Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track talk: Beast Of Burden
Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: December 16, 2008 19:27

Gazza
georgeV
DandelionPowderman
It's good, but I think Keith should start playing the signature riff again...

Did you hear his version from the O2 Arena? You probably wouldn't be saying this if you had!

A lot of reviews seemed to slag that version off. I was there that night and absolutely loved it.

We could not tell what he was playing and Even the band did not know what he was playing when he started with the opening chords. When the song ended, he replayed the opening as if to say...see I do remember how to play it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-16 19:28 by georgeV.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 16, 2008 19:31

You can't hear the acoustic guitar in this song? You can hear the cowbell in Start Me Up right?

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 16, 2008 22:07

Jagger sold this song so well on the 78 tour. That tour holds my favorite live version of the song. I didn't like Watt's annoying sax during the 81 tour and the later versions lack Richards' distinctive guitar sound of the 78 tour.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: December 16, 2008 23:16

Arguably the best track from Some Girls, this beautiful, soulful ballad, benefits from a superb Jagger vocal and a wonderfully paced, deliberately over-loud rhythm section.

It is perhaps because of the song's over-reliance upon such perfect timing however, that it has never quite hit the mark when performed live (78 versions excepted).

The same could be said for Almost Hear You Sigh; another classic demanding care and attention, and which on no occasion, should ever be rushed.

Posted by: René ()
Date: December 17, 2008 08:45

Anybody any comments on the lyrics, especially the lyrics from the live version?

Studio 8-track version:
"I'll never be your beast of burden, be your slave, take your curses
All I want is for you to make love to me"

Live version:
"I don’t want you washing my clothes
I don’t want you changing my baby’s diapers
I don’t want you to come into my kitchen
I don’t want you to buggin’ on me, yeah
All I want, all I want, all I want, all I want, is you to make love with me"

René

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 17, 2008 16:45

skipstone
You can't hear the acoustic guitar in this song? You can hear the cowbell in Start Me Up right?

Date: December 18, 2008 11:44

The live version from 1981's lyrics are horrible.

The whole thing is horrible. It's SO BAD I have opted to no load it on my media player to make Still Life one more track long.

I was amazed they worked on it for inclusion for the live album and then smartly used it for a, I'm guessing, barely bought single.

Date: December 27, 2008 18:33

Barn Owl
Arguably the best track from Some Girls, this beautiful, soulful ballad, benefits from a superb Jagger vocal and a wonderfully paced, deliberately over-loud rhythm section.

It is perhaps because of the song's over-reliance upon such perfect timing however, that it has never quite hit the mark when performed live (78 versions excepted).

The same could be said for Almost Hear You Sigh; another classic demanding care and attention, and which on no occasion, should ever be rushed.

Excellent post.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: December 27, 2008 19:07

I've always loved Beast of Burden too ....
Geat song and quite similiar to Start Me Up also.

They both have that almost missing beat sort of thing,
the space where no one plays and lets the song breath and live ...
Pure magic

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 27, 2008 19:23

Beast of Burden is one of my favorites. Great gutar weaving. Mick's vocal style really fits this song. I believe this is a Keith song he also held Almost Hear You Sigh ten years later for Mick to sing rather than put it on talk is cheap.

Love the version on the Four Flicks bootleg section.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: December 28, 2008 00:53

i feel that :

the song really writes itself,
could not be any other way
drags the boys on during the song, through its definite lines
great song

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: December 28, 2008 01:07

Not an absolute fav, but I always thought it was really well constructed. Daryl Hall does a version on his website Live From Daryl's House with somebody named Kevin Rudolph. Not bad, farily faithfull to the original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-28 01:31 by mckalk.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 12, 2010 03:11

An absolute classic, one of the best Stones tracks of the late 70's. Ridiculously overplayed by classic rock radio (with good reason), but it still manages to retain its magical charm.

A timeless riff from Keith, meshing perfectly with some of Jagger's finest vocals in recent memory, BOB manages to strike the perfect balance between gentle and hard.

You can put me out on the street, put me out, with no shoes on my feet... Who can resist it?

Drew

Date: September 12, 2010 06:42

Yes, between this track (the edit version preferred) and Streets Of Shit, of course, this track. Blows it away by a BP plume.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: September 12, 2010 06:52

Another mid tempo gem by the mid tempo masters ... I rank Beast Of Burden as the greastest Ron Wood track with The Stones and also rank it As one their best studio moments on record. It's Keith's riff and chord progression. Great work by the rhythm seccion. This vibe by Bill and Charlie could be heard on their live performances of other mid tempo tunes like Tumblin Dice, Just My Imagination, etc... Credit Chris Kimsey for a great mix.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 3, 2010 07:03

As good as this track was on Some Girls, it was eclipsed live on the 78 tour. Simply killer extended versions. The band was never better with this one. Those who don't have the brilliant Handsome Girls set, it is a must have. These recordings are some of the finest in the Stones library. Beast of Burden is just one of the great tracks from this collection.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 3, 2010 15:44

one of the greatest tracks they have ever done.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 9, 2010 03:53

Rip This - My sentiments exactly!!!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 12, 2011 20:57

Best version of Beast of Burden?

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 12, 2011 22:29

Gazza
Ringo
I've read that the only songs Keith wrote on Some Girls, were Beast of Burden and Before They Make Me Run.

That would be about right...

Nope -Keith wrote the music for Shattered as well.

Mathijs

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 12, 2011 22:54

Ringo
I've read that the only songs Keith wrote on Some Girls, were Beast of Burden and Before They Make Me Run.

The chorus is Keith's, and the riff, but the verses are all Mick. I've always thought these lyrics were some of Jagger's most naked and vulnerable.

whitem8

'Fantastic soul/r&b track. One of my favs off Some Girls. It just has everthing going for it. The beautiful weaving guitars, the subtle acoustic low down in the mix. Mick's urgent pleading testifying vocals full of angst. And bright crisp production, with Charlie just snaping that beat along. Love the '78 live version, but not too fond of the sax in the '81. Live Licks version is pretty good too....and what about the acoustic version from the Stripped outtakes? That is pretty cool as well!'

Excellent post!
To me, this song is poignant because it's MIck and Keith at the end of their respective relationships with Bianca and Anita. They're both mourning the inevitable ends from their different perspectives.... and it comes together so beautifully.
I remember i used to listen to this on 8-track on an old stereo where I could separate channels (remember those?). I would alternate listening to it on the one channel where I could just hear the guitars and the weaving....and then I would listen to the vocal track. I agree this song works on all levels. From Keith's soulful riff, his interplay with the rhythm, Jagger's urgent lyrics and vocals to the way CHarlie does that drum thing after 'in love enough...'
It just flows beautifully and its the song that non-Stones fans tend to love.

And one underestimated aspect of the song is Bill. The the way Bill shifts, in the second verse, the bass line to make the guitar chords sound like a minor 7...giving it a meloncholy feeling. Just listen to the first few bars of this song, then the first verse, and you can just feel the song take on an emotional urgency with the bass line walking up rather than going down with the chord progression. Beautiful.
It's a post-Exile classic that has stood the test of time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-12 23:05 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 12, 2011 23:03

A wonderful song, in every way. I agree that the sax solo on the live versions ruins it and takes something away from the spirit of the song. The more stripped down the better on this one. Alas, we'll never hear it stripped down again sad smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 13, 2011 03:28

Rockman

BOB .......

Stu lookin pretty studly here, I wonder what ALO was thinking when he booted this fellow?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 13, 2011 08:43

Mathijs
Gazza
Ringo

Mathijs

Three pretty good ones, eh? On some days Beast of Burden is my favorite song in the world. loudei's discussion of the timing and related Stones songs I think gets to the heart of the matter, but beautiful performances by everyone really.

Date: September 13, 2011 12:04

The timing, the perfect sound, the performance and the songwriting make this one an absolute classic, imo. Easily on my top three list of Stones songs.

But Keith should begin to play the whole riff again, when playing it live.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 13, 2011 13:29

TeddyB1018
Mathijs
Gazza
Ringo

Mathijs

Three pretty good ones, eh? On some days Beast of Burden is my favorite song in the world. loudei's discussion of the timing and related Stones songs I think gets to the heart of the matter, but beautiful performances by everyone really.

And according to Mick, he wrote Lies and Faraway Eyes together with Keith.

Mathijs

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 13, 2011 14:47

One of the most simple and most marvellous songs ever written in rock history. My favorite song at all (not only Stones-related). An invitation to guitar improvisation and interweaving. The chord progression has a magic character. Best versions 94/95 (smooth) and 81/82 (rough). There is no piece of music which I've heard more often.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 13, 2011 14:54

sad smiley

I'm not sure if it's even on my top 50 list of Rolling Stones Songs....I doubt it...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 13, 2011 16:23

Anonymous User
Beautiful track. Would love them to open their shows with it. It'll never happen...

why not?..they opened with Honkey Tonk Women.....that was a surprise....would be an interesting opening in a club setting...the guitars are unmistakeable right from the start.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 13, 2011 17:28

My favorite track from the Wood Era. A true example of the much-hyped "weaving", (one of the few, really). Everything works here: The sublime guitars, the soulful tempo, Charlie's magical touch on the hi-hat, and one of Mick's greatest vocals. I think because the track is so perfectly balanced, it has never been played as well live, often sounding rushed or sloppy.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1676
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home