Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Back To Zero
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 2, 2023 23:11

I wasn't referring to your opinion rolling1us, but the track itself.

Posted by: rolling1us ()
Date: January 2, 2023 23:13

Yeah, i understood that.
But it is, as always, a question of personal taste.

A song i truly don't like on the DW album is "fight".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2023 01:11

bakersfield
I can't for the life of me see what's wrong with it...

Good groove, decent hook.....one of the few songs on the album where some of the production elements help the song...allowing that it was the 1980's....

I like the words too- especially the 'I prefer to rot, I don't wanna pop' couplet. Concise and witty. Compared to the 'yellow and jello/wits and tits' rhyme we got 2005 it's practically Shakespeare.

'Back to Zero' would have improved Side 2 of Undercover..

Please take that back, we're trying to start a peaceful 2023.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 3, 2023 01:29

I count this song as being part of the 'good half' of DW, the music as well as the lyrics.
(The other half of DW is pretty awful, both musically and lyrically.)

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 3, 2023 01:35

matxil
padre69
I would REALLY like to hear someone to make a good cover version of this. And Winning Ugly, too. To show me I've just been stupid all these years and haven't heard the brilliance that lies deep down in the core of these songs.
And while we're at it, the same for Sweet Neocon and Infamy, please.

I am with you on Winning Ugly. It really is a good song but it gets ruined by the awful 80s sound. Especially - of course - the bass and the drums. With a Exile on Main Street approach, this song would have been wonderful.

But for the other songs you mention, there's just no solution. Back To Zero suffers mainly from the 80's sound too, but without the 80's sound (keyboards, and other gimmicks) there's nothing left. It's just elevator-Mel-and-Kim-supermarket-80's-muzak. Sweet Neocon suffers so badly from the lyrics that it's impossible to listen to. And the same goes for Infamy/In-for-me. Both are very very very terrible, but not as bad as Back To Zero.

And while we're at it, two other classical "awful" songs: Gomper is much better for the first part (I am still not sure, did they nick the melody from Velvet Underground's Lady Godiva or is the other way around?), quite nice actually, before it becomes a trainwreck and Streets of Love isn't so bad really.

The only other song that can really compete with the abysmal awfulness of Back To Zero is Sing Together (See What Happens). And since I am not able to listen to either of those songs entirely in one go, I call it a draw.

Are you serious?!!
OMG eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-03 01:36 by KRiffhard.

Date: January 3, 2023 03:12

KRiffhard
matxil
padre69
I would REALLY like to hear someone to make a good cover version of this. And Winning Ugly, too. To show me I've just been stupid all these years and haven't heard the brilliance that lies deep down in the core of these songs.
And while we're at it, the same for Sweet Neocon and Infamy, please.

I am with you on Winning Ugly. It really is a good song but it gets ruined by the awful 80s sound. Especially - of course - the bass and the drums. With a Exile on Main Street approach, this song would have been wonderful.

But for the other songs you mention, there's just no solution. Back To Zero suffers mainly from the 80's sound too, but without the 80's sound (keyboards, and other gimmicks) there's nothing left. It's just elevator-Mel-and-Kim-supermarket-80's-muzak. Sweet Neocon suffers so badly from the lyrics that it's impossible to listen to. And the same goes for Infamy/In-for-me. Both are very very very terrible, but not as bad as Back To Zero.

And while we're at it, two other classical "awful" songs: Gomper is much better for the first part (I am still not sure, did they nick the melody from Velvet Underground's Lady Godiva or is the other way around?), quite nice actually, before it becomes a trainwreck and Streets of Love isn't so bad really.

The only other song that can really compete with the abysmal awfulness of Back To Zero is Sing Together (See What Happens). And since I am not able to listen to either of those songs entirely in one go, I call it a draw.

Are you serious?!!
OMG eye rolling smiley

With and "exile on main street approach", this album would never have been made.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 3, 2023 03:38

For years and years, "Back to Zero" and 'Dirty Work' as a whole were my least favorite moments in the band's recorded history.

As time has gone by, 'Voodoo Lounge' is now my least favorite album but "Back to Zero" remains my least favorite track.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 3, 2023 06:55

Least favorite Stones track! Right behind it are several others from the album, Dirty Work, Hold Back, Fight, Winning Ugly. I'll say that Had It With You is not terrible, but not very good either, I'm always surprised how much people seem to like that one.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 3, 2023 10:19

KRiffhard
matxil
padre69
[...]

Are you serious?!!
OMG eye rolling smiley

Just listen to the first 20 seconds and try to imagine it without the 80s sound: groovy bassline, cool guitarlicks and Jagger entering the song confident and cool.
Unfortunately, the 80s sound ruins it.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: January 3, 2023 12:08

Crap!

It's like a soundtrack for a bad comedy movie from the 80s! Those awful 80s keyboard and percussion sounds...confused smiley

Date: January 3, 2023 23:55

Surprisingly enough after listening to it again I would not say that I love the song but...I could give a chance to it.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 3, 2023 23:58

Weird how a lot of old posts from over a decade ago are being resurrected these past few days!

Date: January 4, 2023 00:14

Winning Ugly is worse than I remembered. That whole intro is brutal.

THANKS! This will now end up an 'earworm' and I'll wake up at 3 in the morning with, "WE'LL BE WINNING...WINNING...WINNANNG...UGLY!".

Just bloody great!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 4, 2023 00:22

treaclefingers

THANKS! This will now end up an 'earworm' and I'll wake up at 3 in the morning with, "WE'LL BE WINNING...WINNING...WINNANNG...UGLY!".

Just bloody great!

Blame yourself, treacle! We were here discussing a non-disputed classic from DIRTY WORK, and you went and picked up a wrong song from the album...

- Doxa

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 4, 2023 04:05

matxil
KRiffhard
matxil
padre69
[...]

Are you serious?!!
OMG eye rolling smiley

Just listen to the first 20 seconds and try to imagine it without the 80s sound: groovy bassline, cool guitarlicks and Jagger entering the song confident and cool.
Unfortunately, the 80s sound ruins it.
[www.youtube.com]

perhaps someone with the skills and the software could get rid of some of that 80's production and post it on youtube

that i'd like to hear

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 4, 2023 04:08

also slightly off topic how many of you would pay for a remixed dirty work with the dated 80's stuff toned significantly down?

and do you think if the remix was well done that it would change in any major way your view of the album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-04 04:10 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 4, 2023 05:01

ProfessorWolf
also slightly off topic how many of you would pay for a remixed dirty work with the dated 80's stuff toned significantly down?

and do you think if the remix was well done that it would change in any major way your view of the album?

I'd be for it.

Although some of the songwriting is poor the mix alone could improve the songs overall. But that could be an issue in terms of what all was recorded - and not mixed into that we are aware of - that could improve whatever.

But, as an example, if a majority of DIRTY WORK's songs had something similar to TALK IS CHEAP mix and EQ wise... who knows. This is literally shining a turd but if it could be shined, well, why not.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 4, 2023 11:54

GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf

I'd be for it.

Although some of the songwriting is poor the mix alone could improve the songs overall. But that could be an issue in terms of what all was recorded - and not mixed into that we are aware of - that could improve whatever.

But, as an example, if a majority of DIRTY WORK's songs had something similar to TALK IS CHEAP mix and EQ wise... who knows. This is literally shining a turd but if it could be shined, well, why not.

Well, if you as a dedicated DW hater see light on the horizon who am I to not giving a remix a try...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 4, 2023 12:51

James Kirk
This song is the low point of the Stones career from a generally underrated record.

It’s NOT A rated Stones album. And even then, it’s over rated.

Rod

Date: January 4, 2023 16:42

Doxa
treaclefingers

Just bloody great!

Blame yourself, treacle! We were here discussing a non-disputed classic from DIRTY WORK, and you went and picked up a wrong song from the album...

- Doxa

It's NOT my fault! Maxtil posted the video to Winning Ugly espousing the virtues of this piece of mid-80s stones magnificence!

It was click bait!

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: January 4, 2023 16:45

Back To Zero is a catchy tune. Yes, it's more like Jagger's solo stuff and it's very much of its time, but compared to Goin' Home, Send It To Me, Sad Day or Indian Girl (Where is your Mama?), Back To Zero is an inspired song.

I get a kick out of seeing how much some of you are driven mad by your hatred towards Dirty Work. You don't miss a chance to voice your opinion, that's for sure.

It was a great album to play air guitar to in my teenage years in front of the mirror. I wish they'd release a new album this year with songs as memorable and as catchy as the ones on Dirty Work. Bigger Bang! Now that's an album that tries to impress only with its in-your-face loudness...

To me, One Hit or Fight does not sound worse or less driven than Ghost Town.

Gotta hate Mike Love, Phil Collins, Robbie Robertson... All this nonsense about musicians we don't even know in person. I don't hate any musicians, any albums, any songs.

So now it's it's time for more hate-filled comments related to Dirty Work.

Date: January 4, 2023 16:49

frenki09
Back To Zero is a catchy tune. Yes, it's more like Jagger's solo stuff and it's very much of its time, but compared to Goin' Home, Send It To Me, Sad Day or Indian Girl (Where is your Mama?), Back To Zero is an inspired song.

I get a kick out of seeing how much some of you are driven mad by your hatred towards Dirty Work. You don't miss a chance to voice your opinion, that's for sure.

It was a great album to play air guitar to in my teenage years in front of the mirror. I wish they'd release a new album this year with songs as memorable and as catchy as the ones on Dirty Work. Bigger Bang! Now that's an album that tries to impress only with its in-your-face loudness...

To me, One Hit or Fight does not sound worse or less driven than Ghost Town.

Gotta hate Mike Love, Phil Collins, Robbie Robertson... All this nonsense about musicians we don't even know in person. I don't hate any musicians, any albums, any songs.

So now it's it's time for more hate-filled comments related to Dirty Work.

Don't be frustrated with the fact that the majority don't share your feelings towards the record. Dirty Work is and has always been a bit of a punching bag put at a low point in the bands career but that doesn't mean it doesn't speak to an audience.

But understand it's a relatively small audience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-04 17:37 by treaclefingers.

Date: January 4, 2023 17:09

ProfessorWolf

I've often pondered that about the DW album. It would have to be radical. I think several songs could take on a completely new identity.
But the one ingredient that would remain, and IMO negates the experiment, are Jagger's vocals. Winning Ugly, Zero, Hold Back, Fight, all feature terrible LV.

The good parts of the album like 'Harlem", "Too Rude", "Had it with you" and "One Hit" are great.

"Dirty Work" the title track starts out so good, and then just takes a left turn, and gets lost somewhere in the meadow.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 4, 2023 17:19

treaclefingers

Just bloody great!

Treacle, seriously...if we didn't have "Winning Ugly," we could never have "Ruthless People."

Now go and dig up the 1985 interview where Keith brags about his opening riff to "Winning Ugly" and how his peers are coming up to him asking him how he came up with it. And this before the album was even released.

Date: January 4, 2023 17:39

Rocky Dijon
treaclefingers

Just bloody great!

Treacle, seriously...if we didn't have "Winning Ugly," we could never have "Ruthless People."

Now go and dig up the 1985 interview where Keith brags about his opening riff to "Winning Ugly" and how his peers are coming up to him asking him how he came up with it. And this before the album was even released.

Ha, Ruthless People...I have that on a 45 somewhere.

Listen, if I remember correctly Dirty Work was their best album since Exile, which would make Winning Ugly the "Rocks Off" of the 80s...or something.

Date: January 4, 2023 18:06

how can this be the same band which was so brilliant 3 years before (both on record and tour)

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: January 4, 2023 20:50

Rocky Dijon
treaclefingers
Winning Ugly was chosen as a third single off the album after Harlem and One hit, so they must’ve really liked that song. Or at least someone did. Haven’t seen that single a lot on Stones compilations…

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: January 4, 2023 21:16

padre69
Rocky Dijon
treaclefingers
Winning Ugly was chosen as a third single off the album after Harlem and One hit, so they must’ve really liked that song. Or at least someone did. Haven’t seen that single a lot on Stones compilations…

Admitted, the opening riff to Winning Ugly sounds promising and original. In view of what other singles could have been released from DW, there wasn't a better choice for a 3rd single other than Winning Ugly and maybe Too Rude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-04 21:17 by skytrench.

Date: January 4, 2023 22:23

skytrench
padre69
Rocky Dijon
treaclefingers

Admitted, the opening riff to Winning Ugly sounds promising and original. In view of what other singles could have been released from DW, there wasn't a better choice for a 3rd single other than Winning Ugly and maybe Too Rude.

Only a single in Canada I believe. Which is why both the 7" and 12" release are so rare and perhaps also why it hasn't been on any compilations...that and it's an awful song.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 5, 2023 01:55

ProfessorWolf

Nah, bad songs are bad songs. Remixing can't help them.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1939
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home