Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: CCR
Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 22, 2009 01:46

I was listening to Creedence last night. Cosmo's Factory and what a great album and a great band. Wonder why at least around here they seem to be somewhat forgotten. I know they have been gone for close to forty years but in the brief time they were around they put out a stunning array of music. I think they have to be one of the top ten best bands ever. Any thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-22 22:18 by bv.

Re: CCR
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 22, 2009 01:48

hardly forgotten, slew. they get a lot of chatter around here. great band, but as history has proven, it was pretty much john fogerty's band...he's carried the ccr flag very well the past decade or so...that's no slagging on doug and stu, either - fine musicians in their own right....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 22, 2009 01:48

Bought a new pressing of the Cosmos Factory LP in December....I'd forgotten what a great great album it was. If you search for Creedence Clearwater on IORR...you'd find a good thread about their records, from some months ago.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 22, 2009 02:03

Great band! Fogerty is definitely carrying the torch today.

Don't know why they're not as big as any other band...they have some of the most crucial songs from that period.

Date: January 22, 2009 02:06

I have always missed Fogerty when he comes to New England area I need to see this guy play live!! I love the CCR songs and John has some cool solo records as well.

Date: January 22, 2009 02:08

Justin
Great band! Fogerty is definitely carrying the torch today.

Don't know why they're not as big as any other band...they have some of the most crucial songs from that period.

big? in what sense? they were huge record sellers in their day - dominated the charts and airwaves....

Date: January 22, 2009 02:09

Creedence Clearwater Revisited is the reformed band currently touring - sans John Fogarty of course. I have great memories of Cosmos Factory, maybe their best album. Every so often I play a few of their oldies. It brings me back to kinder times.

Date: January 22, 2009 02:11

T&A - I think Justin is stating that they don't get the recognition today that some of the other bands from that era get. VH1 had their top 100 albums couple of years back and CCR did not have one in there.

Date: January 22, 2009 02:14

slew
T&A - I think Justin is stating that they don't get the recognition today that some of the other bands from that era get. VH1 had their top 100 albums couple of years back and CCR did not have one in there.

more recognized as group that perfected the three-minute single in their era. but, i've sensed they've gotten their due recognition...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 22, 2009 02:15

John is one of the finest guitarists in the world. I love the CCR stuff(my first fav was Susie Q) but one of my favorite albums of all time is his solo "Blue Ridge Rangers".

Date: January 22, 2009 02:15

Maybe - It does not seem that way to me though

Date: January 22, 2009 02:19

scottkeef
John is one of the finest guitarists in the world. I love the CCR stuff(my first fav was Susie Q) but one of my favorite albums of all time is his solo "Blue Ridge Rangers".

great album...and solo in the truest sense of the word - plays all the instruments and is all the players on the front cover....

Date: January 22, 2009 02:20

I think he proved he was CCR when he let the others do most of the work for Mardi Gras one of the poorest albums ever.

Date: January 22, 2009 02:21

he sure took a couple of bigtime jabs at bushie on the last album...there was some serious hostility thre....

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 22, 2009 02:26

Yeah, thanks Slew..that's indeed what I meant.

I think if you were to ask a person to name their top ten bands...CCR would most usually be left off the list or would just barely make the bottom 2. For whatever reason, I feel, the band is just not in the presence of people's minds. It baffles me because Fogerty's guitar work is some of the most important even among all the greats. Perhaps the "swamp-rock" and country flavor in CCR has made people put a distinct separation from other rock bands? I dunno...but they're a little removed from everyone else.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 22, 2009 02:54

Absolutely love Creedence!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 22, 2009 03:18

T&A
scottkeef

great album...and solo in the truest sense of the word - plays all the instruments and is all the players on the front cover....

I THOUGHT I had heard that way back when wow that IS talent!

Date: January 22, 2009 03:22

scottkeef
T&A
scottkeef

I THOUGHT I had heard that way back when wow that IS talent!

he actually played all the instruments on a few of his solo albums....including the centerfield album....

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 22, 2009 03:43

yeah... but by the same token, none of his solo albums come close to Creedence's first 5 albums, so if he didn't exactly need the band, they sure did him good.

Fogerty's guitar licks are extremely influenced by Albert King.

Date: January 22, 2009 03:46

cc
yeah... but by the same token, none of his solo albums come close to Creedence's first 5 albums, so if he didn't exactly need the band, they sure did him good.

Fogerty's guitar licks are extremely influenced by Albert King.

true - but what blues guitar player in the 60's wasn't? jimi stole from him very liberally.

ccr was a good band, but i think john has carried on their legacy and tradition very nobly...aside from 'zombie,' i don't think there's a weak album in the deck....

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: January 22, 2009 03:48

Fogerty is one of my favorite artists of all time. Still very strong to this day. Glad he finally decided to go back to playing his CCR songs which he had not played for many years. Unfortunately he got screwed big time by that ass at Fantasy records but he persevered. Cosmos factory is an all time classic.

Date: January 22, 2009 03:51

No Expectations
Glad he finally decided to go back to playing his CCR songs which he had not played for many years.

you heard the story of who convinced him to play them?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 22, 2009 04:04

Cosmos Factory, was their best IMO. My favorite CCR song is Ramble Tamble.

Problem was, they were not that great live back then because they use to play only 35 - 45 minute shows,
and the rhythm guitar, which I felt was an important component of their sound, was kept at way too low of a volume, Tom could barely be heard.

At least Fogerty now plays CCR material, and does it real well.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: January 22, 2009 04:07

T&A
No Expectations
Glad he finally decided to go back to playing his CCR songs which he had not played for many years.

Not sure of the full story but I remember reading it was Dylan who told him if he didn't start playing them people would think Proud Mary was a Tina Tuner song??

Date: January 22, 2009 04:13

that's the story...at a rnr hof event, i believe. bob also initiated the long-running farm-aid with comments made at live aid in '85. bob's kinda the ef hutton of rocknroll - when he talks, peeps listen.....

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 22, 2009 04:17

No Expectations
T&A
No Expectations

Not sure of the full story but I remember reading it was Dylan who told him if he didn't start playing them people would think Proud Mary was a Tina Tuner song??

I heard it was his wife who finally convinced him to start doing CCR material.

Date: January 22, 2009 04:18

BluzDude
No Expectations
T&A
No Expectations

I heard it was his wife who finally convinced him to start doing CCR material.

nope - his wife definitely saved him on a number of other levels, though...got him to start writing love songs, even....

Date: January 22, 2009 08:11

i just saw john summer 2008 and he is still great. i like his stuff but the ccr stuff is the real deal. i just read in rolling stone magazine he is working on a covers cd, so hopefully he will tour again this summer. if anybody likes ccr/fogerty-please see him in concert. i don't think you will be dissapointed

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: January 22, 2009 11:58

Just bought the anniversary edition of Cosmo's Factory and relived the CCR-experience. WOW. There's just so much going on in this allegedly simple music, so much influences at work. I'd call it sophistication in simplicity.

Date: January 22, 2009 13:02

john fogery's solo career is great too. almost everything he did solo is worth owning

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home