Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
The Wembley (or anywhere else) Ultimate 1982 Thread
Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 7, 2009 20:30

Does anyone out there have any memories, recollections, strange experiences or critical opinions of the Stones' two-night stint at Wembley back in June, 1982?

I’ll start the ball rolling with a ridiculous report by NME’s Barney Hoskins in which he reminds us all of how utterly vindictive the British music press had remained towards the Stones during the post-punk era:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-08 22:27 by LOGIE.

Re: The Wembley 1982 Thread
Date: January 7, 2009 20:42

Perhaps as you would expect, the Sunday Times reporter was much more sedate:

: :

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 7, 2009 20:48

If that Barynks had been right Keef would riff "She´s under my Thumb" aged almost
90 next tour.

But if he do so in 2023 also ,well done !

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: January 7, 2009 21:05

Just read this post, and had some more or less generic 82 stuff lying close,too tired to search the house for the more specific gigs, so here you go:

©mickijaggeroo -www.stonesvikings.com 2009

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-07 21:07 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: January 7, 2009 21:08

And let's not leave out the Sunday Mirror's wonderful coverage:

...or this picture from the News Of The World:

Date: January 7, 2009 21:09

mickijaggeroo
Just read this post, and had some more or less generic 82 stuff lying close,too tired to search the house for the more specific gigs, so here you go:

©mickijaggeroo -www.stonesvikings.com 2009

Great stuff!

Keep it Coming!

Date: January 7, 2009 21:29

LOGIE

Great stuff!

Keep it Coming!

Thanks, but there´s stuff spread all over the house, and I don´t have the energy right now...,

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 7, 2009 22:40

For those of us who reason or other skipped the concerts, there is a taste of it:

- Doxa

Date: January 7, 2009 22:43

And some more: "She's So Cold" - jeez - what a beautiful mess - is Charlie drunk or what??

- Doxa

Date: January 7, 2009 22:49

And this is for that "Hosey Barynks" @#$%& of NME with love:

- Doxa

Date: January 7, 2009 22:50

...and here's some nice Wembley pics taken by Philip Kamin from The Last Tour (Sidgwick & Jackson):

Date: January 7, 2009 22:51

Mick all coked up winking smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: January 7, 2009 22:54

Logie, did you like it?

- Doxa

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 7, 2009 23:23

I remember reading Hoskyns' review in the NME at the time and thinking that it was about as funny as a death at a birthday party. 27 years hasn't changed my opinion. Prick.

And folks, watch the clip of 'She's So Cold' that Doxa posted. Did you see Keith punch Ronnie in the face for missing a cue? Does Ronnie at any time LOOK like a man who's just been punched even off-camera?

You didnt see it?? Thats because, despite Nick Kent's ludicrous and oft-repeated claim to the contrary that it occurred during this very song at this very show, it didnt take place. Out of a 72,000 crowd, he's the only person, including the band themselves, who seemed to see it happen.

On a personal note, these SHOULD have been my first Stones concerts. I was unlucky in the postal ticket application and then again for the shows that were announced soon afterwards in Bristol and Newcastle. Saw them at Slane instead.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 8, 2009 00:28

Yo Gazza - Happy New Year to you and yours, compadre!

Anyway, went to both nights. My first Stones gigs. I thought they were great. In fact, I'd seen The Who there two years before and I preferred The Stones gig.

I was about four rows away from the stage, and no , I didn't see Keith lump Ronnie either time. It didn't happen. That much I remember. Plus the balloons. And the usual drunken punch-ups and shoving that used to happen at gigs I went to back then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-08 00:28 by Nikolai.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 8, 2009 01:41

My 1st stones show......an incredible night (26th june).

I was obsessed with Keith at the time and watched his every move .he NEVER hit Ronnie.
I was in the crush ,slightly to the left of centre.

was lucky enough to see them again at leeds a month later. Almost a different band when they came back in 89.

sc uk

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: January 8, 2009 02:01

I've seen this pic labelled as the first Wembley show. Can anybody confirm wether it is indeed from that show?

Photographer unknown...

Great thread by the way! This is what it's all about!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-08 02:17 by Britney.

Date: January 8, 2009 03:58

Another great shot

Photographer unknown...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 8, 2009 04:01

this shot is on at least one boot cd cover, cant remember which though, excellent shot btw

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 8, 2009 04:02

Get all the available Wembley 82 footage in great quality at Urbansteels post-
What Makes The World Go Around (I think!)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 8, 2009 04:20

Britney
I've seen this pic labelled as the first Wembley show. Can anybody confirm wether it is indeed from that show?

Photographer unknown...

Doesnt look like it going by the clothes.

Mick's red and white striped pants are the 2nd night. Thats the one that has the 50 minut pro shot video footage. The first clip Doxa posted is from a news clip from the first show.

Regarding the video footage of the 26/6/82 show. That first circulated in late 1983, I think. Someone bought the master for something like £500 and ran off about 100 copies and sold them for around £45 each. An incredible amount of money at the time.

Date: January 8, 2009 04:29

Gazza
Britney

Photographer unknown...

Doesnt look like it going by the clothes.

Mick's red and white striped pants are the 2nd night. Thats the one that has the 50 minut pro shot video footage. The first clip Doxa posted is from a news clip from the first show.
Mmmh well the pant and red shirt match with the clip posted by Doxa. Jagger did change jackets during the show.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 8, 2009 04:53

Under My Thumb which on the dvd I mentioned is from the 6-25-82 Wembley show(bonus song-all other songs are from the 2nd show on the 26th) The pants DO look pretty much the same but use your own judgement.

Date: January 8, 2009 10:30

straycatuk
My 1st stones show......an incredible night (26th june).

I was obsessed with Keith at the time and watched his every move .he NEVER hit Ronnie.
I was in the crush ,slightly to the left of centre.

was lucky enough to see them again at leeds a month later. Almost a different band when they came back in 89.

sc uk

(Bold by me). Indeed. Watching and listening to clips - the band makes mistakes with huge percent all the time - nothing seem to work in teh beginning "She's So Cold" - but they still roll - but just watching the impressions in face of Bill and how they interract with each other - I mean musically - they are a like big one organ, breathing rock and roll. And all of it is up to five members of the band - they carry the whole thing olely by their own groove as a 'proper' rock and roll should do. They NEVER be the same again. The contrast is HUGE compared to 1989/1990 tour. I can understand why some people even prefer the safe and sure, professionalized Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle band to the insecure, shakey, druggie band of 1982 but my opinion is that something CRUCIAL was lost during teh 80's. As far as I am concerned, The 'true' Stones never survived the bloody decade. They went in as the greatest rock and roll band of the world and came out as the most expensive Rolling Stones cover band there is. Of course there would be wonderful mements and shows from 1989 on, but something that I sense in those Wembley clips is gone - it is SO CLEAR to me that I almost cry...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-08 10:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: January 8, 2009 11:57

My first Stones shows....

FRIDAY: By far the better show, performance-wise, not really done justice by the old "Make The World Go Round" vinyl boot. I was there when the gates opened despite a tube strike and ran for a place right at the front of the stage. Waited for hours for the Stones to come on in the pouring rain.
Still just behind Brixton as my favourite Stones show I've attended.

SATURDAY: Performance-wise not as good, great atmosphere though and I went with a large 'party' group. Better weather although I was exhausted from the lively FOS experience the night before!

Date: January 8, 2009 12:04

Has the "Make The World Go Round" vinyl boot ever made to a CD-R transfer? I recall some moons ago Silkcut announced an attempt but as far as I know it has never seen the light of day...

Yeah the playin was sloppy at times but they sure rocked.

Date: January 8, 2009 12:07

Orbit
My first Stones shows....

FRIDAY: By far the better show, performance-wise, not really done justice by the old "Make The World Go Round" vinyl boot. I was there when the gates opened despite a tube strike and ran for a place right at the front of the stage. Waited for hours for the Stones to come on in the pouring rain.
Still just behind Brixton as my favourite Stones show I've attended.

SATURDAY: Performance-wise not as good, great atmosphere though and I went with a large 'party' group. Better weather although I was exhausted from the lively FOS experience the night before!

Yes indeed, I remember the tube strike being on that friday - the buses were packed after the show and we walked back into town as far as Marble Arch. As a couple of friends couldn't get to Wembley due to the lack of trains (and they weren't around for the saturday show), myself and a mate went up there on the Saturday and showed the unused friday tickets at the box office pleading to be let in due to the travel problems of the day before......guess what, they let us in!!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: January 8, 2009 12:34

The photo of the last bow (which was unusal at the time) is from Pete Still photography who sold 90 pics from the second show.

My first two Stones shows, on the coach up on the second night people thought I was made for going twice in two days, 120 shows later....

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 8, 2009 12:34

My recollection of this show is that THOSE were the days that you could take photographic equipment in, I remember I borrowed a 300mm zoom lense off my then girlfriend's father, and of the innumerable shots I took, 5 were reasonable when not taken up to larger than 10 x 8 ... so they're framed, together with the ticket stub.

To remind myself of that "era" I periodically watch "Lets spend The Night Together" by Hal Ashby, and I don't know if others would agree, but off ALL the tours the Stones have ever done, and of ALL the openers they've ever employed, that use of Under My Thumb as the opener in 1981/82 is for me pretty much unsurpassed, I think it's up there with the best ever.

Date: January 8, 2009 13:05

On with the show, "Brown Sugar" from the latter:

- Doxa

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home