Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track talk: Beast Of Burden
Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: September 5, 2019 08:06

Great song 78 was probably the best but I loved the version on the movie lets spend the night together Mick is great of course but Keith is unbelievable - just love it !

Date: September 5, 2019 10:27

angee
I really enjoy the lyrics.

And even so, I've thought about if and how they could be rewritten for a female to sing them, sincerely.
Yes, Bette Midler did it but she had Mick for her partner in the number.

Mick was credited as "arranger" for Bette's version, but what did he do, exactly? He didn't sing, and I doubt he had any say in how the guitar arrangements were, as they were somewhat more complex than that of what The Stones used to do.

I'm just curious, as I know very little of this smiling smiley

Re: Track talk: (**Reggae Vs.**) Beast Of Burden
Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: November 1, 2020 06:57

Reggae Vs. - Beast of Burden

To my knowledge I've never heard this or known of it's existence.

2LP Keef live solo (Discogs):
TRS - Soul Survivor. GLC Great Live Concerts – KR Solo

Can someone clarify/enlighten?

Or better yet, post the Reggae version if possible?

Thanks in advance for the feedback etc.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-02 05:09 by KevinM.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 1, 2020 20:51

Great song! The single track that brings Some Girls together as being (I feel) a fantastic album!

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: November 1, 2020 23:08

Best stones song ever.
Its not any known nusic style. It's not rock, It's not pop, It's not reggae...
Magical chaotic guitars makes whole painting

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 1, 2020 23:20

It’s Curtis Mayfield vibe at its best

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 2, 2020 00:05

This might indeed be their best song. It's a radio staple and always feels fresh.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 2, 2020 00:10

Fantastic tune - easily in the top 50 greatest Stones tunes of all time...maybe #34 on my list.
The Some Girls album wouldn't be quite the same without it.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: November 2, 2020 05:10

KevinM

Does anyone have info on this? (Reggae version)

Date: November 2, 2020 11:29

KevinM
KevinM

Does anyone have info on this? (Reggae version)

I suspect it's mislabeled as "reggae", and that this is the version (Because of the selection of the rest of the songs).

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-02 11:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 2, 2020 12:13

Time has been very kind to this gem. According to the statistics in Spotify, "Beast of Burden" has turned out to be one of their most listened songs nowadays. With its admirable way over 200 million streams, it holds the position of six in their all-time chart (losing only to "Paint It Black", "Satisfaction", "Gimme Shelter", "Sympathy For The Devil" and "Start Me Up" in that order). That's more than twice the streams of "Miss You" (#12) that once was the super hit from the album. It also means that "Beast of Burden" is their most listened 'ballad', winning "Angie" (170+ m, #7) and "Wild Horses" (150+ m, #8).

Not that "Beast of Burden" was a true winner when it was released, but probably many would not have predicted then that in the long run (or more precisly: in future) it would more popular than such signature classics as "Brown Sugar" (#9), "Honky Tonk Women" (#11) or "Jumpin' Jack Flash" (#13).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-02 13:31 by Doxa.

Date: November 2, 2020 12:21

It's up there in top 5 or 6 quality-wise among their best tracks, too, imho.

Date: November 2, 2020 12:54

DandelionPowderman

Funny - and a good - thing is that the Stones setlists doesn't quite represent the popularity of the songs. If they would they should play "Beast of Burden", "Angie" and "Wild Horses" in every gig, and for example, kick "Midnight Rambler", "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" and "Tumbling Dice" (or even "Miss You" or "JJ FLash") out of the regular set. Thankfully, the criterion is different than sheer popularity in Spotify (which, I think, like it or not, gives a rather accurate representation of 'casual fan' taste nowadays)... Probably they play, say, "Rambler" because they like playing it and it has a certain hardcore fan appeal, and it 'works' by Jaggerian pragmatic criterion (the audience responds very well and offers a certain variety to the list, a'la "Miss You" does). What goes for those highly popular slow songs, they seem to have them in rotation, just playing about one of them per gig, since Mick sees that too many slow songs is not good for the flow of the concert (or something). So it is hard for a ballad to get a 'war horse' status...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-02 13:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: November 2, 2020 12:55

It's just one of those tracks...When you think of what makes a song a typical Stones track, it's much easier to pin down songs like Start Me Up and Brown Sugar with Keith's tunings, Charlie's beats etc... But Beast Of Burden is for me one of the best examples that there's this other world of Stones cuts that are much harder to define, but they are as iconic and special. I still haven't heard another band doing such a thing and I don't know what this special ingredient is. Is it the mixture of Country, Soul and Rock or the way the songs are written? What I know is that it took exactly those people to produce such sounds together, it's the combination of all elements.
But yeah, for me when I'm noodling around with the guitar I find it much easier to write a song that resembles Brown Sugar sound wise, than Beast Of Burden for example...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 2, 2020 13:01

DandelionPowderman

It really worked well during the VooDoo Lounge Tour.

Date: November 2, 2020 13:12

Another thought: It seems that these other kind of iconic Stones songs like Beast Of Burden, No Use In Crying or Think I'm Going Mad were released after Ronnie arrived. Maybe he was more influential for Mick and Keith than we think? Because even when I can not really define what makes these songs iconic Stones tunes as a whole, some of the elements I find in those tracks are very much present on Ronnie's earlier solo albums: Mystifies Me, I Got Lost When I Found You, Breathe On Me, Fountain Of Love...
Many layered guitars, not defined which one plays lead and which one rhythm, mostly ballads with a soul based groove but often more country flavored melodies (except Fountain Of Love), the way the songs evolve elegantly...those are some of the elements I find quite similar.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: November 2, 2020 13:27

When they played this at the first O2 show in 2007 it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Date: November 2, 2020 13:29

MonkeyMan2000
It's just one of those tracks...When you think of what makes a song a typical Stones track, it's much easier to pin down songs like Start Me Up and Brown Sugar with Keith's tunings, Charlie's beats etc... But Beast Of Burden is for me one of the best examples that there's this other world of Stones cuts that are much harder to define, but they are as iconic and special. I still haven't heard another band doing such a thing and I don't know what this special ingredient is. Is it the mixture of Country, Soul and Rock or the way the songs are written? What I know is that it took exactly those people to produce such sounds together, it's the combination of all elements.
But yeah, for me when I'm noodling around with the guitar I find it much easier to write a song that resembles Brown Sugar sound wise, than Beast Of Burden for example...

So true. To define a 'typical Stones sound' or 'what makes The Stones sound like the Stones' is a pretty difficult thing to do. The ideas of reducing all that to Keith's Open G riffings sounds like a lazy text book definition, since they are so much more than that... I mean, just look at that top ten in Spotify I roughly described above (that also happens to cover all the Stones songs having more than a million streams). There are only two examples of that 'pure' textbook examples of Stones sound: "Start Me Up" (#5) and "Brown Sugar" (#9). Probably we should add "Satisfaction" (#2), since it provides an original example of riff-based Stones 'signature song'. But then we have songs like "Paint It Black" (#1), "Gimme Shelter" (#3), "Sympathy For The Devil" (#4), "Beast of Burden" (#6), "Angie" (#7), "Wild Horses" (#8) and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (#10), which all offer a pretty variant of different sounds in a rather wide musical spectrum. But they all sound like The Stones, and taken the popularity and iconic status of them that's the idea people in general associate with the Stones.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-02 13:31 by Doxa.

Date: November 2, 2020 13:41

Doxa
MonkeyMan2000

So true. To define a 'typical Stones sound' or 'what makes The Stones sound like the Stones' is a pretty difficult thing to do. The ideas of reducing all that to Keith's Open G riffings sounds like a lazy text book definition, since they are so much more than that... I mean, just look at that top ten in Spotify I roughly described above (that also happens to cover all the Stones songs having more than a million streams). There are only two examples of that 'pure' textbook examples of Stones sound: "Start Me Up" (#5) and "Brown Sugar" (#9). Probably we should add "Satisfaction" (#2), since it provides an original example of riff-based Stones 'signature song'. But then we have songs like "Paint It Black" (#1), "Gimme Shelter" (#3), "Sympathy For The Devil" (#4), "Beast of Burden" (#6), "Angie" (#7), "Wild Horses" (#8) and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (#10), which all offer a pretty variant of different sounds in a rather wide musical spectrum. But they all sound like The Stones, and taken the popularity and iconic status of them that's the idea people in general associate with the Stones.

- Doxa

It really is amazing. But that‘s the beautiful thing about these guys ...they make songs that are fundamentally different but that are still being recognized as somehow belonging to a common „sphere“ and at the same time they make the rigorous and petty focus on genre definition and categorization seem laughable.
The musical equivalent of Keith‘s ‚citizen of the world‘ statement from a couple of days ago :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-02 13:43 by MonkeyMan2000.

Date: November 2, 2020 14:08

MonkeyMan2000
Another thought: It seems that these other kind of iconic Stones songs like Beast Of Burden, No Use In Crying or Think I'm Going Mad were released after Ronnie arrived. Maybe he was more influential for Mick and Keith than we think? Because even when I can not really define what makes these songs iconic Stones tunes as a whole, some of the elements I find in those tracks are very much present on Ronnie's earlier solo albums: Mystifies Me, I Got Lost When I Found You, Breathe On Me, Fountain Of Love...
Many layered guitars, not defined which one plays lead and which one rhythm, mostly ballads with a soul based groove but often more country flavored melodies (except Fountain Of Love), the way the songs evolve elegantly...those are some of the elements I find quite similar.

Good points. Ronnie's influence can be direct or indirect. For the former, I think he simply offered his own song sketches, riffs and ideas, and sometimes Mick or Keith, or both, picked up them and made original Stones songs out of them (that sort of 'soulfulness' or 'funkiness' typical to Ronnie's early solo albums can be traced as a novelty in Stones albums from BLACK AND BLUE to UNDERCOVER or DIRTY WORK). For the latter, for example, in LIFE Keith said that he started to write songs Mick Taylor in mind (whatever that means, but I would think that means something like leaving enough room for Taylor's lead guitar while taking himself more care of the riff and rhythm base). I could easily imagine that similarly Ronnie affected later to Keith's way of writing. As Keith has been generally vocal about, it is the interaction between musicians that is important to him, so the others, we can conclude, had naturally an effect to him.

That said, "Beast of Burden" is really a shining example of 'twin' guitar work of Keith and Ronnie. Both being so 'rough' by nature, but they complete each other so beautifully and naturally that the outcome is such a sensitive treasure.

- Doxa

Date: November 2, 2020 14:21

MonkeyMan2000

It really is amazing. But that‘s the beautiful thing about these guys ...they make songs that are fundamentally different but that are still being recognized as somehow belonging to a common „sphere“ and at the same time they make the rigorous and petty focus on genre definition and categorization seem laughable.
The musical equivalent of Keith‘s ‚citizen of the world‘ statement from a couple of days ago :-)

"It's same shit, man" as Keith once protested against strict categories between musical genres...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 2, 2020 14:24

such a pretty...pretty...pretty...little song...from Keith...but lets face it Jagger's vocal performance is so in the pocket that it elevates the song to one of their greatest...a great example of the sum of the Rolling Stones parts....can't discount Ronnie Woods guitar interplay and Charlies smooth drums...one of their best ever

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 2, 2020 15:16

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

What goes for those highly popular slow songs, they seem to have them in rotation, just playing about one of them per gig, since Mick sees that too many slow songs is not good for the flow of the concert (or something). So it is hard for a ballad to get a 'war horse' status...

- Doxa

I do believe that security might also be an issue why they do not play too many slow songs. If you dim the lights a bit it seems more difficult to ensure the security. I got this feeling at a concert back in 2006 when they did not play one single ballad. Of course ballads might be harder to present in a stadium but what else would prevent them playing one from time to time? Other artists also Play ballads, and it won't interfere with the flow of the concert.

Date: November 2, 2020 15:24

saltoftheearth
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

What goes for those highly popular slow songs, they seem to have them in rotation, just playing about one of them per gig, since Mick sees that too many slow songs is not good for the flow of the concert (or something). So it is hard for a ballad to get a 'war horse' status...

- Doxa

I do believe that security might also be an issue why they do not play too many slow songs. If you dim the lights a bit it seems more difficult to ensure the security. I got this feeling at a concert back in 2006 when they did not play one single ballad. Of course ballads might be harder to present in a stadium but what else would prevent them playing one from time to time? Other artists also Play ballads, and it won't interfere with the flow of the concert.

They were living on the edge on the UJ-tour, then - with three ballads in a row smiling smiley

Date: November 2, 2020 20:30

DandelionPowderman

I suspect it's mislabeled as "reggae", and that this is the version (Because of the selection of the rest of the songs).

[www.youtube.com]

I pretty much like anything these dudes come up with, since once upon time ago a 'some kind of chemical reaction' happened, which screw up my brains for good and I just can't resist that sound in any of its incarnations... but then occasionally jewels like these pop up, and one can clearly hear the true brilliance there... One can feel the magic coming out of Keith's fingers, the sort of a touch of genius happening like in the case the immortal riff of "Gimme Shelter"... Original, authentic and irrestible... Reminds me of what Charlie once said about making "Honky Tonk Women" that he felt like they better not to fvck that thing up, since there is an exceptional gem there (even Charlie would recognize...).

And like with "Honky Tonk" they did not: the band altogether treats the potential sketch so fine, and Mick takes Keith's guide melody and key words, puts all of his persona there, and transforms it to the whole another dimension, and ends up sounding like the whole thing is all his brain child. That's The Glimmer Twins at their peak, Keith doing something magical, and inspired Mick continues there. At the very best cases, like with "Beast of Burden", the results are simply immortal and universal, catching about every ear no matter the time or place... No 'trained' fan ear is much needed...

A sad thing to note out is that "Beast of Burden" starts to be if not the last one but among the last ones of such Jagger-Richards gems in which the 'magic' truely happens (some TATTOO YOU gems doesn't count) - surely they have come up many great songs since then, but the results are pretty mortal compared to their peak doings...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-02 20:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: November 2, 2020 20:48

It might just be my favourite Stones song, equally brilliant live or in the studio. Brilliant versions are Texas 1978, Hampton 1981, Paradiso 1995. I'll never, never, never be!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 2, 2020 21:30

One of their top tracks for sure. It's one of those songs that's so good, they kind of transcended themselves on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-03 01:07 by ryanpow.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 2, 2020 22:00

saltoftheearth
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Security is why they don't play slow songs? That's hilariously absurd!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 2, 2020 22:03

Probably the best guitar playing of the Ronnie Wood era and certainly one of their greatest tunes ever.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 3, 2020 00:46

[www.youtube.com]
Juice - Beast of Burden (Rolling Stones Cover)

Nice touch with the violin

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home