Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Blinded By Love
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 4, 2020 04:42

Taylor1
Great song. Along with its sister by title,, Blinded by Rainbows

Agree, I love both!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 4, 2020 06:07

Taylor1

Always quite liked both those tracks.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: December 4, 2020 06:28

treaclefingers
Taylor1

I just can't be seen with people who like those tracks unless I'm wearing a mask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-04 07:46 by Swayed1967.

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: December 4, 2020 07:35

Took a while for this song to get my attention. Granted, far from their finest, yet it still has enough appeal that I never skip over it...unlike 'Can't Be Seen With You'.

Musically, I like the fiddle and mandolin contributions and the sound of Keith's voice when he harmonizes with Mick. Sure do miss those days when they used to share the mic onstage.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: December 4, 2020 08:42

I love this song. They played It live the first time I saw them. It was great!

Date: December 4, 2020 11:05

Even Mick might think it's a filler. But anyway I love it. Despite the kitsch lyrics.

Date: December 12, 2020 15:31

Swayed1967
treaclefingers
Taylor1

I just can't be seen with people who like those tracks unless I'm wearing a mask.

That probably works double duty for everyone, saving you from exposing others to the COVID, plus, we don't have to see your mug.

Date: February 12, 2024 17:26

Only played live once (Madrid 1990). Quite good, imo.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 12, 2024 17:44

Never heard that live version before. Thanks, Dandie!

Yeah, a pretty nice version. What a storm of acoustic guitars! And Mick's delivery is a spot on.

Never been any of my biggest favourites, but damn, there is a nice song there. Some really nice features musically and melodically (forget the lyrics). Funnily, reminds me a bit of "Waitin' On A Friend" (thinking especially of 1981/82 live versions). And made me wonder what is the difference some song turning out to be a such a masterpiece, and some just a mediocrity or a throwaway thing, although the elements, usually being pretty simple by constitution, not varying that much. Sometimes the use of those elements just hit the nail, sometimes not. You can't really analyze it: the wonder and magic of music...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-12 17:51 by Doxa.

Date: February 12, 2024 23:11

Doxa
Never heard that live version before. Thanks, Dandie!

Yeah, a pretty nice version. What a storm of acoustic guitars! And Mick's delivery is a spot on.

Never been any of my biggest favourites, but damn, there is a nice song there. Some really nice features musically and melodically (forget the lyrics). Funnily, reminds me a bit of "Waitin' On A Friend" (thinking especially of 1981/82 live versions). And made me wonder what is the difference some song turning out to be a such a masterpiece, and some just a mediocrity or a throwaway thing, although the elements, usually being pretty simple by constitution, not varying that much. Sometimes the use of those elements just hit the nail, sometimes not. You can't really analyze it: the wonder and magic of music...

- Doxa

Sometimes it helps believing in it by playing it night after night smiling smiley

What did he say, 'we're gonna be The Gypsy Kings'? Priceless grinning smiley

Date: February 13, 2024 00:05

Date: February 13, 2024 03:30

Not bad. Like the others, this song does not age.

Date: February 14, 2024 17:41

One of the strongest cuts off Steel Wheels...always liked it and the other sight-challenged tune from Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: February 14, 2024 17:56

Treacle Fingers - I usually find myself agreeing with you, but not this time!

Blinded by love is pleasant filler at best

Blinded by Rainbows (a song addressed to terrorists - you've really got to be at the top of your lyrical game to pull that off) is embarrassingly trite. if you think that Mick wrote Sympathy for the Devil, this is quite a decline....

Compare these ballads with 'Depending on You' or 'Tell Me Straight'. No wonder Hackney Diamonds has been received as 'their best in ages'.

What a shame that Voodoo Lounge- which roars out of the traps quite strongly in the first half dozen or so songs - descends into a series of ill-sequenced mediocrities, of which BBR is a prime example.

The weather's crap on Anglesey today - maybe it's affecting my mood cool smiley

Date: February 14, 2024 23:49

bakersfield
Treacle Fingers - I usually find myself agreeing with you, but not this time!

Blinded by love is pleasant filler at best

Blinded by Rainbows (a song addressed to terrorists - you've really got to be at the top of your lyrical game to pull that off) is embarrassingly trite. if you think that Mick wrote Sympathy for the Devil, this is quite a decline....

Compare these ballads with 'Depending on You' or 'Tell Me Straight'. No wonder Hackney Diamonds has been received as 'their best in ages'.

What a shame that Voodoo Lounge- which roars out of the traps quite strongly in the first half dozen or so songs - descends into a series of ill-sequenced mediocrities, of which BBR is a prime example.

The weather's crap on Anglesey today - maybe it's affecting my mood cool smiley

Bakersfield you hurtful bastard, though I have to say my wife never agrees with me so you're in excellent company!

Clearly I'm not comparing those songs with HD, easily the best thing they've done since Undercover, and probably before.

I will say I really like the Blind twins, the country flavour of Blinded by Love with that weird Queen of the Nile stuff (courtesy Chris Jagger), and even the simplistic lyrics of Rainbow don't phase me.

Just a pleasure to listen to. Now if you really want a good example of lyrically trite, cringeworthy, look no further than the song that kicks off the album. I was a butcher cutting up meat, I was a hooker losing her looks, I was a lawyer, chasing an ambulance? I\Look, it's the Rolling Stones "Career Fair"!

Come on!

Then there's Sweet Neocon. Oh dear. I'm even politically aligned with this, but I want to crawl under a rock when I hear it.

And EVEN HD has it's low moment lyrically, Live By the Sword. It sounds like a nursery rhyme.

So what I will say is Mick is consistent, at being inconsistent.

Date: February 15, 2024 00:35

Brilliant post, Treacle Fingers.

You’ve given me a belly laugh and made me think.

Tell your missus she’s right though!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 15, 2024 13:03

Micks's a very intelligent individual.

he must know how trite and "cringey" some of these lyrics can appear...and he has to sing them !

I sometimes think he does it on purpose just to take the piss.

Date: February 15, 2024 14:50

I love the lyrics, to me they are quite clever!

The Philistines paid
For Samson's blind rage
The secrets that two lovers share
Should never have been betrayed

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 15, 2024 15:10

Yep...some of his lyrics are very clever.

...but others are completely moronic...and he knows it grinning smiley

Date: February 15, 2024 16:32

LeonidP
I love the lyrics, to me they are quite clever!

The Philistines paid
For Samson's blind rage
The secrets that two lovers share
Should never have been betrayed

yeah I love that bit.

Date: February 15, 2024 16:34

bakersfield
Brilliant post, Treacle Fingers.

You’ve given me a belly laugh and made me think.

Tell your missus she’s right though!

smileys with beer

Sadly, she knows she's right!

Date: February 15, 2024 17:02

I think his absolute nadir as a lyricist is the part in 'Oh No Not You Again' that begins 'The moon is yellow..I'm like Jello...' You either laugh or cry....

Date: February 15, 2024 19:17

bakersfield
I think his absolute nadir as a lyricist is the part in 'Oh No Not You Again' that begins 'The moon is yellow..I'm like Jello...' You either laugh or cry....

Unless you're a shark, then you most certainly cry.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 15, 2024 22:36

Spud
Micks's a very intelligent individual.

he must know how trite and "cringey" some of these lyrics can appear...and he has to sing them !

I sometimes think he does it on purpose just to take the piss.

Well, everytime when I listen this song, and pay attention to the lyrics, I can see Mick's huge grin... Maybe he is seriously warning us about the dangers of being madly in love, with all these historical references to back up his argument but all I can hear is a dude just having fun with a tongue-in-cheek...

Anyway, the stance or even the topic of this song is pretty unusual for a Stones lyric, you know, how Mick's there preaching about the dangers of romantic love. There is not many other Jagger songs that doesn't have "I" or "me" there, you know, not having some personal involvement, him being either a subject or an object in the story.. This is purely a third person perspective, based on observation from 'outside'... That's why I think it does sound a bit odd to his mouth.. And I am pretty sure he knows it... Irony is there...

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-15 22:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 15, 2024 22:47

DandelionPowderman
Only played live once (Madrid 1990). Quite good, imo.

[www.youtube.com]

Terrible, it reminds me of the shambolic Dylan/Keith/Woody "performance" at Live Aid ! You can see why they never played it again.

The chorus is as schmaltzy as it gets too, something you'd hear in a German beer festival or something ;-)

I remember quite liking it on first listen though but we were so happy to have the Stones back in 1989 after "WWIII" that anything went !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 15, 2024 22:50

Sweethearts Together is another well written, well played underrated gem

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-15 22:53 by Taylor1.

Date: February 16, 2024 17:38

Taylor1

I think you're in the minority in liking this one, and I'm happy to join you in that minority. Just another example of how versatile stylistically they can be.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: February 16, 2024 18:10

One of the very few good tracks on Steel Wheels. I think it was intended as a parody. It's very enjoyable. It evokes the following associations in me: sailing in the Caribbean, sparkling sunshine, sipping cocktails, relaxing, joking with friends.
Sweethearts Together creates similar feeling: sailing sunshine etc.
Both great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 18:13 by 1962.

Date: February 16, 2024 18:30

treaclefingers
Taylor1

I think you're in the minority in liking this one, and I'm happy to join you in that minority. Just another example of how versatile stylistically they can be.

Sweethearts Together is a beautiful song, just that the lyrics are a bit too corny. I don't find that the case with Blinded By Love, not to me anyway.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 17, 2024 15:09

Surprised to see a lot of hardcore fans like this one I find it to be one of their cringiest songs. I love Steel Wheels but BBL and Break the Spell are pure filler at least to my ears.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home