Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: John Phillips - Pay Pack And Follow
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: January 8, 2009 17:43

Surely they could've been prepared to look more appealing. The photos on "Pay, Pack and Follow" just seem to be private snapshots. They show the whole mess that would've been glamourised or edited out on real cover shots. And it's no big surprise IMO, as the intended album never got a proper release (at least not at the time).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-08 17:45 by Greenblues.

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: January 8, 2009 19:21

Greenblues
Surely they could've been prepared to look more appealing. The photos on "Pay, Pack and Follow" just seem to be private snapshots. They show the whole mess that would've been glamourised or edited out on real cover shots. And it's no big surprise IMO, as the intended album never got a proper release (at least not at the time).

When YOU'RE the KING, is ANYONE around you...that you hire...going to tell you the Truth ?

It's a Junkie's World, and EVERYTHING LOOKS NORMAL...AND SOUND'S JUST...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT !

No one wants the merry go round to stop...that will mean the party is over !

Play it to the END...Play it out to the End !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-08 19:23 by stonesmusicfan.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 4, 2017 02:17

Just listening to this in the first time in a decade or more.

Just struck me how similar Oh Virginia is to Dead Flowers/Winter, although it's all pretty derivative I suppose.

But it's great to hear Keith's guitar, and a sweet Mick Taylor solo. Mick J sounds pretty into it on some of the tracks.

Looking back at these old posts, it seems to get pretty trashed. But I think it catches some pretty groovy mid-70s Stones essence.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 4, 2017 07:54

peoplewitheyes

Just struck me how similar Oh Virginia is to Dead Flowers/Winter, although it's all pretty derivative I suppose.

But it's great to hear Keith's guitar, and a sweet Mick Taylor solo. Mick J sounds pretty into it on some of the tracks.

Looking back at these old posts, it seems to get pretty trashed. But I think it catches some pretty groovy mid-70s Stones essence.

Oh Virginia is by far my favorite cut on that record and the only one I revisit. I would’ve much preferred Keith or Mick to do the lead vocals though – when John got Mick Taylor back in the same room with the Glimmer Twins he should’ve excused himself and let them jam like it was 1972. As you say, Taylor’s solo is sweet but John gets in the way of what could’ve been a Sticky Fingers moment. Still a nice tune of course. And the album is worth owning if only for the liner notes in which John pats himself on the back for managing to get Mick Taylor to ‘play over his head.’ I'll bet Taylor never forgave him for that...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 4, 2017 15:39

what did John Phillips mean by that remark?

i've never listened to that album, i have to admit..

Stuff I've read about John Phillips is very troubling.

Date: August 4, 2017 16:10

Swayed1967
peoplewitheyes

Oh Virginia is by far my favorite cut on that record and the only one I revisit. I would’ve much preferred Keith or Mick to do the lead vocals though – when John got Mick Taylor back in the same room with the Glimmer Twins he should’ve excused himself and let them jam like it was 1972. As you say, Taylor’s solo is sweet but John gets in the way of what could’ve been a Sticky Fingers moment. Still a nice tune of course. And the album is worth owning if only for the liner notes in which John pats himself on the back for managing to get Mick Taylor to ‘play over his head.’ I'll bet Taylor never forgave him for that...

Was Mick Jagger in the same room?

Here is the original thread

More info about the album and Taylor, Mick and Keith's involvement here (Scroll halfway down).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-04 16:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 4, 2017 19:29

I just re-listened to this album ( P,P&F) the other day, because I referenced it recently in some other thread. I like lots of the music a good bit. But it always sounds like it should have been so much better. The songs are there, and the personnel is most surely there.
But the photos, and then JP's own accounts tell us very much why it stalled at a xertain level. We are probably fortunate to get even what we got.
Those damn pics...I can not get over. I can just smell those rooms, and that bed. And I never forgot JP's essays in RS, about his drug years; in detail about soaking the Desoxyns overnight, and adding the K4s in the morning. Once it was time to record I'd say he was distracted.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: August 4, 2017 20:40

I have on cd.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 5, 2017 03:30

This is a smack album with a coke chaser. Some wonderful opioid slithering slide. And some wonderfully croaking vocals from Keith, Mick, and John. There is a haze of death floating around the grooves of this album. Excess, depravity, and total anarchy. Drug lords that society cannot control. That is why it probably wasn't released when they finished it. And because John lost the tapes... I wonder what Mackenzie would say about this album?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home