues and soul. They look, and sound like 1966-1972 soul.

Okkervil River: good studio band, great live band. If REM had started in this decade they might be peers. Not for your typical Stones fan.

Susan Tedeschi: great blues guitar. She is married to Derek Trucks who many may know as a current guitarist with the Allman Bros. Her material sounds like the Allmans when Dickey Betts and Duane Allman were still around. Stones fans might like her.

Date: January 29, 2009 01:50

susan's not exactly new either - been at it over a decade now. love sharon - the entire daptone records catalogue is worth delving into for fans of that kinda thang....

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home