Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: LSTNT- The Stones best concert film?
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 9, 2008 15:26

My favorite is "Ladies and Gentlemen",althought the Robbie Stadium is also great!!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 10, 2008 05:29

the thing about lstnt is that i watch it everytime it is on cable and i own the dvd and watch that alot also, its just fun to watch even with all the edits for some reason

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 10, 2008 11:46

THis is a love/hate period for me. I loved it because it was my first experience seeing them live. But I loathed their presentation....Mick wearing the Members Only Jacket with those terrible football pants and knee pads!!! And the garish stage "art" that adorned their sets made them look like some cheap 50's wanna be band. Live though they sounded pretty ragged and raunchy, which was great. But Mick's voice just seemed shot. It sounded so hoarse and strained.... so for me LSTNT isn't such a great treat to the ears and eyes!! I think their best officially released one is Gimmie Shelter, and Rock and Roll Circus. For modern I think Live Licks is damn good! And has a hell of a lot of music on it. Now it is time for them to officially release Ladies and Gentlemen on DVD. I don't understand why they don't! It was officially released... this is the behavior of extreme laziness in preserving their history that is so frustrating!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 10, 2008 18:47

Mick's "singing" in LSTNT is more akin to taking a dump - just oofing. His singing in Gimme Shelter was excellent.

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: December 10, 2008 20:04

HelterSkelter
Come on..... the Pay per view (Hampton Roads, Virginia was better than Hal Ashby's disjointed, none smooth - flowing effort).

The pay per view was actually directed by Hal Ashby...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 10, 2008 20:12

It's difficult to rate separately the film and the performance. As a film in itself, I always found Shelter a bore. All those interviews remind me of that old Woody Allen movie Take the money and Run. But it is the only way to see some decent footage of that great tour.

L&G is great because the band is great. But the images don't add to the music. If SAL is Jagger-centric, what about L&G? Is there anybody else in the band?

LSTNT is the first film that actually works by itself. The images are great. They follow the rhythm of the music. Add that the 81 tour was a fantastic one, and that's it. I agree that it would have been better to have a shorter set list but unedited songs, rather than the opposite. True that any non-fan wouldn't notice the difference, but who else would want to see LSTNT if not a diehard fan?

C

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 11, 2008 01:00

skipstone
Mick's "singing" in LSTNT is more akin to taking a dump - just oofing. His singing in Gimme Shelter was excellent.

But you did notice the two or three days beetween ?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 12, 2008 12:40

I remember that LSTNT wast the very first time when I heard / saw the Stones and it didn't impress me. If it was some other movie / concert, I would probably become a fan much earlier. As I see it now, it is not bad at all, but there are many many other DVDs that I prefer, both offiacial and bootlegs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-12 12:40 by Happy24.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 12, 2008 12:51

liddas
It's difficult to rate separately the film and the performance. As a film in itself, I always found Shelter a bore. All those interviews remind me of that old Woody Allen movie Take the money and Run. But it is the only way to see some decent footage of that great tour.

L&G is great because the band is great. But the images don't add to the music. If SAL is Jagger-centric, what about L&G? Is there anybody else in the band?

LSTNT is the first film that actually works by itself. The images are great. They follow the rhythm of the music. Add that the 81 tour was a fantastic one, and that's it. I agree that it would have been better to have a shorter set list but unedited songs, rather than the opposite. True that any non-fan wouldn't notice the difference, but who else would want to see LSTNT if not a diehard fan?

C

If memory serves, Start Me Up on LSTNT is an awesomely good version. You can this tremendous surge forwards in the crowd as the song starts. Fantastic stuff!

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: December 12, 2008 17:29

Let's not forget Charlie Is My Darling - I really like the live footage in that film - so basic and naive but somehow the performances are still great and just look how young the audience is - most under 20 I would say

Andy

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 12, 2008 17:39

I agree.I wish this could get an official DVD release.
Why not, it has a certain charm, almost antique value.
One assumes legal issues + money matters are the reason.

(I also think that CHARLIE'S Ode to a Flying Bird book, should be released again, but at a sensible price.)

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 1, 2010 02:46

I thought I did not like this old weary thing, but it was DVRd for free on tube, and we put it on for fun, and wow .... I love it. It is just the raggedy rockers, not too many backup singers/players etc. This was my first shows/tour, and 30 shows and 30 years later this has become a sweet young memory. Seeing KEEF the rocker doing his thing, Ronnie doing his thing... and they look ... and vibe so ..... so ummm? ...... fresh ?.......... the raggedy guitars weaving. It not a wall of sight/sound/production, like recent tours, Mic does not seem so businessminded, ( maybe the wrong word )it is all sort of simple, and cool. The singing, and guitars and drums, and to see KEEF run up to the mic, in a hurry, cuz of oops ; ) .... and then to see/hear his singing added on ..... pretty cool. Sure the Hal Ashby movie has flaws, but they are cool too.

This is a nice piece of the Stones history...it has become a guilty pleasure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-01 02:48 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 1, 2010 02:49

nashville
Let's not forget Charlie Is My Darling - I really like the live footage in that film - so basic and naive but somehow the performances are still great and just look how young the audience is - most under 20 I would say

Andy

?

There is no live music - well, no live concert music - in that movie.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 1, 2010 03:06

From what I can tell they've officially done two "concert" films - LSTNT and SAL. The rest are just shows that were recorded or one that was half miming (At The Max). LSTNT gets the nod for me but it's still too long.

If that is what you mean.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 1, 2010 04:07

skipstone
CB is awful but it, just like all of the others, does have some interesting things in it.

Keith & Bobby tossing the television a rock cliche but hilarious anyway.

Keith at the front desk of the hotel chatting with the Texas biddies and chicks.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: January 1, 2010 04:14

I really enjoy LSTNT, but I thini i enjoy Live at the Max a little more!

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 1, 2010 04:41

I don't know what you mean by concert films but the best proshot video is Ladies & Gentlemen hands down..Excellent footage of the Stones in their prime in 1972....

Foe 81 shows the Hampton Beach pay per view blows away LSTNT....There are great versions on bootleg DVD

for official releases I would take the 97 St. Louis BtB DVD or Voodoo Lounge Miami DVD over the LSTNT DVD...Hate the stage presentation of LSTNT and the songs are too rushed and edited for my taste.

The Best proshot video of the Stones is on bootleg sadly....L&G, LA Froum 75, Paris 76, Hampton Beach 81, Atlantic City 89. Tokyo 95, etc......

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 1, 2010 11:47

it has one HUGE flaw imo : some songs have been sped-up ridiculously. Listen to ADTLine : it's just dreadful!
-So no it's not the best. Nice shot of Keith 'in action' during YCAGYW though thumbs up

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: January 1, 2010 12:19

ABB - Saitama
Licks - TO Rehearsals, HBO
BTB - pretty much all sucked but St. L., Bremen, Argentina, 10-Spot
VL - Oakland or Giants, Stripped
SW - AC & Tokyo
81 - Hampton
78 - Ft. W.
76 - Paris or Knebworth
75 - LA
72 - L&G
70 - Marquee
69 - GS

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 1, 2010 19:31

Gimme Shelter, Ladies and Gentleman, the video release of Vodoo Lounge, video release of BTB, Shine A Light, Four Flicks and Bang are ALL better than LSTNT!!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 1, 2010 19:47

slew
Gimme Shelter, Ladies and Gentleman, the video release of Vodoo Lounge, video release of BTB, Shine A Light, Four Flicks and Bang are ALL better than LSTNT!!

Well said!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1487
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home