Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
New boot, "Training Wheels", anyone heard it?
Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 23, 2008 20:20

"The new label Social Graces released Rolling Stones Training Wheels, a two disc set with completely new Steel Wheels sessions. The tracks include:

Disc 1 1. Blinded By Love 2. Terrifying 3. Continental Drift (Instrumental) 4. Break The Spell 5. Can’t Be Seen 6. For Your Precious Love 7. Fancyman Blues 8. Slipping Away (Instrumental)

Disc 2 1. Rock And A Hard Place 2. Ready Yourself 3. Sad Sad Sad 4. Mixed Emotions 5. Almost Hear You Sigh 6. Giving It Up 7. Hearts For Sale 8. Hold On To Your Hat"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just copied and pasted the above text, a couple of things makes me wonder:
Completely new? Two songs I have´nt heard of before, if memory serves me right:
Ready Yourself
Giving It Up

Does anyone here have further info?

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Re: New boot, "Training Wheels", anyone heard it?
Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 23, 2008 20:42

I'm not sure about the ready yourself and the giving it up. A few years ago there was a leaked steel wheels session, and it was great. I hope this is a new one.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 23, 2008 20:45

"Ready Yourself" is on the STEEL WHEELS SESSIONS boot that UrbanSteel uploaded on the Hot Stuff page here at IORR. "Ready Yourself" is another incarnation of the long-gestating track "Brown Leaves"/""Munich Hilton."

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 23, 2008 21:00

What I have "heard" is its on the same quality level as the Monitor Mixes! Supposedly the demos.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 23, 2008 22:31

@Dijon,
Thanks for the info. Haven't been downloading for a while, so I didn't know.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: December 23, 2008 22:48

This is new stuff, rough demos of the songs, NOT what came out last year on many boots label,those were finished and polished songs.

Posted by: django ()
Date: December 24, 2008 00:28

Posted by: Live! ()
Date: December 24, 2008 01:38

mickijaggeroo
...I just copied and pasted the above text...

Why the f u c k don't you post the source????? Just a f u c k i n' link!!!!!

[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: December 24, 2008 01:45

Howsabout that new Altamont tape...

JR

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 24, 2008 04:04

oh yeah!!!! gonna order myself a christmas present from japan tonite baby and its called training wheels

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 24, 2008 17:04

If somebody could torrent this....that would be fantastic!

Date: December 24, 2008 18:01

If I can grab a copy before it gets posted I will send it to Urbansteel!

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: December 24, 2008 19:49

Yes please, i would love to have it to!!!

Date: December 24, 2008 21:55

It's not out yet!

Date: December 24, 2008 22:07

Yeah,but it depends on "who" ya know how quik ya get it! LOL

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: January 11, 2009 01:06

Any news? Can't someone upload it somewhere yet?

Date: January 11, 2009 01:16

The sound quality is EX but this label is putting approx 40 min of music on each disc! The total time is BARELY over 80 min(the original source is on a 90 min cassette). Dont worry though-I'm sure SODD or Godfather will knock it off quik!
Only eight songs per disc and they aint that long!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-11 01:23 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Live! ()
Date: January 11, 2009 02:12

midnrambler
...Can't someone upload it somewhere yet?

You mean for free?

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: January 11, 2009 19:59

Live!
midnrambler
...Can't someone upload it somewhere yet?

You mean for free?
Yes.

[www.giginjapan.com]

Date: January 11, 2009 20:02

I was surprised that it is on 2 discs. It's barely over. But it is surely worth it. Light on the vocals, but a must-have IMO.

Date: January 11, 2009 20:29

I'm not surprised-greedy bootlegers can get more for a 2 cd set!(And you can get a little more than 80 min on a silver disc or since these are demos I'm sure theres some dead space involved)

Date: January 14, 2009 12:37

ROLLING STONES: TRAINING WHEELS 2 CDs

Label: Social Graces 001-02
Source: Air Studios, Montserrat 29th March through 5th May 1989, except for Track 4: recorded at Tangier, Morocco 16th and 17th June 1989. Mixed at Olympic Sound Studios, London 15th May through 29th June 1989.
Format: 2 cds
Running time: 43.24/39.42
Sound source: Soundboard stereo
Packaging: Double Slimline Jewel Case.
By riccar99
Sound: 9 / Packaging 9 / Performance 8.5
TRACK LIST:
Disc 1 1. Blinded By Love, 2. Terrifying, 3. Continental Drift (Instrumental), 4. Break The Spell, 5. Can't Be Seen, 6. For Your Precious Love, 7. Fancyman Blues, 8. Slipping Away (Instrumental).
Disc 2: 1. Rock And A Hard Place, 2. Ready Yourself, 3. Sad Sad Sad, 4. Mixed Emotions, 5. Almost Hear You Sigh, 6. Giving It Up, 7. Hearts For Sale, 8. Hold On To Your Hat.
REVIEW:
The second chapter allegedly from the estate of the Stones roadie that died some years ago and whose widow asked a family friend to digitalize some of her late husband tapes has arrived. Focus is still on Steel Wheels sessions, this time we get tracks from the album in early versions. Not the polished tracks with different mixes (guitars upfront) we got last time from which many boots have come over the years (Monitor Mixes etc.) but these recordings aren’t that primitive as claimed at times. The whole body of each song is there, well defined and most of the times the difference is due to mumbled vocals that appear as if the singer (Jagger but also Richards) hasn’t decided on which lyrics to sing (or maybe has yet to finalize them). Not much difference musically speaking from the finished product or even the previous chapter. This new label Social Graces has decided however not to follow the original album sequence, but starts the first Disc with “Blinded By Love” that does not have the historical pretentious lyrics talking about Mark Anthony ‘s fate but a more evident guitar interchange, possibly with Jagger playing one of them. On “Continental Drift” for instance we hear Charlie Watts tablas and drums and a synthesizer for most of the track, while the instrumental take of “Slipping Away” presents the song just as we know it. “For Precious Love” is certainly the skeleton of the beautiful ballad that stuck everybody on the previously released S.Wheels bootlegs because it lacks the chorus and presents just Jagger guiding vocals. Disc two is more interesting with different lyrics of “Rock And A Hard Place”, the song “Ready Yourself” that was presented as an instrumental before is here sung by Richards. “Sad Sad Sad” has again a different set of lyrics (no elephant in the bathroom here…) and a different version of “Mixed Emotions” that ends with compliments of an engineer after a prolonged acoustic guitar stroll. It seems that also “Almost Hear You Sigh” is a reworked version of the song originally recorded by Keith in 1987 for his solo album; on this song the chorus sings on Watts drums that acquire the strength lacking somewhere in other songs here. Follows a completely new song “Giving It Up” that resembles “For Your Precious Love” as its sudden approach but it develops as a fine soul ballad with great rhythmic guitars over a steady drumming and keyboards in the back underlining the refrain: another mystery on why the Stones never considered this song that remains a hidden gem up to today. The last track “Hold On To Your Hat” begins with a couple of false starts and a laughter by Ron Wood before the band jumps into this fast song, a bit less obsessive than the released version. Artwork is certainly not impressive, replicating the dull official album both on front and back cover design, while the reverse front cover work reminds “Rock And A Hard Place” official single cover, while each disc has the same label design with swirls.
Audio quality is good with great stereo separation, however it is comprehensible that the audio cassette from which these songs come has lost some fidelity over the years: this is what happens to analogue recordings, not that there is evident hiss but a certain lack of depth presents the sound a bit too flat. Too bad it is barely over 80 minutes, since cassette tapes did last 90 minutes maybe there is still something that’s been left over. It is anyway a great discovery and despite the sad circumstance that has allowed this recording to surface we cannot help thinking how many cassettes are still kept in closed drawers slowly fading away year after year. We can call this release a nice surprise and in a world of copycat labels we are quite sure it is only the first of many replicas to come.

Date: January 14, 2009 16:49

I'm just speculating if course but why would there be anything left on this tape (7 min?). Its obvious they already made as strong an effort as they could to stretch it onto a 2 disc set(GREED!)

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: January 14, 2009 17:44

You can put 80mn on a 90 tape, you mustn't necessary fill it until the last minute. The last 10 mn are perhaps silence only.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: January 14, 2009 18:08

I just hope that Social Graces get other tapes...

Date: January 14, 2009 18:23

You have mail!!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: January 14, 2009 18:47

Ive listened to it now. Less audio quality than the Monitor Mixes, but fun, cause it contains false starts, and some in studio talk between the members etc.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: January 14, 2009 18:57

mmmm, is there somewhere to download it, please? Thanks in advance...

Date: January 14, 2009 18:58

So it COULD be edited down 3 min pretty easily??

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 14, 2009 18:58

scottkeef
I'm just speculating if course but why would there be anything left on this tape (7 min?). Its obvious they already made as strong an effort as they could to stretch it onto a 2 disc set(GREED!)

Without knowing the circumstances, I would be careful with easy conclusions, scottkeef. We don't know what the bootlegger actually paid for the tape, and with the limited distributuon of bootleg CDs today, copycat labels and free internet FLAC and mp3 distribution in his neck, I would understand that he's keen to recoup an investment. I would opt for "greed", however, if he actually got the tape for free, only a small amount of money and/or just some free copies of the finished product.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home