Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track talk: Beast Of Burden
Date: September 13, 2011 17:31

71Tele
My favorite track from the Wood Era. A true example of the much-hyped "weaving", (one of the few, really). Everything works here: The sublime guitars, the soulful tempo, Charlie's magical touch on the hi-hat, and one of Mick's greatest vocals. I think because the track is so perfectly balanced, it has never been played as well live, often sounding rushed or sloppy.

Agree, but I think they're pretty close here, although Jagger is growling about in places.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 13, 2011 18:09

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
My favorite track from the Wood Era. A true example of the much-hyped "weaving", (one of the few, really). Everything works here: The sublime guitars, the soulful tempo, Charlie's magical touch on the hi-hat, and one of Mick's greatest vocals. I think because the track is so perfectly balanced, it has never been played as well live, often sounding rushed or sloppy.

Agree, but I think they're pretty close here, although Jagger is growling about in places.

Great version. Is this the one on the upcoming official DVD release?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 13, 2011 19:40

Has Jagger turning into growling something to do with punk music? In 1977-78 punk was big and you can see a lot of punk influences in the 77-78 version of the Stones. Maybe punk destroyed Jagger's voice in the long run?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 14, 2011 15:44

Stoneage
Has Jagger turning into growling something to do with punk music? In 1977-78 punk was big and you can see a lot of punk influences in the 77-78 version of the Stones. Maybe punk destroyed Jagger's voice in the long run?

I don't think so. MJ's "growling mode" began already in 73, hear for example "Brussels Affair" or "The Stars In The Sky They never Lie", e.g. "Gimme Shelter". In contrary the "Philadelphia Special" recordings from 72 or "Leeds" from 71 presents a not growling or modestly growling Jagger. But the concept of punk was unknown in the first half of the seventies I think. So the growling mode has nothing to do with the punk music later, except the Stones maybe influenced some features of the punk culture and also the mode of "singing".

Date: September 14, 2011 15:59

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Great version. Is this the one on the upcoming official DVD release?

Yep

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 14, 2011 23:28

71Tele

i totally agree Tele, this is a sublime studio track but falls flat live every time I've heard it. The mix engineer (chris K.?) had as much to do with that songs great sound as any of the musicians, in my humble opinion. And as much press as the guitar weaving thing gets you'd think the stones invented it. Hardly. It took them till 1978 to even recognize it. The Grateful Dead are even better at it than the stones and I'm not a deadhead per se. peace.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 15, 2011 00:02

71Tele

Ditto.

Every time I hear this song I find something else to love about it.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: September 15, 2011 00:16

I really do like that punk-attitude of SNL

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 10:51

I've noticed that, in Northern California at least, this is one of the most-played songs on the radio by the Stones. It's shown a great deal of endurance, I suppose the main reason they don't play it more live is they realize that they don't do it well live (as many posters note above).

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 13, 2015 12:40

Wonderful song, wonderful marvelous intro, all of the boys are doing great on this one. A true classic.

Date: September 2, 2015 16:55

This is as good as the Stones get. It fits right in on 40 Licks next to the warhorses. I notice it still gets a lot of radio airway and doesn't sound dated at all. One of the last great riffs, and Charlie's drumming is out of this world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-02 17:01 by Turner68.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 2, 2015 17:53

Perfection. And there's only one band in the world who can really play this well. (And obviously only one singer who can really sing it the way it should be sung, although I don't think the Bette Midler version is too bad).

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 2, 2015 17:58

Turner68
I've noticed that, in Northern California at least, this is one of the most-played songs on the radio by the Stones. It's shown a great deal of endurance, I suppose the main reason they don't play it more live is they realize that they don't do it well live (as many posters note above).

I've heard it live('81, '95, '03) and it was wonderful every timeā€¦..didn't expect in '05, caught me off guard. When they got to the call and response part I was so glad they played it!! '03 was really nice also.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 2, 2015 18:13

ryanpow
T&A
chawlie's drumming is the key to the song - and for some reason the drum style reminds me of ringo's in "in my life."

I agree, on the studio version charlies drumming is one of the best parts of this song.

Double snare hit - also used in Walter Egan's fantastic "Magnet And Steel" from summer 1978.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 3, 2015 00:13

cant see whats so good about this song to be honest.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 3, 2015 00:23

The guitars! the guitars! the guitars!

I love this one forever and ever.
I wonder if we'll ever hear the original version with Keith's lyrics.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 3, 2015 00:28

buttons67

Was one of major songs on the Some Girl album, and played a lot on radio back in the day (after initial release). I love the guitars and vocals on it and it seems Mick and Keith worked together on this one to ensure it got played a lot on radio.

Nowadays a rarity on radio today, and perhaps hasn't aged well (not helped by a Bette Midler and Mick Jagger duet version for MTV a few years ago),

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 3, 2015 00:56

nightskyman
buttons67

Was one of major songs on the Some Girl album, and played a lot on radio back in the day (after initial release). I love the guitars and vocals on it and it seems Mick and Keith worked together on this one to ensure it got played a lot on radio.

Nowadays a rarity on radio today, and perhaps hasn't aged well (not helped by a Bette Midler and Mick Jagger duet version for MTV a few years ago),

Whoops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-03 01:12 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 3, 2015 01:12

It may get a bit better than this, but not much better
Love the studio version and also love it played live, only the Stones can make songs like this, they just make it feel good to be alive smoking smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 3, 2015 01:31

I love the tune on the recording.

I also relish any chance to hear it live, however it comes off that day.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 3, 2015 02:04

Elegance from The Stones? Who'd a thunk that? Brilliant.

Rod

Date: September 3, 2015 02:24

nightskyman
buttons67

funny how radio play varies by geography. in northern california i'd say it is one of their top 3 most played songs over the past 5 years.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 3, 2015 03:33

Turner68
nightskyman
buttons67

funny how radio play varies by geography. in northern california i'd say it is one of their top 3 most played songs over the past 5 years.

Only rarely played in NYC area.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 3, 2015 03:39

Thanks to 50 Shades Of Grey is easily on their Top 5 of download/stream songs now with Gimme Shelter, Paint It Black, Wild Horses and SFTD.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 3, 2015 17:23

It's about the only acceptable song on Some Girls, though the "pretty, pretty girl" passages are weak and childish.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 3, 2019 06:04

I finally listened to the 8-track version - it's just less edited than the LP version and fades out later! Nice little extra line in there.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: September 3, 2019 14:00

kleermaker
It's about the only acceptable song on Some Girls, though the "pretty, pretty girl" passages are weak and childish.

...the only acceptable song on Some Girls.... ???????

Some opinions here are soooo strange, that I doubt some even are into the same thing here.

But its a forum and I have to learn to accept that.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 4, 2019 11:41

Tough enough rough enough
I ain't to blind to see...uh. hear.
Smooth . Funksy. Wonderfully engaging.,
Obviously a "cut" above ....
Super radio hit to this day..,

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 5, 2019 00:34

I really enjoy the lyrics.

And even so, I've thought about if and how they could be rewritten for a female to sing them, sincerely.
Yes, Bette Midler did it but she had Mick for her partner in the number.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-05 01:37 by angee.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2019 05:18

My girlfriend LOVES this song... so I've been hearing it, and listening to it, a lot more than I ever have since the 1980s with SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES and REWIND and later on with JUMP BACK and FORTY LICKS and, of course, SOME GIRLS.

It really is a great song.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home