Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: New boot, "Training Wheels", anyone heard it?
Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: January 21, 2009 11:55

Any Link for Download ? ..

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: January 29, 2009 16:22

On the Rocks Off tracker:

Training Wheels (Social Graces 001/002)

Air Studios, Monserrat, West Indies - March 29th to May 5th, 1989

Disc 1 (43:24): Blinded By Love, Terrifying, Continental Drift (Instrumental), Break The Spell, Can’t Be Seen, For Your Precious Love, Fancyman Blues, Slipping Away (Instrumental)

Disc 2 (39:42): Rock And A Hard Place, Ready Yourself, Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions, Almost Hear You Sigh, Giving It Up, Hearts For Sale, Hold On To Your Hat

When the eighty minute long Steel Wheels sessions were introduced several years ago, it represented only about half of what was available. A well known collector wrote on the Hotwacks website that we need to be patient for even more material. Two years later it has surfaced on Training Wheels on the new Social Graces label. Eighty more minutes of outtakes are on these discs and are infinitely more interesting than those that came before. Many of the takes on the earlier tape were minor variations in the mix, but these date much earlier in the sessions with well known songs in a much more primitive state of development. The sound quality isn’t as good as on the earlier tape but is still excellent.

The tape begins with Mick saying to Keith “let’s do it” before Keith counts in and they play “Blinded By Love.” At this early stage the song lacks the organ and fiddle in the instrumentation but has acoustic guitar, bass and drums. Mick slurs many of the words and Keith joins in loudly during the chorus and the song ends with some banter. This is followed by a rehearsal of “Terrifying” with the same basic instruments as the final version but with Jagger slurring through an early draft of the lyrics. “Continental Drift” is the basic rhythm instruments but lacking lyrics and the Moroccan overdubs.

“Break The Spell” begins with a short tune up and count in. It sounds the same as the other versions but the vocals are buried very deep in the mix. “Can’t Be Seen” follows and is a longer run through than on the earlier tape. “For Your Precious Love” is a second run through of the Jerry Butler cover. It is slightly longer than the more polished version on the other tape. This also includes a count-in and played in a different key. ”Fancyman Blues” differs with a different Chuck Leavell piano melody and the first disc ends with a beautiful instrumental version of “Slipping Away.”

“Rock And A Hard Place” has a count-in and lacks horns and female backing singers. Both the commercial version and the alternate mix on the earlier tape is the most slickly produced track on the entire album, but this outtake is more guitar oriented and is driven by the funk bass line. Jagger gives a basic vocal take including instructions and encouragement throughout. The outtake “Ready Yourself” on the earlier tape is purely instrumental but at this early stage includes lyrics sung by Richards. “Sad Sad Sad” and “Mixed Emotions” are both at a primitive stage with different vocal tracks and lack the slick production on both Steel Wheels and Monitor Mixes.

An excellent revelation is “Giving It Up,” a song known to have been demoed at the time but never surfaced until now. Like much of the material it is an interesting mid-tempo ballad with Mick on vocals but it never advanced past this stage. However it is great to finally hear the song and there are several other songs known to be recorded at Monserrat which haven’t surfaced yet including “Sweet Thing,” ”Three Oceans,” “When I Get To Thinking,” “You’ve Got Some Nerve,” “Hot Line,” “Hang On,” and “Gangsters Moll.” “Sweet Thing” and “Hang On Tonight” (aka “Hang On To Me Tonight”) were later used by Jagger on his solo album Wandering Spirit. The complete running time of the tape clocks in at about eighty-three minutes, just too long to fit onto one CD. If Social Graces were to trim three minutes it would have fit. However it is great to finally have more outtakes from these sessions and hopefully this new label will continue with great Stones releases in the future.

[rollingstones.kicks-ass.org]

Date: January 29, 2009 16:38

Training Wheels is very good. IMO a must have.

Posted by: masseolle ()
Date: January 29, 2009 16:56

I totally agree! It is a must have. Giving it up is really excellent stuff. Sometimes the vocals are a bit low but over all it is really good.Expensive though. I believe that Sister Morphine is coming with their version of it in the near future.

Date: January 29, 2009 17:16

Sister Morphine....rehashing the same shit over and over again....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 29, 2009 17:19

Is SM going to put out a version of this too? Then it will be more avalilable but this aint any retread material-its all new so I dont understand your post.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 29, 2009 17:22

is this up on dime or hungercity yet? (can't log onto those from here)

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 29, 2009 17:34

T&A

Not as of this morning...
Try Rocks Off

thank Deltics for the link at Hot Stuff
but I don't know yet who upped it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-29 17:39 by Munichhilton.

Date: January 29, 2009 17:42

Munichhilton
T&A

Try Rocks Off

i did.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 29, 2009 17:49

So no early working version of Highwire, which was supposedly done for Steel Wheels...

Date: January 29, 2009 17:55

skipstone
So no early working version of Highwire, which was supposedly done for Steel Wheels...

really? certainly, the lyrics couldn't have been developed at that point....

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 29, 2009 18:15

gimme_shelter
Munichhilton
T&A

Try Rocks Off

i did.

Many many thanks gimme_shelter!

Date: January 29, 2009 18:19

Munichhilton
gimme_shelter
Munichhilton
T&A

Try Rocks Off

i did.

Many many thanks gimme_shelter!

you're welcome. Enjoy, as i have, even though the album Steel Wheels still isn't one of my faves.....

Date: January 29, 2009 18:24

Not one of my favorites either-too polished. I think thats why I liked the "Monitor Mixes"better than the official because of the rough edges. But I still dont get your SM reference. I'm not trying to argue with you-just wondered what you meant?

Date: January 29, 2009 18:42

scottkeef
Not one of my favorites either-too polished. I think thats why I liked the "Monitor Mixes"better than the official because of the rough edges. But I still dont get your SM reference. I'm not trying to argue with you-just wondered what you meant?

SM takes recordings that are already out there, boosts the highs and lows and claim its a remaster or better or whatever. Anyways, to each their own.

Date: January 29, 2009 18:49

Apologies,gimme shelter,my dumb a-s didnt read the preceding post to your statement!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-29 18:52 by scottkeef.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 29, 2009 18:50

Thanks for sharing this gimme_shelter, really looking forward in hearing this.

You rock.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 29, 2009 19:47

Downloading it now. Thanks for the info.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: January 29, 2009 22:12

Thanks gimme_shelter!

Posted by: euro'73 ()
Date: January 30, 2009 01:46

I'm listening to it right now.
Goosepimpels.
Thanks to all who made this possible.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: January 30, 2009 01:52

Now available in the Hot Stuff section THX to Urban Steel!!

Date: January 30, 2009 04:24

now uploaded to hungercity as well. thanks to all....

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 30, 2009 10:08

T&A

hungercity

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 30, 2009 10:51

"SM takes recordings that are already out there, boosts the highs and lows and claim its a remaster or better or whatever"

LOL! I've always thought SM were a bunch of crooks with their "carefully remastered" claims... but boosting the highs and lows is what I did to my TW files as soon as I got them yesterday...
(I feel confused but not dazed) ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-30 10:53 by dcba.

Date: January 30, 2009 12:05

dcba
"SM takes recordings that are already out there, boosts the highs and lows and claim its a remaster or better or whatever"

LOL! I've always thought SM were a bunch of crooks with their "carefully remastered" claims... but boosting the highs and lows is what I did to my TW files as soon as I got them yesterday...
(I feel confused but not dazed) ;-)

Actually: that is fine. But just don't sell it like it's a major improvement on what you've downloaded. And that's what "the good sister" does. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 30, 2009 12:23

Not as good as Monitor Mixes, imo.

Date: January 30, 2009 15:10

I actually think it's as good as the first one. If this one had surfaced first, then it would be considered the better one of the two.
The odd thing about this one is how low the volume level is.
At this point, I don't think it is right to 'accuse' SM of anything. There are very little new recordings surfacing; so all labels are essentially doing the same thing over and over. I actually like a lot of SM's releases.

Date: January 30, 2009 16:51

haven't listened to it yet but the person who uploaded to hungercity says that the volume on that one has been brought up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 30, 2009 17:45

"though the album Steel Wheels still isn't one of my faves....."
Imho it's the strongest stuff they've done since the rebirth. I'm not exactly anxious to hear working versions of the B2B sessions (apart from the KR trax : "Thief In The Night" aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh)

Even though I don't think I would have paid full €€€€ for this boot (some cuts are pretty tedious to listen to like the 6.50 of "Mixed Emotions") I hope another bunch of tapes from the "Steel Wheels" sessions surface in 2009
(1989-2009... someone's been hoarding these tapes for nearly 20 years. Christ!)

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-30 18:03 by dcba.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: January 30, 2009 20:42

The version posted by midnrambler at HungerCuty has volume boots and 3 bonus were added!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1967
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home