Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Altamont '69 - audio sources ?
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 6, 2009 09:49

ok - just downloaded the "new" lower-gen audio source from Altamont.
It's the best yet and includes a slightly longer intro to MR...

The person who put this recording up reckons it's a mix of 2 tapers which can be seen from the movie (a blonde guy, and a long-haired guy).
I have my doubts.
I believe this has definately been recorded from up close to the stage, but there are moments in the movie where one of the "tapers" seems to be without his microphone.

In any case it's intruiging finding out if there are any other completely different tapes of this show - are there 2 different sources from the above "tapers" ?

There's a tape of the earlier bands from Altamont - this one seems slightly further back from the stage ?? Is this the same tape as the common Stones performance one?

Does anyone have any other recording info from this show ??

There's also a radio broadcast of most of the concert, plus the common soundboard sources...

Obviously the holy grail would be the Maysles video/soundboard version....but it would be interesting to hear different sources of this incredible show.

Thanks

Re: Altamont '69 - audio sources ?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 6, 2009 12:18

Can somebody put this gig up on Hot Stuff please.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: January 6, 2009 13:34

Eleanor Rigby:

Does this recording contain the full version of JJF, rather than the well-known recording which starts mid-first verse?

Date: January 6, 2009 13:38

it misses the first bar at the start but contains the full song...well 99.9% of it.

i would put it on hot stuff if someone told me how to do it...?? They are flac files.

Date: January 6, 2009 15:50

JJF is also much clearer on this tape....you can now hear some Mick Taylor trills (faintly, if you listen closely) in the last verse of JJF and during the end of the song. This song is heavy Keith on all sources...

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: January 6, 2009 18:32

Thanks. It's no surprise that on JJF Keith would be heavy on all tape sources - I remember being there and not even being able to hear much of Charlie on that opener; it was all Mick and Keith.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: January 6, 2009 21:35

Eleanor Rigby wrote

i would put it on hot stuff if someone told me how to do it...?? They are flac files.

[www.sendspace.com]

x down on the left.upload,then mark the key you got,copy it and then past here,,

Date: January 6, 2009 21:36

paste here

Date: January 8, 2009 15:24

unfortunately it takes forever on my isp...i simply can't do it...

er

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: January 9, 2009 14:11

May I suggest you mail a CD to UrbanSteel? He'll be happy to upload I'm sure.

Cheers,
WLY.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: January 9, 2009 18:47

If you look on page 321 from Bill Wyman's book Rolling with the Stones you can see the blond haired "taper". He is in the top right hand corner of the pic. You can clearly see the mic in his right hand and the black and grey tape recorder in his left hand. He is not to be confused with the other blond guy with glasses at the front of the stage, with hair parted on the other side.
The dark haired recorder can be seen in same pic on page 320. The black guy in white hat is clearing a path to the large speaker being used as a monitor by the Stones. Now look on page 355 middle pic and you can now see the dark haired guy at the front with his mic and cord hanging over the speaker.
Every picture tells a story!!!!

Date: January 11, 2009 14:29

so do you think the common tape of this show is a combination of these 2 tapers from the front rows ??? OR from only one of the sources ?? that's what I'm getting at. I find it strange that this source would be a combination of the 2 tapers...

could there be 2 tapes of this show ?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 11, 2009 16:46

THe tape used by VGP for "The Killer Festival" seems to be from one source. I have a 3rd gen copy of the tape I got from a long time trader years ago and it
pretty much matches the cd except that the JJF intro is complete on the tape and theres a little more between some tracks. But this tape(while very listenable) doesnt seem like it could have been recorded from that close but I may be wrong.
I've seen a disc offerred on one boot site on the TAKR(??)label that claims its
a "stage aud recording". Could that be this tape with the mic hanging over the monitor?

Date: January 11, 2009 18:03

please post it on hot stuff ????????

Date: January 11, 2009 18:34

Stones Blah, thanks for pointing this out. I never take time to really investigate the pics, and besides - I have not picked up Bill's excellent book in ages. Even after you pointed them out I could still not s[pot the recorder in the dude's hand. I see what had to be the mike but it took me a while until I could see the recorder, since I thought it was his shirt.
There have got to be p[eople who see themselves in that picture.
You're right - the black dude seems very much to be making a path for 2nd taper, who looks to be following. I can't believe you spotted him in the other picture @ 355 then. What is amazing is how much the faces have shifted since; you still see the black dude, but others are gone. Most people arte smiling in the main shot.
What is almost baffling is that the Stones end up playing a really good gig from "Under my Thumb" on; they are tough. And also it's remarkable how good the audio is for the boots.

Posted by: dph ()
Date: January 13, 2009 00:02

Stones Blah
If you look on page 321 from Bill Wyman's book Rolling with the Stones you can see the blond haired "taper". He is in the top right hand corner of the pic. You can clearly see the mic in his right hand and the black and grey tape recorder in his left hand. He is not to be confused with the other blond guy with glasses at the front of the stage, with hair parted on the other side.
The dark haired recorder can be seen in same pic on page 320. The black guy in white hat is clearing a path to the large speaker being used as a monitor by the Stones. Now look on page 355 middle pic and you can now see the dark haired guy at the front with his mic and cord hanging over the speaker.

You are correct about the taper being pictured on page 321 of Wyman's book. The other taper in not visible on page 320, as far as I can see. I believe they were working together, and there is only one tape.

Page 335 is Hyde Park which has nothing to do with Altamont. Not the same people, I'm sure.

Date: January 13, 2009 00:08

dph - he says page 355, not 335. That one is still Altamont, LOL

Posted by: russr ()
Date: January 13, 2009 00:40

Where did you download them from? I'd like to go get.

Thanks!

Posted by: dph ()
Date: January 13, 2009 01:02

Palace Revolution 2000
dph - he says page 355, not 335. That one is still Altamont, LOL

My bad. I was in too much of a hurry at the time.

Anyway, I think the pic on page 355 shows a shadow of the mic stand in front of the monitor, not the mic and cord.

Date: January 13, 2009 01:52

DPH, I think it is a cord. The shadow of the mike runs on the floor of the stage. You can see the taper hangin over the speaker, sort of holding the cord. Plus there is no connection between the shadow on the amp and the mike.
But hey - it's not my cause here. I just like investigating these old photos

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: January 13, 2009 16:41

(Just bumping this thead to the top again...)

I'm sure many of us here would like to listen to the bootlegs, if the link could kindly be posted?

many thanks

WLY

Date: January 13, 2009 17:59

yes please post it here,,

it's merge stereo ???????????

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 13, 2009 19:43

WeLoveYou
I'm sure many of us here would like to listen to the bootlegs, if the link could kindly be posted?
many thanks

Here's the link to the torrent: [www.thetradersden.org]

It's not a "bootleg" though, it's an upgrade to the "bootlegs"

Didn't get to listen to this recording before today - and it sounds nicer than the previous versions....including the "bootleg" of course. Historical material....deserves an official release in SBD quality

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 13, 2009 20:12

Stones Blah

Maybe Rockman has this scan of these pages to post so that we can all have a look at it.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 13, 2009 20:18

scottkeef
THe tape used by VGP for "The Killer Festival" seems to be from one source. I have a 3rd gen copy of the tape I got from a long time trader years ago and it
pretty much matches the cd except that the JJF intro is complete on the tape and theres a little more between some tracks.

Scottkeef, for the record, when you say "3rd gen copy" are you saying that it is a copy of the copy of the original tape?

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: January 13, 2009 20:53

A person on this very list put together the definitive version, blending both audience tapes with the soundboard to make the complete show, other than that irritating beginning to JJ Flash. But, we are onto a new source, and may well have to do it again!

JR (wringing his hands in anticipation!)

Date: January 13, 2009 21:06

a good idea .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!is to blend both audience and soundboard of hyde park,,

and do merge stereo,,

Date: January 13, 2009 21:18

vancouver
a good idea .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!is to blend both audience and soundboard of hyde park,,

and do merge stereo,,

Not a merge stereo, but the same guy I mentioned above did put the whole show together. Its out there.

JR

Date: January 13, 2009 21:26

on hyde park we got a lot of sb ..& aud ,,

i donĀ“t have audience of hyde park ,,but i will give it a try to do merge of that,,,,if i got the audience sorches,some day,,?

the will be pefect to blend aud sb ,"i'm yours she's mine,,,

Date: January 13, 2009 21:37

My friend did a NICE job with it, after the new DVD came out with the extra songs. Should be over on the Hot Stuff page.

JR

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1165
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home