Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Back To Zero
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: December 31, 2008 05:48

back to zero together with suck on the jugular and streets of love are the 3 worst stones song.
worth zero!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 31, 2008 05:57

The secret ta Dirty Work is ta play at MASSIVE VOLUME
while viewin' the nightly world news....The rush of da whole
thing and then the breathers or resting spots only coming with
Harlem Shuffle.....Too Rude......Sleep Tonight...silence....then the beauty of Stu's piano ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 31, 2008 15:26

guitarbastard - I actually like Suck On the Jugular. I'm with you on the other two. STreets of Love is a pathetic song!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 25, 2019 00:36

Love it or hate it, this track seems eerily appropriate to the times we are living in now and the anxieties that some of us are experiencing about the future.

I worry about my great grandchildren, living ten miles beneath the ground
I worry about their whole existence, the whole damn thing's in doubt
Back to zero, that's where we're going, back to nothing, that's where we're heading
Straight to meltdown, that's where we're going, back to zero, right now, right now

Drew

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2019 00:45

Horrible

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 25, 2019 00:52

Goddamn, this thread has been buried for 11 years. That's frightening.

Not one of my favorite songs for sure, to put it mildly.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 25, 2019 02:49

It's a good funk number as is "Suck on the Jugular." There's not much more to them, though Mick does his monkey routine again as on "Monkey Man." Not my least favorite track on DIRTY WORK by a long shot. Right about dead center.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 25, 2019 02:58

This is the Stones', "Turn The Girl Loose".

Awful.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 25, 2019 03:13

The bridge is ok

Date: September 25, 2019 03:30

treaclefingers
This is the Stones', "Turn The Girl Loose".

Awful.

"Turn the Girl Loose" is awful unless one has always wanted to hear Mick make up lyrics to "Chopsticks."

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 25, 2019 04:04

This song could work live if Mick and Trump were to share lead vocals. I think it'd be a real crowd-pleaser. Maybe a few years down the road...

Date: September 25, 2019 04:24

The song is very much rooted in Reagan-era nuclear proliferation. "Running Too Deep" is at least about the environment among other things.

Even meant as a joke, the duet remark is pointless. Mick cannot stand the man based on their past interaction let alone ideological differences.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 25, 2019 07:18

Dreadful song from a dreadful album

Date: September 25, 2019 07:47

Dreadful song from a dreadful album

….heck slew ...reads like a line from Streets Of Love …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 25, 2019 10:32

Rocky Dijon
The song is very much rooted in Reagan-era nuclear proliferation. "Running Too Deep" is at least about the environment among other things.

Even meant as a joke, the duet remark is pointless. Mick cannot stand the man based on their past interaction let alone ideological differences.

Yes, I failed to consider the historical milieu in which the song was written. Hoping for a duet with Ronald Reagan would have been less anachronistic…though equally pointless since he’s dust. A thousand apologies. I’ll have to live with the shame. (Yes, ‘Running Too Deep’ is at least about the environment. Uh, well observed.)

On the other hand, if we allow that nuclear conflict remains a terrifying possibility even today wouldn’t Trump cut an ironic figure singing ‘Back To Zero’ after pledging to make America great again? Anyways, the image of Trump and Jagger sharing a stage brought a smile to my face so I thought it might to others as well. My bad. I admit I was negligent in not carefully researching their ideological differences. Again, I apologize and have requested BV to crack down on stupid, pointless jokes, especially when discussing the sacred songs of Dirty Work.

But are you 100% sure Mick wouldn’t crawl into bed with Donald if the price were right?

Date: September 25, 2019 14:54

I wasn't offended by the joke itself just leery of yet another thread blowing up over nothing and then getting closed. You've probably noticed there are folks here just dying to fight over very nearly anything.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 25, 2019 15:13

Rocky Dijon
I wasn't offended by the joke itself just leery of yet another thread blowing up over nothing and then getting closed. You've probably noticed there are folks here just dying to fight over very nearly anything.
Yeah, just...ixnay on the Umptray.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 25, 2019 15:58

good bridge otherwise the title says it all!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 25, 2019 20:52

Went back and listened again. Still sucks

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 25, 2019 21:06

I hate bashing one track on DW only. Similar to Exile, where on that one it's not about how great an individual track is, but rather a masterful collection of greatness ... w/ DW it is a collection of my least favorite Stones tracks ...

[*] Fight
    [*] Dirty Work
    [*] Hold Back
    [*] Winning Ugly
    [*] Back To Zero

Specific to Back To Zero, to me it has no redeeming qualities. Bad music, poor signing, horrible lyrics (atomic/nuclear destruction was a related topic for 60s and early 70s, but by this time it is just rehashed cliche).

In summary, a really bad song. Much of the same critique applies to the other tracks listed above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-25 21:25 by LeonidP.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: September 25, 2019 22:15

Excellent. Love this one.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 25, 2019 23:48

back to zero is terrible.

Date: September 26, 2019 00:27

---------->>>>>>> [www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 26, 2019 01:00

I liked it when it came out. It hasn't aged well.

That aside, it's still better than Winning Ugly, which is horrendously awful bad. It probably has the most interesting production of the entire album. It actually sounds different.

There are some Stones songs when I've wondered, if it didn't have this title or these lyrics would it be an otherwise OK song?

This one is in that realm. Something like Streets Of Love or Winning Ugly or Sweet Neo Con or Might As Well Get Juiced are just bad all the way around.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 26, 2019 02:28

if the beatles had released winning ugly in 1964 the beatlemania brigade would have lapped it up as a great song. because there are folk who cant be objective as they let bias get in the way. no one ever criticises a beatles song, its just not allowed.

theres nothing like perception.

if someone tries to like certain songs they may just convince themselves, i tried to like dirtywork, and put a lot of effort in, but i gave up, and will never stick up for anything on the album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 26, 2019 02:30

"no one ever criticises a beatles song, its just not allowed".

Lol...grinning smiley ...ridiculous.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 26, 2019 03:38

buttons67
if the beatles had released winning ugly in 1964 the beatlemania brigade would have lapped it up as a great song. because there are folk who cant be objective as they let bias get in the way. no one ever criticises a beatles song, its just not allowed.

theres nothing like perception.

if someone tries to like certain songs they may just convince themselves, i tried to like dirtywork, and put a lot of effort in, but i gave up, and will never stick up for anything on the album.

You just posted above that Back To Zero is horrible. Several posted they love it, you must hate that due to bias getting in the way. Why can't you be objective?

I love the Beatles, but they have shite of their own. Lady Madonna, never got that one. Fixing a Hole, to me, is terrible.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 26, 2019 04:32

Yeah, BTZ is hideous. I was 14 when this record came out, so very desperate for the release of the album. I liked Harlem Shuffle enough, but there was over a month between that single and the album release. I just remember one song after another thinking, man, this is just not good. BTZ was embarrassingly bad. I couldn’t decide if it was worse than Hold Back or not, but it was painfully bad. I liked exactly three songs on the record.. Sleep Tonight, Too Rude, and Harlem Shuffle. The rest were badly mixed, badly performed, and badly written. Especially BTZ and Hold Back!

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: September 26, 2019 21:17

A poor attempt for a James Brown groove. But with a better bridge than Sex Drive.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 27, 2019 17:26

Beautiful song, nice text too.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1324
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home