Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Who - Quadrophenia Reissue
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 12, 2009 12:52

From this month's Uncut - forthcoming releases:

Title : Quadrophenia Special Edition.
Label : EMI Release Date TBC.

40th birthday plans aplenty for The who's Mod opera.

PETE TOWNSHEND: "I would love to see an orchestrated version of Quadrophenia. I would love to do a surround-sound version of the original recording. Roger is keen to take the 1996 Quadrophenia on the road again one day and I'd like that too. I'm genuinely excited about the British theatrical production of Quadrophenia [that debuted in Febuary 2008] because the people involved really understand the essential poetry of the story. In a rock piece, if you try to overcook the story, the dramatic narrative, you might break its very spine. I have on my table really firm offers to do all kinds of wonderful things. Right now I have about 40 new pieces of music, and about the same number of lyrics/poems floating around." [MB}.

"40th Birthday" means 2013, because the album originally came out in 1973.

Re: OT: The Who - Quadrophenia Reissue
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 12, 2009 13:32

Dates for the Quadrophenia theatre production:

[www.ents24.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 12, 2009 16:02

Nikolai
Roger is keen to take the 1996 Quadrophenia on the road again.

Of course they're keen. With guest vocalists, Roger only has to sing every other song. Pete, with 17 other musicians onstage, can relax and strum acoustic.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 12, 2009 16:14

The Quadrophenia show I saw in Buffalo in 1996 still ranks as the best show I have ever seen by any band.

Roger, Pete, John, Rabbit Bundrick on keyboards, Simon Townsend on most leads, and Zak Starkey showing he is the real deal....guests were Billy Idol (as the Bellboy) and Gary Pedophile Glitter as the aging Rocker (he was horrible...no voice, huffing and puffing to keep up....but I guess that is part of who he was supposed to be).
Mixed with a video narrator and newsreel clips, and a powerful performance from the band it was great.

BUT....it was almost 13 years ago...John was in the band...and Roger still had a voice (even then he was on the edge of being challenged).

Date: January 12, 2009 18:32

I saw Quadrophenia at Earls Court in 1996. Although it was another "big band Who/Who on ice" production, I thought it was way better than the 1989 tour. I think, if they take it out on the road again, Pete will play electric though. It might even be a more stripped down version of the '96 tour too.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 12, 2009 18:38

Nikolai
PETE TOWNSHEND: "... the people involved really understand the essential poetry of the story."

bwa-ha-ha!!

a great album, but there's "an essential poetry to the story"?--come on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-13 01:59 by cc.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 12, 2009 23:33

Hmm. Very odd. I mentioned before on this site that a mate of mine has the job of writing the notes for The Who Sell Out double CD reissue - basically the mono and stereo mixes plus outtakes that were on the 95 reissue and a few more bits and pieces. He said, in November, that there were no plans to bring out a beefed up Quadrophenia. This was on the cards about 10 years ago but other projects got in the way. The Who Sell Out double CD is scheduled to come out in March.

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: January 13, 2009 00:18

Is there going to be a deluxe version of Odds & Sods?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 13, 2009 02:12

There already is a deluxe version of Odds and Sods...very good too!

Date: January 13, 2009 02:16

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I have the remastered, expanded one from the 90s, I meant a deluxe version like the other Who deluxe versions, as in 2 cds.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 13, 2009 04:06

buffalo7478 - I saw the show in Worcester Mass and I was disappointed. Having Simon do the electric guitar dragged the show down in my opinion.

Date: January 13, 2009 11:14

whitem8
There already is a deluxe version of Odds and Sods...very good too!

You mean the remastered, expanded version which came out in 1996? A single CD? There are - reportedly - plans for a deluxe, 2 CD edition of Odds & Sods, with additional outtakes. These will probably be stuff which has been found since.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 13, 2009 11:30

Yeah, I have the mini LP replica, Jap import...very expanded, with the very cool studio version of Young Man Blues. An expanded double CD would be great. But dammit, there never is a definitive version released of this stuff and you keep having to shell out more and more cash... the price of being a fanatic!

Date: January 13, 2009 13:53

Bring on more 'OO!

Date: January 13, 2009 15:40

whitem8
Yeah, I have the mini LP replica, Jap import...very expanded, with the very cool studio version of Young Man Blues. An expanded double CD would be great. But dammit, there never is a definitive version released of this stuff and you keep having to shell out more and more cash... the price of being a fanatic!

Great fans think and spend alike! I've got the Japanese mini lp too, which is a beauty. (Actually, I've got all the Who mini lps - plus the SHMCDs too ...).

The reason Odds & Sods is being reissued as a double is because they've located a few missing outtakes, and they're rounding up stuff which hasn't made it onto CD yet, or which has but has gone out of print. No idea when this will be out.

The Who Sell Out is coming out as a double CD in March (I think) - stereo and mono versions, and there is a rumoured DVD of Rockpalast 81 and Maximum R N B in the works. I was hoping they'd put out an album of the Kenney Jones era tours from 1979-81, but that won't happen.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 13, 2009 16:07

Eventually, every note they ever played will be available for purchase.

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: January 13, 2009 17:05

It's such an OLD beast of a project, and I feel it will "collapse" on it's own weight !

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 13, 2009 17:13

I want the album that has that song where Roger goes YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH in it.

Date: January 13, 2009 17:49

tatters
Eventually, every note they ever played will be available for purchase.

A lot of it is already available for theft. grinning smiley

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 13, 2009 21:38

Where Roger goes YEEEAAAHHH!? Well, Who´s next...it sure isn´t me!

Date: January 14, 2009 00:41

Thanks for the info Nikolai. Any chance/news of other deluxe versions coming out?

Date: January 14, 2009 10:28

Dark Horse 77
Thanks for the info Nikolai. Any chance/news of other deluxe versions coming out?

I think it's just Who Sell Out in March and Odds & Sods sometime down the line. Pete has recently said that after Sell Out, he's basically not paying any attention to the back catalogue. Pete always does this sort of thing - says one thing this year, then does the opposite the following year.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 14, 2009 11:13

DVD of Rockpalast 81 - a superb gig!!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 14, 2009 12:44

"I've received word from the BFI that they will be having a special
showing of Quadrophenia: The Movie at the BFI Southbank Theatre this
Saturday (Jan. 17). Following the screening, Robert Elms (BBC London) will
host a Q and A with Franc Roddam and Phil Daniels, sharing anecdotes and insider
information on the making of the film. For more information or to order
tickets please visit: [www.bfi.org.uk];

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 14, 2009 13:49

Funnily enough they recently found, in a junkyard (I think) the scooter used by the main character Jimmy in the film.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: January 14, 2009 14:01

terraplane
Funnily enough they recently found, in a junkyard (I think) the scooter used by the main character Jimmy in the film.

Hi TP,

According to the following you are spot-on...

"Collector blows £36K on scooter from mod classic Quadrophenia

Jan 11 2009 By Steve Dinneen

A MOD-for-it movie fan has paid s36,000 to buy the iconic scooter from classic film Quadrophenia.
Tony Cochrane says he will put the bike in pride of place in his Retro Rooms nightclub in Aberdeen.
The Lambretta - ridden by Phil Daniels' character Jimmy Cooper in the film - fetched the British record price for a scooter at Bonhams auctioneers in London.
It is the latest of memorabilia dealer Tony's celebrity buys.
He has already bought and sold a pair of knickers worn by Madonna in the film Body of Evidence for s1000.
Other buys include the diary room chair from Big Brother 3 - bought for s4000 - and a 5ft sword used by Mel Gibson in Braveheart, worth s7000.
But Tony says the Lambretta - which cost s139 when new in 1967 - is his best buy yet.
The scooter is being stored in Dundee but will be moved to its new home tomorrow. Tony said: "I was involved in promotion for Quadrophenia back in 1979 and I've organised soul and mod nights in my clubs over the years, so when the scooter come up for auction, I jumped at it.
"It's a beautiful bike - one of a kind. I've collected memorabilia for years but this is definitely my favourite piece and I suppose it should be for the price.
"I've sold quite a few things but I'll be keeping hold of this one."
Quadrophenia, released in 1979, was inspired by The Who's doubl album of the same name. The drama centred on the clashes between Mods and Rockers in Brighton in the early 60s.
Ex-Eastender Daniels is seen riding the scooter before crashing it and stealing another bike belonging to The Face, played by Police singer Sting.
Andy Gillard, the editor of Scootering Magazine said, "Some may say that it's a lot of money to pay for a simple Lambretta but you've got to remember that this is also an iconic vehicle.
"It's a piece of British cinema history and, importantly, has been bought by someone with a genuine interest having been inspired by Quadrophenia as a youngster.
"I'm delighted that the scooter is staying in the UK."
Tony owns a string of nightclubs, including Club Tropicana and the Retro Rooms in Aberdeen, and the Private Eyes chain of strip clubs.
He booked Take That to perform in his clubs before they were famous, paying them just s20 each a night.
Bike is one of a kind..I'll be keeping hold of it

Collector Tony Cochrane

SUNDAY EMAIL

s.dinneen@sundaymail.co.uk"

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 14, 2009 14:12

Great to see a fan got it. Anyway, the movie was great and the album was simply magnificent.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 14, 2009 14:18

terraplane

"you've killed me fahkin' scoot-ah!"

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: January 14, 2009 15:23

I wish that Rolling Stones were as interested in their reissues as the Who, Genesis and others when it comes to taking part in the remastering and remixing process and also supply us with bonus tracks from the recording sessions. I also would like them, like Pete T, to say that they would love to do surround-sound versions of the original recordings. Imagine....

Mats

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home