Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: OT: Desert Trip 2017
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: February 9, 2017 18:01

swimtothemoon
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young could be a possibility. Neil Young has recently
said he is completely open to the reunion idea.

I doubt Nash would be completely open to the reunion idea

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: February 9, 2017 18:02

Crosby's an idiot. He ripped Desert Trip last year, and was wrong on virtually every aspect. (Of course if he keeps running down people with his Tesla he might have to change his tune):

"... all it is really is a parking lot, an empty field, a few acres of dust. You're standing there for hours and hours. They sell you a bottle of water for $4.90. You can't tell who's onstage because they're a pinprick - that's why (Mick) Jagger waves a scarf around, man: he's so far away you can't tell it's him. The sound outdoors at that place is c**p. The situation is c**p, "It's a great story to be able to say: 'I was there, I saw the Rolling Stones with Neil (Young) and everybody all at once'. But it's a lousy concert. You could give me tickets and I wouldn't go."

That last sentence would apply to me if I were given tix to see CSN&Y.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: February 9, 2017 18:04

DeanGoodman
Crosby's an idiot. He ripped Desert Trip last year, and was wrong on virtually every aspect. (Of course if he keeps running down people with his Tesla he might have to change his tune):

"... all it is really is a parking lot, an empty field, a few acres of dust. You're standing there for hours and hours. They sell you a bottle of water for $4.90. You can't tell who's onstage because they're a pinprick - that's why (Mick) Jagger waves a scarf around, man: he's so far away you can't tell it's him. The sound outdoors at that place is c**p. The situation is c**p, "It's a great story to be able to say: 'I was there, I saw the Rolling Stones with Neil (Young) and everybody all at once'. But it's a lousy concert. You could give me tickets and I wouldn't go."

actually water was $2.00

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: February 9, 2017 18:17

The Kinks ??

David Gilmour ??

Date: February 9, 2017 18:18

reg thorpe

actually water was $2.00

... and refills were free.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 9, 2017 18:26

jaggerman
The Kinks ??

David Gilmour ??

The Kinks are rumoured to be performing at Glastonbury so might be up for an appearance.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 9, 2017 18:50

reg thorpe
DeanGoodman

actually water was $2.00

HaHa - yes I forgot about Crosby's comments. Too funny!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 9, 2017 20:05

jumpontopofmebaby
likecats
Hairball

Heads up to anyone thinking of going this year: the minute the dates are rumoured (not confirmed), book hotel immediately while prices are still normal and sane with free cancellation.
After the dates (and bands) are confirmed, prices skyrocketed and choices of where to stay became very slim.

Yep, I'll second that. I got a room at a Motel 6 in Indio before the dates were confirmed. The concert ticket was so expensive I decided to save on accommodations. After I parked at the motel I didn't use my car again, I just rode my bike to the show each day. It was nice to zip out of the parking lot afterwards.

I think Oct 13th, 14th and 15th would be a safe bet. Knowing they have reserved two weekends at the concert site . So I think those dates would either be the 1st or the 2nd weekend for sure. However based on last years experience. I prefer the 2nd weekend. One I think the bands stepped it up it up a little and if you are patient you can get scalped tickets for less. Also the week days between shows there were some cool small venues played like Neil at the Fox.

I'd agree on those dates, and agree about the 2nd weekend being better as the bands did step it up - especially the Stones with a much better setlist. However, scalped tickets via stubhub were also readily available at heavily discounted prices for weekend one as well. While I opted to keep my cheap GA in the back for weekend one*, for weekend two I watched prices drop drastically and decided to upgrade to a 3day Pit pass for around $300 - more or less! (*Weekend one day one I was able to roam freely through all sections towards the front due to unorganized ushers - they cracked down the next two days, but was still able to upgrade).

The Neil Young shows at the Fox theater rank up there with the best I've seen by any band anywhere.

As for the Crosby comment - he sounds like a bitter old man with brain damage out of touch with reality, and was upset because he wasn't involved in any way. Coming from someone who was at both Woodstock and Altamont, he's seemingly stuck in the dark ages of the 60's and has no clue. Desert Trip was state of the art, and was beyond any expectations I had going in. The last festival prior to that I went to was US 83, and that was primitive in comparison to Desert Trip.

Posted by: Peterh ()
Date: February 9, 2017 20:44

Cool names are mentioned. I would not rule out Springsteen or AC/DC or Metallica

I think if there will be a DT 2017 they will not go with the 'current' huge acts like Coldplay or Muse or Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band or Foo Fighters.. Still a great line up, but just a bit too current when you have the chance to get 'old' bands while they are still playing..

Date: February 9, 2017 21:23

Peterh
Cool names are mentioned. I would not rule out Springsteen or AC/DC or Metallica

I think if there will be a DT 2017 they will not go with the 'current' huge acts like Coldplay or Muse or Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band or Foo Fighters.. Still a great line up, but just a bit too current when you have the chance to get 'old' bands while they are still playing..

Don't most those bands play coachella? Desert Trip I thought was more 60's and early 70's Bands. Classic Rock.

Date: February 9, 2017 21:25

Last year they announced the line up early May.

Date: February 9, 2017 21:43

I think the idea of Desert Trip is to cater to a different, more upscale crowd than the Coachella crowd.

Posted by: Peterh ()
Date: February 9, 2017 21:53

I think the 2 mayor headlining acts create a different 'festival' feel to it. It is much different than Coachella where every band on DT2016 could have played.. Creating a unique experience bringing together mayor headliners has proven to be very successful. Now the discussions if it would be feasible, re ticket prices, to put another one together started after day 1.. I personally think this is possible.. surely it will never be as legendary as the 2016 edition, but with great bands still around it should be possible. We shall see. I personally enjoyed both weekends more than I had anticipated beforehand and will be back for sure if I like the lineup. A weekend at the pool with friends and go to see some amazing music at night.. what else is there to wish for?

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: February 9, 2017 22:00

RollingFreak
I'm not sure why people would think Zeppelin. I mean I do, but no act last year was someone that isn't already around. It was just an assembling of all the biggest acts from the 60s. But they are all still active, there were no reunions, the festival didn't bring together anything really special aside from getting these legends in the same place for two weekends. So I think when you're looking for acts this year people are relying too much on the need for reunions and stuff. That wasn't what last year's thing was like at all.

If I recall, the festival organizers actually stated that they were booking bands that were still playing, not trying to get reunions going. Still, since much of the speculation is more of a wish list anyway, I'm not surprised Led Zeppelin is one of the top wishes since they have the same legendary status as the 2016 acts. No offense to all the other 60's-70's bands who are still playing but it's hard to match the 2016 line-up unless you're talking about Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. If Paul and Ringo would play an entire show together, not just a one-song guest appearance, that would probably be a big draw too. I doubt any of those three will ever happen and I'll bet the organizers are looking for an all-new line-up for 2017 anyway, so likely no Paul McCartney or Roger Waters again.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: February 9, 2017 22:10

jumpontopofmebaby

The Zeppelin rumor is there because they were made an offer last year from the promoters. Also the rumor is that Page and Plant were both at Desert Trip one. along with U2 and others. I would not rule out Zeppelin. But if they are in ticket prices will high high high

I've heard the rumor about Page and Plant several times. Has that ever been confirmed by anyone who was backstage? Well, I guess if it was confirmed then it wouldn't be a rumor and I just answered my own question. Moving right along....
I know that Robert Plant did a show in L.A. on one of the DT weekend 1 nights so it seems quite reasonable he could have been backstage at DT on other nights.

I agree that if Led Zeppelin flew again for DT the prices would be stratospheric and the tickets would still sell out in minutes. I think they're still on a lot of people's bucket lists.

Date: February 9, 2017 22:30

likecats
jumpontopofmebaby

The Zeppelin rumor is there because they were made an offer last year from the promoters. Also the rumor is that Page and Plant were both at Desert Trip one. along with U2 and others. I would not rule out Zeppelin. But if they are in ticket prices will high high high

I've heard the rumor about Page and Plant several times. Has that ever been confirmed by anyone who was backstage? Well, I guess if it was confirmed then it wouldn't be a rumor and I just answered my own question. Moving right along....
I know that Robert Plant did a show in L.A. on one of the DT weekend 1 nights so it seems quite reasonable he could have been backstage at DT on other nights.

I agree that if Led Zeppelin flew again for DT the prices would be stratospheric and the tickets would still sell out in minutes. I think they're still on a lot of people's bucket lists.

The Grand Stands had special seating areas at the very top. They were like press boxes kinda except they had black curtain like things hanging in the front of each one so you could not see who was in them if they did not want you to. And they could open them when the lights went down and the bands came on. When I was there walking around I thought that must be where the rich and famous are hanging out. My guess it was where the promoters whined and dined this years talent!

Date: February 9, 2017 23:29

U2
Eric Clapton
Bruce Springsteen
Tom Petty
Bob Seeger
Fleetwood Mac
Grateful Dead

Just a wild guess - these just seemed realistic. But Once you see a list of possible bands - it becomes difficult to see Desert Trip 2 having the same draw as the fist desert trip. Although if some form of LED Zepplin would be included, Desert Trip 2 would be huge.

I reserved a hotel room. The prices for rooms seem to be climbing for those two
weekends - so something must be in the works. As long as you secure a room which
you can cancel there seems to be no risk. Not all the hotels allow the cancel
feature so you need to be sure this is allowed before you book.

Date: February 9, 2017 23:49

DeanGoodman
I think the idea of Desert Trip is to cater to a different, more upscale crowd than the Coachella crowd.

I agree.

Date: February 9, 2017 23:54

swimtothemoon
U2
Eric Clapton
Bruce Springsteen
Tom Petty
Bob Seeger
Fleetwood Mac
Grateful Dead

Just a wild guess - these just seemed realistic. But Once you see a list of possible bands - it becomes difficult to see Desert Trip 2 having the same draw as the fist desert trip. Although if some form of LED Zepplin would be included, Desert Trip 2 would be huge.

I reserved a hotel room. The prices for rooms seem to be climbing for those two
weekends - so something must be in the works. As long as you secure a room which
you can cancel there seems to be no risk. Not all the hotels allow the cancel
feature so you need to be sure this is allowed before you book.

Just the checked a few Marriots near Indio Calif. NADA! Remember Last year people reserved and bought rooms then resold them for a higher price.

I think I might just car / van camp this time!

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: February 10, 2017 00:13

FRIDAY NIGHT - AC/DC & GUNS N ROSES
SATURDAY NIGHT - AEROSMITH & PLANT/PAGE
SUNDAY NIGHT - CSN&Y & SPRINGSTEEN

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 10, 2017 00:28

After the current round of shows in Australia and New Zealand Springsteen won't be playing in concert again this year.Some solo projects for the band members and then who knows hopefully back on the road next year.

Nate

Date: February 10, 2017 01:11

Doing a bit of research, are we even sure there will be a Desert Trip II?

Interview snippet with organizer Paul Tollet (New York Times, July 2016)

Q:Your other new event, Desert Trip, has the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Roger Waters and the Who. Is that what you have to do to make a music festival stand out in 2016?

A: No. That is a unique, one-off thing. It’s not really a festival — it’s a concert, two bands a day. I just thought those six bands should play together. It’s never been done.

And from JamBase ( July 2016):

Desert Trip, the festival featuring The Who, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Neil Young and Roger Waters will take place October 7 – 9 and October 14 – 16 at Empire Polo Field in Indio, California. The man who dreamed up the festival, AEG/Goldenvoice’s Paul Tollett recently revealed the insane amount of money sales for Desert Trip have brought in.

Tollett told the New York Times that “the gross [for Desert Trip] is approximately $160 million for the two weekends.” He also said it’s not a festival that Desert Trip, “is a unique, one-off thing.” So those rumors of a second edition next year may not be true. Tollett said Desert Trip is “the highest-grossing show by far. It beat No. 2, which is Coachella, by far.” Coachella featured over 150 acts while Desert Trip – referred to by some as “Oldchella” – will see performances by just six bands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-10 01:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 10, 2017 01:35

I would think Van Halen would be high on the list

Date: February 10, 2017 14:55

Hairball

Q:Your other new event, Desert Trip, has the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Roger Waters and the Who. Is that what you have to do to make a music festival stand out in 2016?

A: No. That is a unique, one-off thing. It’s not really a festival — it’s a concert, two bands a day. I just thought those six bands should play together. It’s never been done.

Desert Trip, the festival featuring The Who, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Neil Young and Roger Waters will take place October 7 – 9 and October 14 – 16 at Empire Polo Field in Indio, California. The man who dreamed up the festival, AEG/Goldenvoice’s Paul Tollett recently revealed the insane amount of money sales for Desert Trip have brought in.

Tollett told the New York Times that “the gross [for Desert Trip] is approximately $160 million for the two weekends.” He also said it’s not a festival that Desert Trip, “is a unique, one-off thing.” So those rumors of a second edition next year may not be true. Tollett said Desert Trip is “the highest-grossing show by far. It beat No. 2, which is Coachella, by far.” Coachella featured over 150 acts while Desert Trip – referred to by some as “Oldchella” – will see performances by just six bands.

The one-off thing might have been been the original thought. And the $160 million I think was just ticket sales. So there is other monies to add to that total. Not sure what the NET profit was. But I am sure it was huge. Anyway when I went last year to Desert Trip I stayed with my friends aunt and uncle who live in La Quinta. The uncle is a public official. He told us and it was in the local paper on the while we were there that they had already reserved the site for two weekends in October for this year. I say game on BWTFDIK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-10 14:56 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: February 10, 2017 18:37

DREAMTIME

Dreamtime has been correct about these things in the past. So I would think
this has a good chance of being the lineup - at least as it stands today. By
the way he is the man to speak to about hotel reservations etc. He sure helped
me last year.

Date: February 10, 2017 19:37

jumpontopofmebaby
Hairball

The one-off thing might have been been the original thought. And the $160 million I think was just ticket sales. So there is other monies to add to that total. Not sure what the NET profit was. But I am sure it was huge. Anyway when I went last year to Desert Trip I stayed with my friends aunt and uncle who live in La Quinta. The uncle is a public official. He told us and it was in the local paper on the while we were there that they had already reserved the site for two weekends in October for this year. I say game on BWTFDIK

thumbs up

Yeah, WTFDIK either!

Just trying to search out more recent rumours (specifically rumoured dates), and mostly all I could find (other than outdated quotes) were wish lists similar to whats happening on this thread! And the more I read, the more I reminisced, and the more I reminisced, the more I remember how much of a blast it was for the entire two weekend extravaganza! I'd really like to do it all over again at least one of the weekends (even though the lineup will never match last years), but not sure what they could put together that would make me sign the dotted line. Maybe I'll book a refundable hotel room, and then hold out buying tickets until the last minute vis stubhub - if it's anything like last year, there will be massive discounts to be had. By the way, the official shuttle service was top notch - $25 for the entire weekend with a variety of different routes spread out all over the area.

One question...WHAT ARE THE RUMOURED DATES?

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 10, 2017 20:30

swimtothemoon
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young could be a possibility. Neil Young has recently
said he is completely open to the reunion idea.

Graham Nash is not talking with any of his former bandmates except for Stills.
He and Crosby had a huge falling out last year.
Crosby is not a fan of these types of events also.
Wishful thinking, but I dont think it will happen.

Date: February 10, 2017 21:58

Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby
Hairball

thumbs up

Yeah, WTFDIK either!

Just trying to search out more recent rumours (specifically rumoured dates), and mostly all I could find (other than outdated quotes) were wish lists similar to whats happening on this thread! And the more I read, the more I reminisced, and the more I reminisced, the more I remember how much of a blast it was for the entire two weekend extravaganza! I'd really like to do it all over again at least one of the weekends (even though the lineup will never match last years), but not sure what they could put together that would make me sign the dotted line. Maybe I'll book a refundable hotel room, and then hold out buying tickets until the last minute vis stubhub - if it's anything like last year, there will be massive discounts to be had. By the way, the official shuttle service was top notch - $25 for the entire weekend with a variety of different routes spread out all over the area.

One question...WHAT ARE THE RUMOURED DATES?

As far as I have heard the rumored dates are October 6,7,8 for weekend 1
Weekend 2: 13,14,15

If you check pricing and hotel availability on Expedia, this seems to confirm those dates as the demand appears to drop off the following weekend in October.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 10, 2017 22:09

Eric Clapton is already doing 2 shows at the Forum in September and something like Desert Trip would have a radius clause.

Bonnaroo is supposed to be U2's only festival appearance.

Tom Petty & Fleetwood Mac are highly probable based on no Tom Petty So Cal date yet and Fleetwood Mac's tour scheduled to start in October.

I also wouldn't be surprised if sometime Coachella headliners such as The Cure, Depeche Mode, Coldplay, Radiohead eventually do it.

I heard Dave Grohl had a huge falling out with Goldenvoice over an incident during Them Crooked Vultures at Coachella in 2010.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 17:21 by Dan.

Date: February 10, 2017 23:02

swimtothemoon
DREAMTIME

Dreamtime has been correct about these things in the past. So I would think
this has a good chance of being the lineup - at least as it stands today. By
the way he is the man to speak to about hotel reservations etc. He sure helped
me last year.

Man I hope that is wrong..... the Angus / Axel / DC and the G & R thing would probably be a deal breaker for me. Both great bands but AC /DC is not the same and G & R just does not seem to fit.

However the Page / Plant thing kinda makes since from what I have read John Paul Jones has been the hold out for a reunion. So heck with him let Page / Plant / Janson Bonham fire it up. They would bring in the same amount of people.

Aerosmith I think is a no brainer. They are on their fair well tour and will be hitting the US about that time

Talking Heads / U2

Aerosmith / Page and Plant

Tom Petty / Fleetwood Mac

Boom Boom Boom ....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-10 23:24 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2049
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home