Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Black Limousine
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: November 27, 2011 11:15

The first take of this recording from November 1973, in Munich, Germany, suggests the song was at first intended for the It's Only Rock 'n' Roll album, the song bearing the working title of "Broken Head Blues." Believe it or not, Ronnie did show up for this -- before he even left the Faces. But the proposed 1974 version is all instrumental.

The next take of this recording, from October 1977, now given its present title, suggested the song was then planned for release on Some Girls.

The genesis of "Black Limousine":
Take 1 recorded November 13-24, 1973 in Munich, Germany (under possible working title of "Broken Head Blues" )
Take 2 recorded October-December, 1977 in Paris, France (under present title; song has rough-draft lyrics and weird intro)
Takes 3-4 recorded January-March, 1978 in Paris, France (revised intro, still early lyrics on take 3; new lyrics on take 4)
Takes 5-6 recorded June-August 1979 in Paris, France (take 5 is a cut version of take 3; Tattoo You version is from take 6)

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-27 19:27 by BrianJones1969.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 27, 2011 13:27

BL proves that RW is a quite good song writer and that he deserves to contribute more compositions competencies to the albums that we all hope will come.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 27, 2011 15:50

It's in my top 3 off the album, along w/ Start Me Up & Worried About You.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 07:31

BrianJones1969
The first take of this recording from November 1973, in Munich, Germany, suggests the song was at first intended for the It's Only Rock 'n' Roll album, the song bearing the working title of "Broken Head Blues." Believe it or not, Ronnie did show up for this -- before he even left the Faces. But the proposed 1974 version is all instrumental.

The next take of this recording, from October 1977, now given its present title, suggested the song was then planned for release on Some Girls.

The genesis of "Black Limousine":
Take 1 recorded November 13-24, 1973 in Munich, Germany (under possible working title of "Broken Head Blues" )
Take 2 recorded October-December, 1977 in Paris, France (under present title; song has rough-draft lyrics and weird intro)
Takes 3-4 recorded January-March, 1978 in Paris, France (revised intro, still early lyrics on take 3; new lyrics on take 4)
Takes 5-6 recorded June-August 1979 in Paris, France (take 5 is a cut version of take 3; Tattoo You version is from take 6)

~Ben

really interesting to read that ronnie was working on this with them back when taylor was still in the band. hmm...

i like this song, it's certainly not classic stones blues by any stretch, but it's well executed and i thought sounded great live in '81, actually one of the best tracks off this album that they did live.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 07:54

I dig this track. Micks all over it. Bill too. Just fantastic groove. Not your typical Stones 'blues', but then The Stones aren't your typical band!

Rod

Posted by: MrHappy ()
Date: September 14, 2015 08:04

Always felt like the line "you in white and me in green" was a direct reference to Mick and Bianca's wedding day.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 2, 2023 04:00

Ronnie said somewhere that the influence for his
Black Limo playin' came from the Texan lap steel player Hop Wilson ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 3, 2023 02:10

Rockman

Ronnie said somewhere that the influence for his
Black Limo playin' came from the Texan lap steel player Hop Wilson ....

Check out Hop's Chicken Stuff.

I think Bill is a little stiff on the studio Black Limousine, but man does he bounce on the Tattoo You tour.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 3, 2023 05:21

Didn’t Mick Taylor have a solo song named Broken Hands on his first solo albums that sounds a little like Hand of Fate

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 4, 2023 05:19

Taylor1
Didn’t Mick Taylor have a solo song named Broken Hands on his first solo albums that sounds a little like Hand of Fate

It sounds like Hand Of Fate if you want it to in places. But it doesn't sound like Hand Of Fate.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 4, 2023 13:14

surely a song that should be performed live more often

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 4, 2023 22:34

Not a standard 12 bar blues as it has 13 or 14 bars.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: January 4, 2023 23:39

I love the funkiness of the song...it was a time when the band could have great toe tappers and knockout ballads on the same record.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 5, 2023 11:13

Elmo Lewis
Not a standard 12 bar blues as it has 13 or 14 bars.

12 bars including the turn-around.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-05 11:14 by Mathijs.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home