Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No PPV Stones in the UK?
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 11, 2008 14:50

AFAIK, neither Sky nor Virgin Media have ever carried live PPV Stones shows in the UK, despite this being common in other parts of the world. Anyone know why this is?

Re: No PPV Stones in the UK?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 11, 2008 14:52

I don't think we've ever had a PPV concert in the UK, only sports such as football and boxing.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: December 11, 2008 15:22

Father Ted
AFAIK, neither Sky nor Virgin Media have ever carried live PPV Stones shows in the UK, despite this being common in other parts of the world. Anyone know why this is?

unpallatable truth is, few would be interested.

Date: December 11, 2008 15:34

Is watching two grown men punch each other senseless more popular than the Stones?! Oh dear....

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 11, 2008 15:44

They considered some kind of globalised PPV concept back in 1981 (which was to include the UK) but alas, it fell through.

Here's how NME reported it:

...and Rolling Stone:
;

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: December 11, 2008 16:03

I asumed part of the issue was UK is almost always at the back end of a world tour - would beaming a show over from, say, New York or Florida in Autumn/Winter/Spring soften demand for tickets when the 'rael thing' arrives (usually in summer)

Date: December 11, 2008 16:12

Thanks Logie, great to read your old news clippings..but am not surprised to read that the Stones got greedy and shot themselves in the foot.

Date: December 11, 2008 16:15

I was thinking that they could do a PPV live at the same time as a UK show. They do US, South American and Japanese PPV shows which seem to have no effect on later ticket sales. Maybe they impose the same conditions on say Sky as they did in the news reports Logie posted? They are no doubt greedy b@stards!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 11, 2008 17:59

Silver Dagger
I don't think we've ever had a PPV concert in the UK, only sports such as football and boxing.

Barcelona 1990 was shown on Sky Movies, which was a premium/subscription only channel. They showed it twice in August 1990. This was the first time a Stones concert was ever shown on a 'pay TV' channel in Europe, I think. It was prerecorded and shown in edited form in several other countries too (the UK version had a couple of different/extra songs). In most cases, the broadcast date was a couple of days after the Stones played their final show in that country of that tour (In the UK it was shown two weeks before the tour closer at Wembley - however those shows had been postponed from July 13 & 14)

Bremen 1998 - which came just before the end of the '98 Euro tour - was shown live all over Europe and parts of Africa, with the notable exception of the British Isles. The reason was probably because the UK shows scheduled for that year had been postponed until 1999 and I guess the Stones - regardless of the fact that 220,000 ticket holders had been inconvenienced - didnt want to spoil the 'surprise' by giving them a preview of the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-11 19:07 by Gazza.

Date: December 11, 2008 19:09

yorkshirestone
I asumed part of the issue was UK is almost always at the back end of a world tour - would beaming a show over from, say, New York or Florida in Autumn/Winter/Spring soften demand for tickets when the 'rael thing' arrives (usually in summer)

I would have imagined that the probable effect of a show being broadcast on TV would be exactly the opposite - ie, it would HELP demand for tickets.

Its worth mentioning that - with regard to the press clipping Logie posted above - the Rod Stewart LA Forum concert which took place on the same day as the Stones Hampton 81 telecast - WAS shown on TV in the UK shortly afterwards. Hampton was never broadcast in the UK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-11 19:12 by Gazza.

Date: December 11, 2008 19:13

Father Ted
Is watching two grown men punch each other senseless more popular than the Stones?! Oh dear....

Of course it is.

Anyway, the Stones Hampton '81 show kinda had a similar outcome, only with a telecaster.

So, you got two for the price of one.

Date: December 11, 2008 20:51

Gazza
Silver Dagger

Barcelona 1990 was shown on Sky Movies, which was a premium/subscription only channel. They showed it twice in August 1990. This was the first time a Stones concert was ever shown on a 'pay TV' channel in Europe, I think. It was prerecorded and shown in edited form in several other countries too (the UK version had a couple of different/extra songs). In most cases, the broadcast date was a couple of days after the Stones played their final show in that country of that tour (In the UK it was shown two weeks before the tour closer at Wembley - however those shows had been postponed from July 13 & 14)

Bremen 1998 - which came just before the end of the '98 Euro tour - was shown live all over Europe and parts of Africa, with the notable exception of the British Isles. The reason was probably because the UK shows scheduled for that year had been postponed until 1999 and I guess the Stones - regardless of the fact that 220,000 ticket holders had been inconvenienced - didnt want to spoil the 'surprise' by giving them a preview of the show.

The 1990 Bracelona show was also shown on New Years Eve on BBC1 or 2 in 1990. I had it on VHS for years (but no longer).

Date: December 11, 2008 21:16

Lol!

Well, if I was in charge of PPV events at Sky, I'd be on the phone asking if it was possible to screen all of those old shows in the UK. But then I am biased.

Years ago, I did record LSTNT off Channel 5. That's had an official release, certainly plenty of copies on eBay. Probably down to who owns the various rights. Still, seems odd to me that you would record a show like Hampton..only to never screen it. Why go to all the effort to record it in the first place?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 11, 2008 21:19

The Stones with Rick James?
That would be superfreaky
Glad it fell through on that end

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: December 12, 2008 02:23

Sir Craven of Cottage

The 1990 Bracelona show was also shown on New Years Eve on BBC1 or 2 in 1990. I had it on VHS for years (but no longer).

Yeah, i remember that. I watched it on NYE eve and after that i wore my vhs copie down for the next year or so :-)

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: December 12, 2008 13:03

There are so many channels now but could they afford to pay enough to show this stuff?

I heard that Hampton was broadcast to a cinema in London at the time. Now cinemas are alot smaller so less money coming in.

Date: December 12, 2008 14:12

Sir Craven of Cottage
[The 1990 Bracelona show was also shown on New Years Eve on BBC1 or 2 in 1990. I had it on VHS for years (but no longer).

the subsequent PPV shows from Miami '94, St Louis '97 (I think) and Bremen '98 have all been shown on 'free' TV in the UK (eg BBC) but in edited form (ie, 90 minutes or so). Sky's broadcast of Barcelona in 1990 however was a 'first run' exclusive and only available to Sky Movies subscibers.

Father Ted

Years ago, I did record LSTNT off Channel 5. That's had an official release, certainly plenty of copies on eBay. Probably down to who owns the various rights. Still, seems odd to me that you would record a show like Hampton..only to never screen it. Why go to all the effort to record it in the first place?

Eh? Hampton WAS screened. In North America. It simply wasnt made available anywhere else.

Date: December 12, 2008 14:15

Wasn't Hampton broadcast live? i.e. the recording of the show was never rebroadcast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home