Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Satisfaction" and Martha and the Vandellas' "Dancing in the Street"
Posted by: so ()
Date: January 16, 2009 17:56

Hey,
Does anybody know, where Keith first said that "Satisfaction" is based on Martha and the Vandellas' "Dancing in the Street"? The first account of that story that I found is in Daltons 1972 book ("Keith has said that 'Satisfaction' is based loosely on Martha and the Vandellas' 'Dancing In The Streets.'" David Dalton, ed., Rolling Stones, New York 1972, p. 32). Is that really the first emendation or got it Dalton from an interview?

Re: "Satisfaction" and Martha and the Vandellas' "Dancing in the Street"
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 16, 2009 18:40

Don't know the answer to your question but....
A few years ago (1996), my wife and I visted the Motown Studios
in Detroit. Martha Reeves (of the Vandellas) was there!

I don't think it was planned or anything. She was just chatting with tourists
and signing photos....even took us out front to take photos with here
in front of the building. Very nice person.

[www.guitarworld.com]

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-16 18:45 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 16, 2009 20:03

I believe, that maybe somebody changed this by mistake; I think it is Street Fighting Man that's been "inspired" by Dancing In the Street !

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 16, 2009 20:09

Rank Stranger
I believe, that maybe somebody changed this by mistake; I think it is Street Fighting Man that's been "inspired" by Dancing In the Street !

How about Bruce's "Racing In The Streets"?

Summer's here and the time is right for dancing/fighting/racing in the streets...

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 16, 2009 20:12

It is not only the words, I'm thinking of; listen to the chords!!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 16, 2009 20:26

I think the riff on satisfaction sounds more like "Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide".

but I woudn't say satisfication was based on Nowhere to run or dancing in the street or any song there's just similarities.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-17 07:39 by ryanpow.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: January 17, 2009 02:30

ryanpow
I think the riff on satisfaction sounds more like "Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide".

but I woudn't say satisfication was based on dancing in the sreet or any song there's just similarities.

You nailed it - I have always thought that the riff and vibe was much closer to that one

Posted by: so ()
Date: January 17, 2009 19:35

Right, ryanpow and mstmst, that's my suggestion, too. So the change by mistake is clear, no matter made by whom. (And the connex between "Dancing in the Street" and "Street Fighting Man" is obvious in any case.) But still, I'm in search for the first emendation of Richard's quote - if it did exist. I repeat it: has anybody an idea if Dalton ("Keith has said that 'Satisfaction' is based loosely on Martha and the Vandellas' 'Dancing In The Streets.'" David Dalton, ed., Rolling Stones, New York 1972, p. 32) was the first one to tell this 'anecdote' or is there an interview in or before 1972, where Richards could have told it (it's not in Richards' "Rolling Stone" interview of 1971). I mean, it's told in so much bios of the Stones that there has to be a kind of first source.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home